Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

� #1
Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about
Question Coconut Oil Helps Alzheimer's

After two weeks of taking coconut oil, Steve Newport's results in an early onset Alzheimer's test gradually improved says his wife, Dr. Mary Newport. Before treatment, Steve could barely remember how to draw a clock. Two weeks after adding coconut oil to his diet, his drawing improved. After 37 days, Steve's drawing gained even more clarity. The oil seemed to "lift the fog," his wife says.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/aging/article879333.ece
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/res � 024137.ece
https://www.coconutdiet.com/alzheimers.htm

So, guys, after reading the articles what do you think about the ketone theory on this?

� #2
Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to all

Arrow, I remembered this thread that Marilyn started regarding coconut oil and AD.

https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4650
� #3
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

thanks, guess I need some MCT cause I forgot all about it!
� #4
Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Smile

Don't fret about it, Arrow, it happens to the best of us!
� #5
Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Observer
SilviaMercedes is on a distinguished road

Wow, I wonder if coconut oil is anti-inflammatory.

Because Alzheimers is a type of inflammation of the brain.
� #6
Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Standing at the Portal

All indications demonstrate that it is anti-inflammatory

www.tropicaltraditions.com is a good place to buy it. They periodically have great sales.
� #7
Old 07-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Reader
Mari is on a distinguished road

My husband has AD (diagnosed in 2000) and I have had him on the MCT oils since December 2008. For him, it definitely has been helpful--cognitively he is better now than he was two years ago. From reading on forums, not everyone is helped—it’s try it, it might help. If you do try, start slowly to avoid gastrointestinal problems. I have been using Now Brand MCT Oil and Twinlab MCT Fuel (emulsified MCT) combined with a little coconut oil.

Check out Dr. Newport’s website, especially the first article and the April 2009 update. Also, her first two blog entries (May 2009) give more of an update on her husband’s progress.

https://www.coconutketones.com/
� #8
Old 07-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

The trouble with AD is that by the time it is diagnosed a lot of damage has already happened.
that is why ensuring your feed your brain while it is still healthy is so important.
Dr McCleary explains in his blog the importance of brain health and diet.
The most recent blog is here but it's worth reading all his posts from the start.
Why Feeding Your Brain is Important ... to Your Waist

If you are new to the idea of using ketones rather than glucose for improved brain function then thiThis site has a useful video and article but that is based on a more refined ketone product sold as a medical food item.

Dr McCleary talks about it here
� #9
Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaMercedes View Post
Wow, I wonder if coconut oil is anti-inflammatory.

Because Alzheimers is a type of inflammation of the brain.
It's another reason to ensure we keep a reserve store of natural anti inflammatory agents.
Vitamin D3 levels above 50ng/ml ideally 60-ng/ml to ensure we always have some available stored in tissues if required.
Omega 3 works as an anti inflammatory in the brain. But if you have 5times more omega 6 than omega 3 the omega 6 displaces the omega 3 from it's postition in cells. Therefore before omega 3 can function optimally we need to eliminate industrially made seed oils so effective amounts of omega 3 can then functions. 2g of omega 3 (thats the sum of the EPA and DHA numbers on your fish oil container) will change plasma levels fairly quickly but it may take a couple of years to change 50% of your cells and 5 yrs to finish the job, so to get from the current US average of 30omega 6 <>1 omega 3 is a long term project.
Magnesium is another brain anti inflammatory. Only 10% of US adults get the current RDA magnesium daily, and most people who understant it's role think the RDA is half what it should be.

Another good thing about Coconut oil is that being anti inflammatory it has an omega 3 sparing role. It's not adding to the omega 6 imbalance but actually, because it saves some of the omega 3 being used up acts to preserve/enhance omega 3 status.
� #10
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

WOW! Those pictures of the Cookies and Biscuits on the Tropical Traditions
Website do look soooooo delicious! I think it's time for me to try using my
TT Coconut Oil for more than just frying. The Tropical Traditions is the
only brand I use. I've tried 2 others but ended up throwing them away.
� #11
Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

I use coconut oil to make popcorn as well as cookies (half butter and half cocounut oil. It workes quite well.
� #12
Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 AM
Observer
lasker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Hutchinson View Post

Another good thing about Coconut oil is that being anti inflammatory it has an omega 3 sparing role. It's not adding to the omega 6 imbalance but actually, because it saves some of the omega 3 being used up acts to preserve/enhance omega 3 status.
I cannot find this information elsewhere. Are there any scientific papers to back it up?
� #13
Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 AM
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasker View Post
I cannot find this information elsewhere. Are there any scientific papers to back it up?
I'll see if I can locate it but actually it's simply common sense. If you use the same amount of calories from an inflammatory or pro inflammatory source and replace those calories with anti inflammatory or neutral inflammatory oil it should be obvious the body will not have to waste it's time or reserves resolving the inflammation.
Resolving adipose tissue inflammation gives a basic understanding of the omega 3 omega 6 issue.
This paper shows CO is anti inflammatory

Here's a paper suggesting that substituting virgin coconut oil in food preparation for omega-6 sources may help reduce inflammation tendency at the tissue level by displacing some of the excess dietary omega-6 fats.

Tags
alzheimer's, coconut oil, dementia, inflammation, omega 3
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.