Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Diabetes

� #1
Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Observer
David2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Rating Breads for Diabetes

I recall reading an article some time ago that barley bread is highly rated for diabetics. I think the article indicated that bread made with barley flour instead of wheat flour takes three or four times longer to break down and raise blood sugar levels. I can't find that article, hence this post.

Among the grains used for bread, is barley, indeed, one of the best to use?
Does barley indeed break down more slowly than wheat? Are there some solid numbers available (i.e - medical studies that confirm a less-drastic and longer-lasting increase in blood sugar levels)?

If a local bakery happens to provide GI numbers for all their breads, what are good numbers to look for? I assume the lower the better, but those breads probably are like bricks and I don't expect my children to like them (so we will have to make some sort of trade-off. A decent taste and low GI number.)
� #2
Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

Here's an article that shows Barley bread to have a low glycemic index of only 30...white bread has a GI of 100.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/29...glycemic-diet/
� #3
Old 12-26-2013, 09:31 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

Here's another page with some more information, and a couple of links to see more about low glycemic breads...https://lowgicooking.com/bread-worse-pure-sugar/

Tags
barley bread, diabetes, low glycemic breads
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.