What Could Be the Cause of my High Pulse Rate?

DavyKOTWF

Recently have been taking supplements and the Vegan Diet plus Salmon and my blood pressure and blood results have been terrific! But my pulse often stays high. Actually sometimes it's normal, around 70 and sometimes it's high, over 110. And of course my pulse and BP monitor shows I have arrhythmia - which can be irregular beats or fast pulse - I have both.
Maybe my question should have been, how to get rid of arrhythmia? (I don't have aFib)
Could it just be that I'm 15 lbs overweight and out of shape at 63? (the doctor said my arrhyth. is normal and nothing to worry about. But the high pulse concerns me. Pulse monitors don't give false readings do they? I just put in fresh batteries and it still did the same, a high reading. It's a wrist monitor)

Any suggestions?

(i'm taking arginine, taurine, glutathione, a good multi, a Good Vit C, good omega 3's, mag citrate, pot citrate, K1,K2,K4,K7)
(I drink half cup coffee per day, no thyroid problems and am a teetotaler)

jfh

perpetual student
DavyKOTWF, interesting problem. High pulse can be caused by imbalance of electrolytes, mineral-related substances necessary for conducting electrical impulses. But it seems that you are taking sufficient supplements, especially magnesium and potassium. I have high blood pressure, am 69, and am not overweight. Yet my pulse is normally 65 or less. Well, I would like to get rid of 5 pounds at my waist. I'm 150lb. My pulse gets high due to nearly constant anxiety. Magnesium helps.

My cardiologist says that I should exercise with a pulse of 125 for 20 minutes each day, and that should fix blood pressure and resting pulse. But in elementary school, recess was not my favorite subject. In high school, I only took one year of gym. So, exercise is a dirty word for me. In my youth, I backpacked a lot. A very lot.

Oh, my cardiologist said that if I take fish oil, I should never have to take Statins, unless there is some disease. Plaque can be a problem with blood pressure. I'm not sure if that can affect pulse.

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
Thanks for the input @JFH. My BP is pretty normal, around 120/75. My pulse is just all over the place for now. From 62 to 150.

Maybe I'll check on the magnesium. I have my chronometer set at 400 mg for Mg. Maybe that could be higher to get me over the problem?
And I am upping my exercise hoping that'll help.

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
Blood thyroid work showed okay.

I just checked my old book, Magnesium Miracle, and the author suggests higher intake of Mg. He says 6-8mg per kg of weight. So I'm about 93 kg, so that's up to about 740 mg. . . almost double what'd I've been taking. I'm going to try that for a week and see if it helps.

jfh

perpetual student

I just checked my old book, Magnesium Miracle, and the author suggests higher intake of Mg. He says 6-8mg per kg of weight. So I'm about 93 kg, so that's up to about 740 mg. . . almost double what'd I've been taking. I'm going to try that for a week and see if it helps.
Beware. My cardiologist, whom I see every 18 months, says if I take more than 400mg mag per day, I should keep a note in my wallet for paramedics and emergency rooms. He says that it thins the blood quite a bit and paramedics like to give you things that also thins the blood.

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
What I read, in that book, is that you'll get diarrhea (loose stools), if you're taking too much - a sign that you might should back off. It said this will happen long before any serious side effects. Course if you have some serious conditions, that could be a different matter.

JanH

An aha moment while I was reading this! My pulse rate has long been high and my heart occasionally stops, misses a couple of beats, then resumes. My Kaiser doctors have me on atenolol for both (not happily on my part, I assure you). When I ask them to find out WHY they says their usual, "Oh, it could be a lot of things, probably just some little electrical glitch." They also assure me my thyroid is fine, although it is enlarged on the left side, my lab tests are in normal range. Ultrasounds over the years have shown nodules, according to the techs running them, but endocrinologists say no. The outer half of my eye brows are totally gone, another sign of thyroid problems My blood pressure used to be high, even with drugs. I use a subliminal BP CD and it now averages 118/68. I do take magnesium and exercise on the treadmill, but not a lot at any one time because of fibromyalgia pain.

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
Hi Jan. My temporary Dr wanted to put me on that atenolol too, or metoprolol.
That book I read says, one must be patient taking extra Magnesium...that it may take a couple of months to do its thing. Again, he suggests taking 6-8mg per 1kg of weight. So I'm taking 740mg...about 300mg in the a.m. and 300mg at night and the rest comes from diet thru the day. He says that 350mg is as much as you want to take per time. (Taking more than that may cause the diarrhea)
So for a say, 135lb person, about 500mg is tops. Wonder how much you take? One could take 350mg at night as a supplement and perhaps get the rest from food. Worth a shot!
BTW, I got the same 'electrical glitch' answer...then the prescriptions.

JanH

I generally take several forms of magnesium. At the moment there is 100 mg in my multivitamin, 400 mg in Swanson's Triple Magnesium Complex (both of these are mostly Magnesium Oxide), and 650 mg of Source Naturals Magnesium Malate. I'm a big woman, so by your calculation I should be OK to take up to 819 mg/day. Magnesium seems to help my occasional restless leg syndrome, and if it's really acting up I take some more magnesium and walk around a bit, but I do tend to get diarrhea if I take much more. I spread it out through the day.

jfh

perpetual student
What I read, in that book, is that you'll get diarrhea (loose stools), if you're taking too much - a sign that you might should back off. It said this will happen long before any serious side effects. Course if you have some serious conditions, that could be a different matter.
This is why it is so important to take a mag supplement which is bound with an acid.

Most multivitamin manufacturers, even my favorite Alive!, uses mag oxide. All this does, is take magnesium into the intestines and let it just sit their. I draws water or other liquid, causing loose stools. They use mag oxide, because it is cheap.

Magnesium is an alkaline metal. The stomach acid plus its binding will help the body to make it bio-available.

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
Could I be taking too much Potassium? Getting about 4700mg a day.
or too much Magnesium? Getting about 500mg

Both of these I started supplementing recently, since they were both low. What I'm wondering, maybe my body had adjusted and now, the sudden spike in mag and potass, even though good levels, has caused the electrical confusion and thus higher pulse? Nah, probably dumb theory.

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
Just read another study on this. One guy said it might take a month or two. He had the same problem. At one point he'd get some dizziness for days. When that stopped, a couple days later, the high heart rate stopped. Said to just be patient. The lack of Mg didn't occur overnight and so the time for the body to get saturated with Mg again wouldn't happen overnight. Just for my record, I've been taking extra for about 10 days.

jfh

perpetual student
Too much potassium can lead to hyperkalemia, so look that up. It can cause abnormal heart rhythms. But everyone is different, so it is too difficult to say what is too much for you.

Since I must take an ACE inhibitor, I cannot take a potassium supplement. I must get my potassium from regular diet. If you take hawthorn berries or grapeseed extract, beware that they act as ACE inhibitors.

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
My pulse is coming down. I think mostly due to the magnesium I've been taking. Am taking ReMag now. (My BP had normalized since taking the Mg, upping the Potass.)

Mugdha

High Pulse Rate

A really high pulse rate makes the heart unable to pump. Think about a rate of 200–300. This occurs in Afib and Vfib. There is no time to fill the chambers before the beat.

Happyflowerlady

I have been reading that book also, as well as other information about magnesium and arrythmias, and I can certainly tell you that taking magnesium has definitely helped me.

I started with400 mg twice a day, and the arrythmias (which were up over 160 sometimes) started getting better almost right away; so I bought a bottle of 500 mg, and I now that that twice a day.
If my heart does go into tachycardia, I immediately take another 500 mg capsule, and within 5-10 minutes, it will convert back into normal rhythm.

Since extra magnesium flushes out, just like extra vitamin C does, you really do not have to worry about getting too much of it, and the books actually give examples of people taking even higher doses than I am taking, with complete safety.

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm upping my Mg, and a different kind, Mg Taurate, to 900mg per day to see if it helps. ( I HAD been taking Mg Glycinate) Someone on another forum said this Mg Taurate is almost as good as ReMag and more is used by the body. Already getting loose stools so I just back off a little. Taking it 3 or 4 times a day. I'm thinking it will help and will know probably in 2 weeks.
Just what kind of Mg do you take, @HappyFlowerLady?

Happyflowerlady

I am actually taking two different forms of magnesium, Davy. The 500 mg is Natures Life (from Amazon), and it has magnesium oxide, citrate, and malate. It also has 5 mg of B-6.
When I saw how much that was helping, I also ordered some Good State ionic magnesium, as well as some ionic trace minerals.
Another thing that I learned from the book , was that I was getting WAY too much calcium before. I had been taking a cal/mag/zinc supplement, and it was a 3:1 ratio (supposed to be 1:1 ideally), plus whatever calcium I was getting in my food.

The a-fib had been an ongoing thing for many years, eventually leading to heart and kidney failure. An ablation helped (2 actually) but I still had episodes of tachycardia, and they were occurring more often again. When I started taking the magnesium, they almost totally stopped, and now I just get little flutters occasionally, and an extra dose of magnesium seems to stop even those.
It does give me soft stools; but when you compare having heart arrythmia and tachycardia, it seems like a minor issue, and even that has gotten better as my body adjusts to having the magnesium.

jfh

perpetual student
I have been using various forms of magnesium for decades. I need it for constipation. I know, probably crummy diet, but I've tried various diets over these decades. So, I do like to include mag oxide in any combination.

I read the Magnesium Miracle, and I bought some ReMag from Dr. Carolyn Dean. It worked very well all alone, but was too expensive to sustain. It would be better if the bottle had a dropper too. Anyway, I try to find magnesium which is ionic. One of my favorites is a product which has been around for a long time. Calm. It is a powder substance which mixes with water easily and tastes great.

There are other forms on the market. I always look for any magnesium which is bound with an acid, as that seems like the easiest to digest.