Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

� #1
Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice
Question Canola Oil - Anybody Here Still Using This Stuff?

Not me, mostly olive oil and coconut oil here...

� #2
Old 06-24-2014, 01:00 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

Didn't you mean for this to go into the Humor section? LOL

It is hard to believe that there would be any nutrient value left after such heavy refining.

I suspect a large part of the world use canola as a staple. I saw fields of rape over the countryside of France and parts of Scotland. I understand that it is widely grown and used in China as well. I suppose the other most used oils are soy and palm. Perhaps any of them would be good, if only there was no genetic modification and pesticides.

"Lord, make me pure�but not yet." - Saint Augustine
� #3
Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Guide
Ajax will become famous soon enoughAjax will become famous soon enough

The last time nutritionists thought canola oil was ok, they were also listening to 8 track tapes. Coconut oil all the way.
� #4
Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice

I agree Jfh, it should be in humor. Ajax, I had heard, not that long ago from Dr. Oz to use canola oil. Of course, I take everything I hear from Dr. Oz with a grain of sea salt.
� #5
Old 06-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Enlightener
D Bergy has a spectacular aura aboutD Bergy has a spectacular aura about

It could be used to lubricate a bicycle chain. It might be a good rust inhibitor.

Dan
� #6
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
Not me, mostly olive oil and coconut oil here...

Yup: olive oil, coconut oil, butter and for frying, there is one called the chosen blend" a mix of safflower, coconut and avocado oils.
� #7
Unread 06-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Reader
JanH is on a distinguished road

I've been using the spreadable butter with canola oil from Land O Lakes or recently found that Wal-Mart brand Great Value has the same thing much cheaper.
� #8
Unread 06-27-2014, 07:00 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

I usually use extra virgin olive oil or light olive oil, also coconut oil. I do use butter, try to get Challenge or some other natural brand with no hormones, etc. I also keep a spread on hand for some things, Smart Balance original. Very happy to see they now have a No-GMO promise on their label.
� #9
Unread 06-28-2014, 06:18 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH View Post
I've been using the spreadable butter with canola oil from Land O Lakes or recently found that Wal-Mart brand Great Value has the same thing much cheaper.
Land O Lakes has some spreadable butter with olive oil too. That's what I use occasionally. Normally I just get there Challenge butter. Butter is good for you in so many ways, due to the butyric acid, which is very good for the intestinal lining.
� #10
Unread 06-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Reader
JanH is on a distinguished road

I've tried the Challenge spreadable butter (canola oil version) and thought it tasted yucky, so I went back to Land O Lakes or Great Value (a couple of dollars less costly). If I can find the olive oil version, I'll give it a try; I don't remember seeing it in the stores. Did you all see the recent article in TIME (cover story, no less) giving butter the thumbs up after all these years of nearly everyone saying how horrible it is for us?
� #11
Unread 06-28-2014, 10:46 AM
perpetual student

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH View Post
Did you all see the recent article in TIME (cover story, no less) giving butter the thumbs up after all these years of nearly everyone saying how horrible it is for us?
No, I did not. I'm not surprised. I think people are getting more comfortable with saturated fat with all articles and benefits of coconut oil. I've posted about butter and butyric acid here before. A great many benefits.

When I was a kid, living on a small farm in the 1950s, it was my job to churn the clavered/curdled milk into buttermilk and butter. It was great to have fresh butter.

My grandmother never kept it in the icebox. She kept it on the table in a covered dish (to keep the flies off). She kept the eggs out of the icebox too.
� #12
Unread 06-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Reader
Donee is on a distinguished road
Default coconut oil

For me it is coconut oil for cooking and on my skin. I have read
that Red Palm Oil--a cousin of coconut oil--is even better in terms
of its complete vitamin E content.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.