Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

� #1
Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Explorer
Marilyn is on a distinguished road
Default Using coconut oil for Alzheimer's

A few days ago I got the latest newsletter from Dr. Whitaker. It tells of a 59 yr. old accountant who began having problems at work: disorganized, error prone, depressed. He was eventually diagnosed with Alzheimer's and it rapidly progressed. His wife is an MD and she learned of a clinical trial that was going on and that half of the participants who took the medication in the pilot study showed remarkable improvements and the other half held steady compared to a placebo group that continued to decline. She did some searching and discovered that the drug's active ingredient was medium chain triglycerides (MCT's) natural fatty acids that are abundant in coconut oil
Although he didn't qualify for the clinical trial his wife started him on coconut oil. After the very first dose, "a light switch came on." Over the next 2 months he became more alert and talkative, and his sense of humor slowly returned. His attentiion and ability to stay on task improved, and at a family reunion he remembered the names of relatives he couldn't recognize the year before. Today, a year and a half after beginning treatment, Steve volounteers in a hospital warehouse and enjoys his job and coworkers. His previously impaired gait has normalized and he is able to run, can read again with decent comprehension and his short-term memory is gradually getting better. He feels as if he "got his life back".

The reason for this is ketones. Medium chain triglycerides don't behave like the more common long chain fats. Thanks to their shorter chemical structure, they are easily absorbed and rapidly metabolized in the liver. And rather than being stored as fat, they are converted into ketones. Ketones are your body's alternative energy source.

Dr. Whitaker says that unrefined coconut oil has numerous benefits. It does not raise cholesterol or in any other way increase risk of heart disease. In fact it is cardioprotective and contains compounds that support the liver, improve immune function, and have antimicrobial properites. He is now recommending ketone therapy for all of his patients with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, dementia, multiple sclerosis, ALS and other neurodegenerative disorders. There is evidence to suggest that it may also be beneficial for individuals with Down syndrome, autism, and diabetes.
The most practical and economidal way of raising ketone levels is with the MCT/coconut oil combo. Mix the 2 oils in a jar and measure out the desired amount for each meal. (Take by the spoon, add to oatmeal, cook with it, etc.) Dr. Whitaker feels that ketone therapy also has a promising role in prevention. Poor glucose tolerance precedes symptoms of neurodegenerative disorders and contributes to their progreression. Why shouldn't healthy people--especially if they're older or have a family history of any of these diseases--take a few spoonfuls of these oils every day to help stave off future problems?
The recommended dose of MCT's for neurodegenerative disorders is 20 g per meal (7 teaspoons or a scant 2 1/2 tablespoons). Dr. Newport's (it was her husband mentioned in the above story) recipe is to combine 16 ounces of MCT oil plus 12 ounces of coconut oil, store at room temperature and use as needed. To avoid diarrhea, start with 1-2 teaspoons per meal and build up gradually--and be aware that some people will only be able to tolerate lower amounts. Because coconut oil contains no omega 3 essential fatty acids, a minimum of 2 g of fish oil should also be taken daily.
This is certainly not the whole article but I hope that I have given the most important points!! I ordered some MCT oil (NOW brand) and plan to start taking a few tbsps. a day as a preventative as there is Alzheimer's Disease in my family. I've used nothing but coconut oil and butter for the last several years and love it!
� #2
Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

I wonder what he means by combining MCT and coconut oil, since coconut oil is the source for MCT. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid. Coconut oil is about 50% lauric acid.

I can't think of any other oil that is MCT.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched � they must be felt with the heart." � Helen Keller
� #3
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Explorer

This should answer your question.

When Dr. Newport first began giving Steve this therapy, she didn't realize that refined MCT oil was available, so she gave him non-hydrogenated coconut oil instead. Coconut oil is about 60% MCT's by weight, so she figured that to get the dose of MCT's used in the drug trials (20 g) he'd have to take 35 g of coconut oil (7 tsp.).

She's since learned that ketone blood levels peak about 3 hours after taking coconut oil and are out of the system with 8 hours. She also discovered that MCT oil is available and it produces a peak blood level at 90 minutes thar clears within 3 hours. Now Steve takes 4 tsp. of MCT oil and 3 tsp. of coconut oil 3 X a day with meals to ensure that his brain has access to more or less constant source of energy. When he misses a dose, he may develop a transient tremor or feel temporarily "dazed and confused."

Normal is relative. Steve, who has the APOE4+ genotype that predisposes people to early Alzheimer's, has significant brain atrophy. It is highly unlikely that he will return to his previous acounting job. He's relearning to type, but he'll never be the computer whiz he once was. But to his wife and daughters, today's definition of normal is good enough.
� #4
Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

When I looked for a vendor, the MCT product says that the source is coconut oil. So, my guess is that the MCT oil, and extract of coconut oil, is 100% MCT. I suppose this means that the combining will just enhance the coconut oil with more MCT. Thanks for the extra info. I knew coconut oil (cold pressed) is very beneficial. It will even help to destroy the candida bacteria and fungus.
� #5
Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Explorer

Yes, more medium chain triglycerides in the coconut oil when you combine the two!
� #6
Old 10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Reader
Mari is on a distinguished road

The reason for using the MCT oil is that the studies done for Axona, the medicinal food product approved by the FDA and available by RX that became available in April, used the 8-chain caprylic acid in their studies. The MCT oils available are a combination of 8-chain (caprylic) and 10-chain (capric) acid.

My husband has AD and I have had him on the MCT oils since last December. For him, it definitely has been helpful. From reading on forums, not everyone is helped—it’s try it, it might help. If you do try, start slowly to avoid gastrointestinal problems. I have been using Now Brand MCT Oil and Twinlab MCT Fuel (emulsified MCT) combined with a little coconut oil.

Check out Dr. Newport’s website, especially the first article and the April 2009 update. Also, her first two blog entries give more of an update on her husband’s progress.

https://www.coconutketones.com/
� #7
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Explorer

I just finished watching the 6 part interview with Dr. Mary Newport on youtube. It's very, very interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpjRbhFmd4A
� #8
Old 10-21-2009, 05:25 AM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

OK, my question was on palm oil vs coconut oil, but this thread answered my questions. Coconut oil. I have an aunt who has alzheimers. It is time to make her some cookies with some coconut oil replacing butter.
� #9
Old 10-23-2009, 07:10 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Default Easy in Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved1986 View Post
I have an aunt who has alzheimers. It is time to make her some cookies with some coconut oil replacing butter.
I put a spoonful in my morning coffee sometimes, maybe she's willing to try it too
� #10
Old 10-23-2009, 07:46 PM
perpetual student

I don't think I would care for coconut oil in coffee. I normally put about 2 teaspoons of it in my morning oatmeal. I also put some stevia powder and cinnamon powder in it too.

I like coconut oil on toast. In the summer it is liquid; so I just dribble one or 2 teaspoons on each toast. In the winter it is easy. I just scape some off with my knife and spread it like butter. Same thing with toast. After the oil, I will add stevia and cinnamon powder.
� #11
Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Lecturer
pinballdoctor will become famous soon enoughpinballdoctor will become famous soon enough

Coconut oil is great in a smoothie.

Add a mixture of berries and non GMO protein powder to some filtered water along with flaxseed oil, vitamin C, and mix up in a blender. If you use frozen berries, the smoothie is more like a shake and it tastes great. No coconut taste either.

Thats a great way to hide the taste of aloe vera juice as well.
� #12
Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Study of the ketogenic agent AC-1202 in mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease
this full text paper is discussing the use of a Medium Chain Triglyceride form for Alzheimer patients.

Now Foods, MCT Oil, 100 % Pure, 32 fl. oz. (946 ml)

This is the type of price you should be paying for Virgin Organic Coconut oil easy to be ripped off.

WAB666 $5 discount code if you choose to use IHERB. You may find MCT oil and CO cheaper elsewhere I've not researched the prices recently so I don't know.

THE NEUROPROTECTIVE PROPERTIES OF CALORIE RESTRICTION, THE KETOGENIC DIET, AND KETONE BODIES this paper explains more about the way Ketone bodies (that are produced by astocytes in the brain) are protective for brain neurones. remember we have 10 astocytes for each brain neuron so even though they are not so metabolically active they are still very important.

One of the fundamental errors of modern medicine stems from the failure to understand the differences between mice and men. What Separates Humans From Mice? Bigger, Faster Astrocytes In Brain
� #13
Old 11-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Reader
RCannon is on a distinguished road

I'm curious about the combined effects on AD from VCO, tumeric, blueberries, Magnesium, NAC, Carnitine, cutting out the glutamate flavor enhancers and aspartic acid (neurotoxic), etc. Seems to me all these things are necessary. Haven't heard of any combined treatments. Seems like the basics must come first.
� #14
Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 AM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCannon View Post
I'm curious about the combined effects on AD from VCO, tumeric, blueberries, Magnesium, NAC, Carnitine, cutting out the glutamate flavor enhancers and aspartic acid (neurotoxic), etc. Seems to me all these things are necessary. Haven't heard of any combined treatments. Seems like the basics must come first.
Google Turmeric and Alzheimers. Lots of good stuff. The only issue in the states is Indian food has lots of turmeric, but most older people are not keen to eating outside their norm. I personally love indian and the hotter the better. I do have my dad on turmeric extract capsules (not AD related).

Blueberries and other dark fruits are important for AD as well as fish oil (preferably the DHA form)
� #15
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 AM
In seaerch of spicy food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Hutchinson View Post
Study of the ketogenic agent AC-1202 in mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease
this full text paper is discussing the use of a Medium Chain Triglyceride form for Alzheimer patients.

Now Foods, MCT Oil, 100 % Pure, 32 fl. oz. (946 ml)

This is the type of price you should be paying for Virgin Organic Coconut oil easy to be ripped off.

WAB666 $5 discount code if you choose to use IHERB. You may find MCT oil and CO cheaper elsewhere I've not researched the prices recently so I don't know.

THE NEUROPROTECTIVE PROPERTIES OF CALORIE RESTRICTION, THE KETOGENIC DIET, AND KETONE BODIES this paper explains more about the way Ketone bodies (that are produced by astocytes in the brain) are protective for brain neurones. remember we have 10 astocytes for each brain neuron so even though they are not so metabolically active they are still very important.

One of the fundamental errors of modern medicine stems from the failure to understand the differences between mice and men. What Separates Humans From Mice? Bigger, Faster Astrocytes In Brain
Ted, Thanks! I bought my first extra virgin coconut oil from a health food store in akron (22.50$) and then I ordered the same from iherb for 16.50$

Tags
alzheimer's, coconut oil, mct
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.