• Due to lack of activities, this forum is set to be closed at the end of this month (Aug 31), the forum has been set to read-only mode. Thanks for all your support over the years!

Menadione (k3) Harmful Ingredient for Pets!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Menadione (vitamin K3) is a synthetic form of vitamin K. Although it is added into many dog foods, treats or supplements, it is not needed for the dog's health, and can actually cause the dog harm.

Side effects such as liver damage, weakened immune systems, skin problems, etc. can be caused by this ingredient. It has a few different names you can look for on your pet food labels. Read more about it here...http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

Marilyn27

YES!

We have to be so careful with pet food as well as ours - the stuff they put in there can be shocking!

Right now I found Fromm's to be a good one for our little dog, grain free and nothing horrible in it! He eats the 'beef frittata' version ;)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
I feed Blue Buffalo to my cat, and I buy from Costco, the Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice and Veggie formula...neither of these foods have menadione. Canned for my dog is Canidae, he just gets a spoonful with his dry.

Marilyn27

Good stuff! The canned we use is Wellness, I don't like the canola oil in it, but Gomez seems to do well on it - he also gets a dollop on his kibble -

I just looked at the Canidae Lamb wet food, no canola oil! I might give it a try, I'm pretty sure I have seen it at our shop...

I try to limit the fowl foods, as I find he itches more when we feed him those, but I don't exclude it completely

Thanks for the Canidae hint!