What age to start resistance exercise?

jbo

When I was a kid I would always hear that lifting weights would stunt your growth, which I believe to be a myth as even the American Academy of Pediatric states "Strength training programs do not seem to adversely affect linear growth and do not seem to have any long-term detrimental effect on cardiovascular health"

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/107/6/1470.full#B2

So my question is when is too young of an age to start? I didn't start lifting weights until I was a teenager and my newphew who is only 11 wants to start lifting weights.

naturalnut

I'd say resistance training is ok for any age, but I'd hold off on weight training until they have developed more. If they are wanting to start building muscle, the best place to start would be doing things involving their own bodyweight like pushups, pullups, crunches etc. These won't affect their growth and are the best ways to build a solid foundation for weight lifting in the future.

BKnatural

Apparently exercises like loaded squats can make you shorter at any age! Even if your doing them right. If you think about it, you are putting your body into a compression and forcing yourself out of it. Now Im not sure to what degree this is true, but I could see how it can happen. Pilates are supposed to realign your posture and make you appear taller.

If your a kid still growing I don't think you should lift like an olympian.

d0ug

When every you think about exercise think first nutrition. So many people die from heart attacks while doing exercise and it is from simple selenium or vitamin B1 deficiencies

BKnatural

I get selenium from salmon and sardines. Apparently it protects you from the mercury in fish which is comforting to know.

Ajax

Exercise is good for you at any age. The idea that any kind of exercise would be "bad" for you is silly (unless you have a serious medical condition.) The line about squats making you short gave me a good laugh. I did squats in the first grade and I am 6'3.

BKnatural

It's funny to think that would happen, but it's not like it's something to be concerned about. it's like saying coffee stunts your growth, wherever that myth came from. It think for every "tense" exercise you you, your should do lengthening exercises like yoga and pilates.