Going Gluten Free May NOT Be Good for Your Health?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
That's what Consumer Reports is saying...http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Nutrition-Vitamins/2014/20141121_Going-Gluten-Free-May-Not-Be-Good-for-Your-Health-Consumer-Reports.htm

Unless someone has a gluten sensitivity or celiac disease – an autoimmune condition in which gluten causes potentially life-threatening intestinal damage – Consumer Reports says there is little reason to eliminate gluten, and doing so may actually be a disservice to one’s health. Less than seven percent of Americans have these conditions.

A quarter of the people CR surveyed thought gluten-free foods have more vitamins and minerals than other foods. But CR’s review of 81 products free of gluten across 12 categories revealed they’re a mixed bag in terms of nutrition. Many gluten-free foods aren’t enriched or fortified with nutrients such as folic acid and iron as many products that contain wheat flours are.

And according to CR’s survey, more than a third of Americans think that going gluten-free will help them slim down, but there’s very little evidence that doing so is a good weight-loss strategy; in fact, the opposite is often true. Ditching gluten often means adding sugar, fat, and sodium, which are often used to pump up the flavor in these foods; these foods also might have more calories and consuming them could cause some people to gain weight.

Living Food

Gluten (specifically various prolamins such as gliadin) is never good news. Like many things detrimental to health (EMR, MSG, thimerosal, etc), it has dramatic effects on some people but hurts everybody, even those who don't have any obvious adverse reactions - "obvious" being the key word here. Some people will have horrible symptoms after consuming gluten, some people will have horrible symptoms from being in a strong electromagnetic field or when consuming MSG, but even those of us who seem unaffected are still being slowly killed by them.

But CR’s review of 81 products free of gluten across 12 categories revealed they’re a mixed bag in terms of nutrition. Many gluten-free foods aren’t enriched or fortified with nutrients such as folic acid and iron as many products that contain wheat flours are.
Ideally this entire point would be completely moot, because ideally people wouldn't be buying food from supermarkets. And they certainly shouldn't be buying processed foods, which most "gluten-free" products are. Newsflash, gluten-free cereals, bagels, and cookies don't magically become healthy foods just because they don't have gluten!!! People are so easily taken in by advertising.

As for the second part about these foods not being fortified with chemical poisons (artificial nutrients), how is this a bad thing??? Who actually wants to eat coal tar or turpentine? I certainly don't.

People may be interested in seeing just where the vitamins and minerals in fortified foods (and most vitamin and mineral supplements) come from:

Minerals
Vitamins

Living Food

Unfortunately it's also the "human food" argument, although few of the things most people eat really qualify as "food."

d0ug

Mayo clinic says that one in three have gluten intolerance and Naturopath doctors say it could be 70%.
I listen to a naturopath doctor who is very successful and he asks all his patience these questions, have you had skin problems, have you had asthma or bronchitis, constipation or diarrhea and appendices removed. he claims these are all signs of a gluten intolerance. He finds that a lot of people are mineral, vitamin, amino acid, fatty acids and cholesterol all due to the inability to absorb do to the gluten intolerance.
I personally went gluten free and the changes I seen were amazing some things that I accepted as old age or chronic diseases all went away.
When the FDA speaks out about it I do the opposite. They are against vitamins ,minerals, raw milk and anything to be healthy but all for petroleum based drugs.

larryz

When the FDA speaks out about it I do the opposite. They are against vitamins ,minerals, raw milk and anything to be healthy but all for petroleum based drugs.
Very wise words!!