• Due to lack of activities, this forum is set to be closed at the end of this month (Aug 31), the forum has been set to read-only mode. Thanks for all your support over the years!

Help with skin condition

darryldayton

Hi there, new member here.
I have been having a problem with dry itchy skin on my back, backs of my arms, ears and ankles mostly. Last Sept. in had been on a pick line for IV antibiotic infusion of Vancomicen twice daily for four weeks out of an intended 6 week course. I had a staff infection on my ear that they had been treating with both oral and topical antibiotics that did not clear it up. After being on the IV infusion for four weeks I broke out in hives. The sent me to a dermatologist and she said I was having a reaction to the Vancomycin and immediately took me off of it. Within a few days the hives turned into Red Man Syndrome and I was in intensive for two days and another two days in a regular hospital room treated with steroids and more of them after release from the hospital. I peeled like you would from a really bad sunburn shedding large pieces of skin until my entire body had a fresh derm layer of skin. However, I continued to have itchy skin in the areas I listed in the first sentence here. My dermatologist could not identify the cause and sent me to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale where they did biopsy’s and other test but again could not identify the problem. I have been off and on treating it with Triamcinolone Acetonide cream and it will clear it up somewhat but as soon as I stop it, it comes right back. I am afraid to use it for too long as it thins your skin.

I am looking for any Help possible including herbal remedies.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might work?

Thanks
Darryl Dayton

jfh

perpetual student
Thank goodness, I've never had to deal with hives. I don't even know the origin of such. But my choices for other skin ailments would be both apple cider vinegar and unrefined coconut oil. Apple cider vinegar has the properties of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. It should help with the itching. Coconut oil's properties are antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral.

Rchael

Hi there, new member here.
I have been having a problem with dry itchy skin on my back, backs of my arms, ears and ankles mostly. Last Sept. in had been on a pick line for IV antibiotic infusion of Vancomicen twice daily for four weeks out of an intended 6 week course. I had a staff infection on my ear that they had been treating with both oral and topical antibiotics that did not clear it up. After being on the IV infusion for four weeks I broke out in hives. The sent me to a dermatologist and she said I was having a reaction to the Vancomycin and immediately took me off of it. Within a few days the hives turned into Red Man Syndrome and I was in intensive for two days and another two days in a regular hospital room treated with steroids and more of them after release from the hospital. I peeled like you would from a really bad sunburn shedding large pieces of skin until my entire body had a fresh derm layer of skin. However, I continued to have itchy skin in the areas I listed in the first sentence here. My dermatologist could not identify the cause and sent me to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale where they did biopsy’s and other test but again could not identify the problem. I have been off and on treating it with Triamcinolone Acetonide cream and it will clear it up somewhat but as soon as I stop it, it comes right back. I am afraid to use it for too long as it thins your skin.

I am looking for any Help possible including herbal remedies.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might work?

Thanks
Darryl Dayton
You may want to try a natural remedies too, but have a conversation with your doctor first. Your doctor can offer insights and recommendations about which remedies you should or should not try.