Get Off Your Thyroid Meds!

d0ug

This is from the web site
For example the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), World Health Organization (WHO), International College of Nutrition, the United States Department of Health and Human Services, American Dietetic Association (ADA), American Heart Association (AHA), British National Health Service (NHS), and Dietitians of Canada all simultaneously recommend AGAINST the consumption of coconut oil. Unfortunately, and against the better interest of the public, none of the above organizations have a track record of recommending healthy solutions for the public, so Macdonald suggests that when these organizations recommend against something, “that is your clue to incorporate it into your diet, with proper research of course.” Coconut oil may be the perfect example.
Maybe I am not alone on thinking these people do not have our interest in mind.

jfh

perpetual student
One improtant thing not mentioned in that article, is how bromine undermines the thyroid's use of iodine. Most nations require bread companies to add bromine to bread instead of iodine. It helps the yeast rise or has other effects. Now how idiotic is that? It started when the medical community became phobic regarding iodine. Of course, the article is primarily informing us about coconut oil, so it had no need to mention bromine.

The problem is that bromine is a sister halogen to iodine, fluorine, and chlorine. The thyroid is deceived by bromine, which displaces iodine in the same seats within the iodine. So iodine never gets fully accepted by the thyroid.

I heard that parts of Australia was adding iodine back into the bread. I wish the USA would do that. I know of one bread maker, Nature's Own, that specifically says NO BROMATES on their label, but still does not add iodine.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Heard this guest on the radio last night, with some thoughts about Hypothyroidism, thought some here may be interested, of course he's also selling books...http://www.21centurymed.com/links-information/

Jfh, he mentioned about the bromine and iodine issue that you mentioned.

jfh

perpetual student
That's a lot of reading material.

It is amazing how such a small part of the body, a gland, can be such a big problem. The endocrine system is so important to keep in good order. So many people have adrenal fatigue, low testosterone, thyroid problems, etc. The symptoms are so numerous that it is difficult to diagnose.

d0ug

I read through the thread and did not see a reference to cruciferous vegetable.
Cruciferous vegetables all contain glucosinolates, which form a substance called goitrin -- a hormone that interferes with the synthesis of thyroid hormone -- when they are metabolized. In addition to promoting goiter formation, goitrogenic foods can act like antithyroid drugs, slowing down the thyroid, and ultimately causing hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid.

Goitrogens are able to disrupt normal thyroid function by inhibiting the body’s ability to use iodine, block the process by which iodine becomes the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), inhibit the actual secretion of thyroid hormone, and disrupt the peripheral conversion of T4 to T3.
Lots of times we think we are eating health but if you have a prolem you might need to stay away from these vegetables

jfh

perpetual student
Goitrogens can be rendered somewhat harmless by cooking or steaming for about 10 minutes. Best to avoid those vegetables in the raw. But this is only really necessary if your thyroid is weak.