Starting a new diet, thoughts?

Livia

Hey Natural Medicine Talk,

I just need to say how awesome this site is loads of information on all the things you really need when it comes to the natural side of life. As I was wondering through the forum I stumbled across the exercise and dieting section and being that I have just started a diet a week ago I thought I would post it and see what you guys think.

I am weighing in at a big 110kg. About 3 months ago I needed to make a change in my life as I was just getting bigger and bigger, not being able to climb a set of stairs without a break..... So I started going to the gym 4 times a week and that made a huge difference but there is only so far the gym will get you without a good diet. Here is my previous diet below:

No breakfast
Just drink coffee

Lunch
bacon cheeseburger with chips and a can of coke
OR Creamy pasta's etc...

Dinner
Chicken tikka masala with naan and rice and a can of coke

Night time:
6-8 beers with my friends at the local and maybe a takeaway to eat at home.

Now a week ago I changed my diet to this

Breakfast smoothie
2x Banana
1x cup of milk
4x ice cubes
And a good dash of cinnamon

Lunch
Pan fried chicken breast with broccoli, carrot and 2 spoons of rice.

Dinner
Pan fried chicken breast or beef etc with broccoli, carrot and 2 spoons of rice.

Night time:
Stay in and drink water

Yes, this is a little boring compared to my usual diet and yes I eat the same for lunch and dinner!! I stick to this Monday-Friday then on the Weekend I don't go crazy I just eat flavorsome foods.

I have seen all these supplements that can be used for weight loss but I don't want to be using anything that isn't natural. What are the best weight loss remedies that you guys have come up with that work for you?

Really looking forward to speaking with you all!

Thanks

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
When my nephew was in high school, he was overweight. He eliminated sodas including diet sodas, substituting water (no juices). Within 6 months he had lost a lot so much weight, he had to buy new and smaller clothes. He did not change much else in his diet. But youth has an advantage. He was also more active.

So, good for you for recognizing the need to eliminate sodas.

Seems like you are on the right track. Certainly exercising will help. While you are at a gym, talk to other people about their diet. There is strength in numbers. When people are watching you, you will stick to your diet longer.

Also, search the web for intermittent fasting. For example, give up breakfast so that you are not eating between 7pm and 11am. Check out my favorite online naturopathic doctor on this subject. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/06/28/intermittent-fasting-health-benefits.aspx

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Staff member
Glad you're making some good changes in your diet and taking care of yourself. I agree about the sodas, regular or diet are both bad news for your health and weight.

Cutting way back on carbs will get good results too, no bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. Creamy versions of things will pack on the pounds.

Also, oven grill instead of fry, that's how we make our fish, chicken, etc.

Water, drink a good amount of filtered water daily, it not only helps fill you up before meals, but it helps your system to flush out toxins.

The only supplement I ever used was Chitosan, it's like ground up shells of shellfish. It must not be overused or it can upset your digestive system, and if you're allergic to shellfish you can't use it at all. If you take a couple of capsules a half hour before a fatty meal, it's supposed to absorb the fat in your system and eliminate it in your waste. I found it was just better to pass up those really fatty dishes or eat a very strict small serving.

Pretty much making a difference in the food I buy makes a difference in my weight. If there's ice cream in the house, I will be eating it. Now I try to limit my portions, but better than that, I just buy sherbert instead.

An 8 oz. glass of water with organic lemon juice in the morning will help cleanse your organs and boost your metabolism. Also make your system more alkaline instead of acidic.

It sounds like you're doing some good things already, just don't go crazy on the weekends, that's counterproductive and will slow your progress of reaching a healthy weight goal. Also, stop eating in the evening after dinner, you'll sleep better and lose weight too.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Livia

Looks like sodas is the main thing I'm going to have to let go then :( I went from having about 10 cans of co0ke a day down to 2 but now I'm going to take that extra step and cut them all out.

Not too sure about the water and lemon juice... can I still drink my coffee?? And fasting is something that I do by mistake already, from being too busy or waking up too late for work haha

Thanks for the replies guys

Livia

The Black Cherry sounds real nice!! I'm going to give that ago!

Since the Diet change, I have noticed that I seem to be needing more sleep, finding it harder to wake in the morning and also around mid-day I just want to drop off. Does anyone know what this could be?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Staff member
Since the Diet change, I have noticed that I seem to be needing more sleep, finding it harder to wake in the morning and also around mid-day I just want to drop off. Does anyone know what this could be?
Maybe it's the result of your body/organs detoxifying from the your previous diet that was high in sugars, etc. Can you eat a few almonds or have a small cup of fat free greek yogurt during your midday slump, maybe with a little chia or flax seed added, touch of raw unfiltered honey?

Livia

Almonds, natural fat-free greek yogurt, and unfiltered honey is no problem at all, I see what you're doing there with natural healthy sugars. Let's say I mixed yogurt and the Honey togeather and had this as a snack to keep me going through that sleepy period? it's worth a try!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Staff member
It is worth a try, I was eating that daily for a long time, Chobani fat free plain Greek was and still is my favorite. I never use the cheap Clover honey, some say that some brands might not be quality honey at all, always raw and unfiltered.

Also use unsweetened lemon or lime juice for a touch of flavor. The good thing is all of those ingredients are beneficial for your body, and easy on your waistline. :)

larryz

Excellent start. Almost everyone needs to augment any food based diet with natural supplements. I use an organic hemp protein powder mixed with Miracle Reds fruit powder and water. A great energy and nutrition boost and will stave off the need to binge on bad stuff. Good luck!!

And look to loose teas to add nutrients and boost energy. Yerba mate (God's gift to health), dandelion, chaga, etc...

Aaron Coffee

Hey Natural Medicine Talk,

I just need to say how awesome this site is loads of information on all the things you really need when it comes to the natural side of life. As I was wondering through the forum I stumbled across the exercise and dieting section and being that I have just started a diet a week ago I thought I would post it and see what you guys think.

I am weighing in at a big 110kg. About 3 months ago I needed to make a change in my life as I was just getting bigger and bigger, not being able to climb a set of stairs without a break..... So I started going to the gym 4 times a week and that made a huge difference but there is only so far the gym will get you without a good diet. Here is my previous diet below:

No breakfast
Just drink coffee

Lunch
bacon cheeseburger with chips and a can of coke
OR Creamy pasta's etc...

Dinner
Chicken tikka masala with naan and rice and a can of coke

Night time:
6-8 beers with my friends at the local and maybe a takeaway to eat at home.

Now a week ago I changed my diet to this

Breakfast smoothie
2x Banana
1x cup of milk
4x ice cubes
And a good dash of cinnamon

Lunch
Pan fried chicken breast with broccoli, carrot and 2 spoons of rice.

Dinner
Pan fried chicken breast or beef etc with broccoli, carrot and 2 spoons of rice.

Night time:
Stay in and drink water

Yes, this is a little boring compared to my usual diet and yes I eat the same for lunch and dinner!! I stick to this Monday-Friday then on the Weekend I don't go crazy I just eat flavorsome foods.

I have seen all these supplements that can be used for weight loss but I don't want to be using anything that isn't natural. What are the best weight loss remedies that you guys have come up with that work for you?

Really looking forward to speaking with you all!

Thanks

wow" great info" im into wellbeing aswell" is their more about benefits of herbs?

Mugdha

Dieting correct really does help people lose weight. Experts even say that eating corretly is more important than exercising. We eat to get energy, you need this energy to be able to move and live. You take in energy in three different ways. Through carbohydrates, proteins, and through fats.

d0ug

If you are dieting to lose weight your probably going to make a mistake. The reason most people are over weight is their erg and craving for food. What caused that erg/craving is the question. Most time it is the body requesting nourishment so what you are eating is not giving the body what it needs. First check your digestion system are you having any problems that you know about - acid reflux - stomach pain - constipation or diarrhea if any of these things means you are not getting the nourishment out of what you are eating. Second frying food only adds trans fats to your diet some mineral deficiencies cause a disease called pica which is an erg to eat things. Once your body gets what it needs your apatite /ergs/cravings will go away and losing weight will be a natural change.

DavyKOTWF

You're off to a great start. Check out chronometer dot com . It will track the nutrients and calories you're getting. That daily meal plan seems to be around 1000 calories? A bit too low maybe? 1200 calories is the lowest a woman should do perhaps. You're not making up some calories by still drinking beer are you? :shock: If so, perhaps for now, at least cut it down to only 1 beer.
Coffee is okay.
Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So good to do both, but yep, the way you eat is the more important.
Might do a colon cleanse too. Check Amzn for 10 day gentle colon cleanse.
You might also check out the Vegan Diet then the Seagan Diet. The Seagan is the Vegan diet with salmon and other good fish being okay.
If you're cooking/frying anything, ditch all the oils for now, and use coconut oil instead, or at least olive oil.
Then might check out doing a 3 day juice fast. Google it. :) This will RESET your cravings. I used to drink a diet soda a day and 2 drinks a day...after a couple of 3 day juice fasts, I no longer drink either/any and don't miss them a bit.
Then google, if you've still read this far ;) , 'John Rose Juicing youtube' and also
'Angela Stokes youtube juicing' Lot of great vids to motivate.
Course you could read Jack Lalanne's Live Young Forever. VERY motivating! And that's 99% of all this for the first few months.
Six months to a year from now, nobody will recognize you and you'll be running around like a spring chicken! :D
Check back after 1 month and let us know how it's going. If any questions, feel free.
Davy