7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues

Alex88

Hey Guys I just published this article about 7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues and thought you might want to check it out. Also I am sharing a short and sweet version here.

The Incidence of mental health issues has significantly increased over the last few years.

People are experiencing a variety of mental health problems ranging from minimal everyday worries to severe and even life-threatening conditions.

How can we battle this developing problem?

We all have different ways to cope with the symptoms caused by our mental health. Some resort to prescription medications, while others seek comfort in therapy.

In the past few years, there has been a significant incline in the use of animals to assist in mitigating the symptoms caused by mental health.

Are pets really the best strategy to use to tame our demons?

Let’s dive into this new trend to uncover the 7 ways pets have been known to alleviate mental health issues.

# 1. Improve your sleep with the help of a pet

The Topic of Concern: Sleeping Disorders

What is a sleeping disorder?

Sleep disorders are conditions that cause a drastic change in sleeping patterns which can negatively affect one’s health.

What are the main causes of sleeping disorders?

1) Medical Problems - Such as, suffering from chronic conditions like migraine, arthritis, lupus syndrome etc.

2) Psychiatric Disorders - For example, anxiety conditions and depressive disorders.

3) Environmental Issues - Which are things that surround you, such as your partner snoring, or lighting in your room.

One or more symptoms you may experience:

1) Difficulty falling or staying asleep

2) Day time fatigue

3) Irritability or anxiety

4) Urge to take day time naps

What are some solutions to this problem?

Read more on the actual post.

jaminhealth

I grew up with cats and dogs outside in their doghouse and cats just were around...never had them in the house, so don't want them now. Had a couple cats when daughter was growing up and could not wait to get rid of cat litter boxes....never again.

Last thing I want is a cat or dog waking me with their plea for food or go out...so I know what works in my life.

I've posted about my great sleep in a couple threads here and the one with Sleep Apnea business gives the whole recipe that I use. I sleep a good 10 hrs nightly and approaching 82 this year. Sleep is VITAL.

Alex88

Original Poster
I grew up with cats and dogs outside in their doghouse and cats just were around...never had them in the house, so don't want them now. Had a couple cats when daughter was growing up and could not wait to get rid of cat litter boxes....never again.

Last thing I want is a cat or dog waking me with their plea for food or go out...so I know what works in my life.

I've posted about my great sleep in a couple threads here and the one with Sleep Apnea business gives the whole recipe that I use. I sleep a good 10 hrs nightly and approaching 82 this year. Sleep is VITAL.
Good to know that sleep recipe you mentioned works great for you. Yes sleep is very much vital :)

Abigail Wenderson

That's true that pets can help you overcome your mental issues. I have a dog; whenever my mood is not good, or I feel depressed inside, I always spend time with them that makes me happier and energetic. One of my favorite things is that they cuddle well, which makes my sleep sound.