Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

� #1
Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Observer
Katherina is on a distinguished road
Default Am I taking too many vitamin supplements???

HERE is the list:
+CALCIUM magnezium zinc containing D3 600IU, CALCIUM 1000MG, MAGNESIUM 400MG, ZINC 25MG.
+CALCIUM CITRATE AND MAGNESIUM CONTAINING: vitD3 800IU, VIT B6 10MG, CALCIUM 500MG, MAGNESIUM 80MG, ZINC 10MG, COPPER 1MG, MANGANESE 1MG, SODIUM 5MG, BORON 5MG
+CALCIUM 1200MG PLUS 1000IU VIT D3 PER SERVING
+VITAMIN C-500MG
+OCUVITE CONTAINING LUTEIN AND ZEAXANTHIN 6MG, VIT C 60MG, VIT E 30IU, ZINC 15MG, COPPER 2MG
+SUPER B COMPLEX WITH VIT C 150MG, THIAMIN 100MG, RIBOFLAVIN 20MG, NIACIN 25MG, VITAMIN B6 2MG, FOLIC ACID 400MCG, VIT B12 15MCG, PANTOTHENIC ACID 5.5MG
+FISH OIL 1200M
+BLACK SEED OIL 350MG

PLEASE don't make fun of me, I know its alot. I'm surprised I haven't overdosed until I heard that taking too many vitamins could. I'm not sure what to stop taking and what to continue based off this list. ADVICE would be great. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.
� #2
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Observer
RodsHealth is on a distinguished road

Only thing I would be concerned about is the amount of calcium. However, to be able to understand better, we need to know how old you are, your general health, and whether you have any particular reasons to be concerned about too much/too little supplements? Oh, and how good is your diet and exercise?
� #3
Old 10-03-2013, 03:36 AM
Observer
Katherina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsHealth View Post
Only thing I would be concerned about is the amount of calcium. However, to be able to understand better, we need to know how old you are, your general health, and whether you have any particular reasons to be concerned about too much/too little supplements? Oh, and how good is your diet and exercise?
That's what I was thinking as well....you'd be shocked to hear that I'm only 20 and taking that much CALCIUM. Which CALCIUM container that I've listed you think is best so I can only take one of them? My diet is pretty poor because I eat unpredictably, no breakfast, nothing is balanced and I never exercise even though I should start. I weigh probably about 110 and am 5'2". I'm concerned about all of these vitamins because my skin color is unhealthy, I'm breaking out and my hair is not as strong and thick as it should be and I think my eyebrows are going from thick to sparse and I'm not sure what's going on. I just look unhealthy and I sleep alot...could the CALCIUM have anything to do with this? I am generally in good health as in Im not sick or dying and I don't have anything wrong with me last time I checked. I used to have iron deficiency.
� #4
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
perpetual student
jfh has a spectacular aura aboutjfh has a spectacular aura about

Vitamin D3 helps the body utilize the calcium. It moves calcium into the necessary body parts. I would recommend 2000iu of vitamin d3. The one container that you mentioned +CALCIUM 1200MG PLUS 1000IU VIT D3 PER SERVING seems to be the best, but again I think more D3 would be better.

I like the 400mg of magnesium. You probably are not getting enough magnesium in your diet, even if it were a good diet. Agriculture practices don't give us the minerals that we do need. Try to make sure that the magnesium is not mag oxide. Instead, get some mag citrate or malate. I'd say the same thing about calcium. Calcium citrate is better absorbed.

A good multi-mineral supplement would be good. When taking minerals, it is best to take with food, so you don't get nauseated. Magnesium however, can be taken without food. It is an alkaline metal. The second container in you list is pretty good, but more variety of minerals it better.

Oh, and vitamin C is essential for the body to absorb iron. Since you lose blood each month, you need the iron. So it is good to keep taking the vitamin C.

Love is a serious mental disease. -Plato
� #5
Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

K2 is important for calcium regulation, and I do think you're getting carried away with the calcium.

Insofar as amount totals for everything else, I don't think it's too much.

Do a search for the B12 thread.

Oh, and welcome aboard!
� #6
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a jewel in the roughkind2creatures is a jewel in the roughkind2creatures is a jewel in the rough

I agree that k2, magnesium (I take citrate), and D3 are important to take. I am much older than you, but I've eliminated all calcium supplements from my routine...I feel I get enough from the foods I eat. Also, excessive calcium deposits in the arteries, etc. are the cause of strokes, can cause cramping too.

It's not a lot of supplements at all, I take more than that. Also, the fish oil is best if it's in triglyceride form. Nutrigold has a softgel, and NOW liquid lemon flavor is also in the preferred form. Vitamin E should be natural D-alpha (not DL).

Welcome to the forum!
� #7
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Observer
RodsHealth is on a distinguished road

D3 is important, as others have said, but best to get your blood levels checked, then increase your dose to correct any deficiency. What type of calcium you take can be important ... many ads appear for the carbonate salt, which is not absorbed well.
The wrong salt of magnesium in high doses will cause diarrhea. This stuff is important, but I would also focus on improving my diet. Lots of organic fruit and vegetables. Get the most expensive blender you can afford, chop up your ingredients of choice, and blend until smooth. Start by pulsing for several minutes, or you might burn the motor out.