Fitness Over 50

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Staying fit over the age of fifty is one way to preserve our health, happiness and independence in our golden years. Even if you're not overweight, it's important to remain limber and strong as we age. The more we take care of our bodies, the better our bodies will take care of us. Simple exercises such as walking or riding a bicycle will benefit your health. Take the stairs, use a spot across the parking lot and walk...little changes can make a world of a difference. Cutting back on breads, cheeses and sweets will help you reach our fitness goals. It's never too late to start taking care of yourself, you'll feel so much better before you know it!

Ted_Hutchinson

Cutting back on breads, cheeses and sweets will help you reach our fitness goals.
I agree that breads and sweets should be eliminated or much reduced in any healthy diet as both raise blood glucose levels high and fast and force glucose burning at the price of keeping the body's preferred fuel (fat) locked in adipose tissue. It's keeping blood glucose high that leads to obesity, diabetes, cancer, demetia. However I'm not sure of the logic of restricting cheese consumption.

While of course overeating any food item is likely to cause nutrient imbalance there is much (calcium, vitamin K,) that is extremely healthy and I would certainly not suggest that cheese, particularly aged cheese, should automatically be reduced.

Cookie

Lovin' life~
Staying fit over the age of fifty is one way to preserve our health, happiness and independence in our golden years. Even if you're not overweight, it's important to remain limber and strong as we age. The more we take care of our bodies, the better our bodies will take care of us. Simple exercises such as walking or riding a bicycle will benefit your health. Take the stairs, use a spot across the parking lot and walk...little changes can make a world of a difference. Cutting back on breads, cheeses and sweets will help you reach our fitness goals. It's never too late to start taking care of yourself, you'll feel so much better before you know it!

Great advice K2C! :D
Especially staying limber.. gentle movements to stretch the spine are very beneficial as well.

knightofalbion

Wise words, K2C.

Exercise is essential at any age for health and well-being. (incl. mental health) Fresh air and sunshine are the most wonderful tonics.
As you point out, exercise doesn't need to involve pumping iron, working out at the gym or jogging. I don't believe these things are all that beneficial, indeed they could even be dangerous to those who are past a certain age or overweight.
Brisk walking, esp. uphill if you can manage it, is as good a cardio and circulationary workout as anything.
I've heard many good things about Wii for getting people to exercise and enjoy doing so, and lose weight. (Though you don't get that life-affirming fresh air and sunshine...)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
...I would certainly not suggest that cheese, particularly aged cheese, should automatically be reduced.
Here are a few examples of the fat content in a 1 ounce serving of some popular cheeses eaten in the USA.

Cheddar Cheese = 9.3 grams of fat
Monterey Jack = 8.5 grams of fat
Edam = 7.9 grams of fat
Havarti = 7.9 grams of fat
Gouda = 7.8 grams of fat

Many people who are overweight will eat more than a 1 ounce serving of cheese per day, and usually more than that per meal, that's only one slice of cheddar for example. Also, I know from personal experience that cutting back on cheese will help with weight loss, and maintaining a healthy weight. I stand by my recommendation, as it makes good sense.

Ted_Hutchinson

Here are a few examples of the fat content in a 1 ounce serving of some popular cheeses eaten in the USA.

Cheddar Cheese = 9.3 grams of fat
Monterey Jack = 8.5 grams of fat
Edam = 7.9 grams of fat
Havarti = 7.9 grams of fat
Gouda = 7.8 grams of fat

Many people who are overweight will eat more than a 1 ounce serving of cheese per day, and usually more than that per meal, that's only one slice of cheddar for example. Also, I know from personal experience that cutting back on cheese will help with weight loss, and maintaining a healthy weight. I stand by my recommendation, as it makes good sense.
The preferred fuel for the brain is fat so if you want to keep your wits as you age you need to ensure your brain has it's PREFERRED fuel. It only deals with glucose first because sugar is so dangerous and has to be made safe ASP.

Dr Jay Wortman explains here Which is the preferred fuel: sugar or fat?

Low fat diets are the driving force that has created the obesity, diabetes, dementia and cancer epidemics. Promoting them for those over 50 is sure to harm most of them as these are the folk who most need to reduce carbohydrate intake and maximise nutritionally dense foods that have been traditionally consumed by humans.

ozzie

Good advice K2C, I like to walk as much as I can, and have 5 steps to go up and down everytime I go out into the back garden, at the moment I'm having hip and knee problems so its a bit hard to walk sometimes.
Went to the docs on friday to have blood tests to see if i'm getting enough calcium, b12 and iron and D vitamins, also blood sugar and cholesterol check, and had xrays on hip and knee, so it will be interesting to see what the results are.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Good advice K2C, I like to walk as much as I can, and have 5 steps to go up and down everytime I go out into the back garden, at the moment I'm having hip and knee problems so its a bit hard to walk sometimes.
Went to the docs on friday to have blood tests to see if i'm getting enough calcium, b12 and iron and D vitamins, also blood sugar and cholesterol check, and had xrays on hip and knee, so it will be interesting to see what the results are.
Sorry to hear you're having hip and knee pain, supplements like MSM (methylsulphonylmethane) and Glucosamine Sulfate may help, if you're not taking them already. It's nice that your doctor is checking for vitamin levels in your blood test, mine refuses to do those. Good luck with your test results, hope no serious problems are found.

mommysunshine

Please let us know how things turn out. Hopefully we can help you.

ozzie

Thank you kind2creatures, for your help, and mommysunshine, I will let you know how I get on,I am not taking those supplements at the moment K2C,but thanks for your suggestion, I am going for results Wednesday, it is two years since I have been to the Dr's so this Dr is a new one and I read that he is an holistic Dr so that is why I thought I would try him, the Dr I had before went back to India.