metal staples in tea bags

jbo

I've been drinking all kinds of teas, both loose leaf and tea bags. The tea bag I enjoy and drink the most is the Kirkland Signature Ito En that has Nylon bags with nothing metal.
Well trying a dozen loose leaf teas and half a dozen different tea bags, I just noticed that this really cheap one had metal staple in it. I've read that Nylon bags are better than all other tea bags, but haven't read much about staples. Just seems like heating these metals in my drink might not be healthy or am I just being paranoid and that the metals in my hot tea aren't an issue?

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
I've been drinking all kinds of teas, both loose leaf and tea bags. The tea bag I enjoy and drink the most is the Kirkland Signature Ito En that has Nylon bags with nothing metal.
Well trying a dozen loose leaf teas and half a dozen different tea bags, I just noticed that this really cheap one had metal staple in it. I've read that Nylon bags are better than all other tea bags, but haven't read much about staples. Just seems like heating these metals in my drink might not be healthy or am I just being paranoid and that the metals in my hot tea aren't an issue?
PhD Chemist here as well as metal coatings being by expertese. You are not being paranoid. If they are zinc played steel, you will definitely leach some zinc (small amount) into your tea. I would also bet there are other contaminants in those staples.

someguy

hmm.. never thought about this BUT what ive been doing lately is, I have a really good tea mixer/strainer, so I just take tea bags and rip them and dump the contents into a glass tea infuser, so I avoid this totally.