Lack of zinc linked to diabetes

nightowl

Beloved enlightener...always with us in spirit
Lack of zinc linked to diabetes

07-26-10

A U.S. researcher says zinc may play a role in blood sugar regulation and in avoiding type 2 diabetes.
Ayyalusamy Ramamoorthy of the University of Michigan suggests in type 2 diabetes -- a protein called amylin forms dense clumps that shut down insulin-producing cells. However, in the presence of zinc, amylin does not form clumps.
"We found that one of the likely factors stopping amylin from attacking the insulin-producing islet cells of the pancreas is zinc, which normally is found in high amounts in these cells, but is deficient in people with type 2 diabetes," Ramamoorthy says in a statement. "By understanding what stops amylin from attacking islet cells in normal people, we hope we'll be able to understand how it is attacking them in people with diabetes."
The research, published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society, suggests zinc prevents amylin -- also known as Islet Amyloid Polypeptide -- from forming harmful clumps.
Ramamoorthy and colleagues looked at how amylin acts with and without zinc present using several methods, including nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.
"Ultimately, we want to understand how the whole scenario leads to type 2 diabetes," Ramamoorthy says.

I think we discussed a while back that oysters have a lot of zink.

Last edited:

jfh

perpetual student
Hi nightowl. Do you still have a link to the source article? I like to send things like this to my numerous type 1 and type 2 diabetic friends. None of them are into alternative methods; so I like to send references along with the information.

The article should indicate that you should supplement no more than 50mg of zinc per day.

knightofalbion

An excellent post, Nightowl. Thanks for posting.

Zinc, yes and chronium - which I see has been highlighted elsewhere in this section - and also magnesium, a mineral which is usually lacking in diabetics. (It is needed to process insulin.)