Degenerative Disc Disorder

Gen1GT

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums. I have a colleague who has degenerative disc disorder, osteo-rheumitoid arthritis, as well as pelvic and sciatica pain.

Is anyone aware of any foods or supplements that help with degenerative bone conditions such as these? I'm assuming glucosamine would be beneficial for DDD, but I'd love some feedback if you could help out. Thanks!

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
It appears that Vitamin D3 would not improve osteoarthritis http://www.everydayhealth.com/osteoarthritis/vitamin-d-not-the-answer-for-osteoarthritis-3794.aspx

However, calcium can make bones stronger; so vitamin d3 would be a good supplement. It is required for the body to move calcium into the bones.

Omega 3 has been shown to help. Especially omega 3 supplements or food that contain good amounts of both EPA and DHA. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00662/osteoarthritis-treatment.html

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Vitamin K2 is most crucial for adsorption of calcium.

Eliminating grains is a great way to eliminate inflammation and phytic acid, which hinders the adsorption of all minerals.

MSM is an excellent supplement for healing and reduction of inflammation, especially back pain.

d0ug

Tell his also to buy Knox gelatin or make bone soup. gelatin is dissolved cartilage and bone soup is a way for you to leach out the mineral and dissolve the cartilage in the bones use a little vinegar. For pain and for the need of sulfur DMSO it is like magic.
I gave some to my doctor to use in the hospital as an experiment yesterday because the pain from a disease called chikungunya here in the Dominican Republic and they have nothing but pain killers for and this relieves the pain in one minuet

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
Certainly has all the right ingredients for bone/cartilage aid. Especially the boron. I keep forgetting about boron. Occasionally, I will put 1/8 teaspoon of Borax (Twenty Mule Team Borax) in a glass of water for many more benefits. http://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/borax.html

Also, the boswellia is of great benefit.

So that product seems very good. I might compare it with others at the major online dealers, such as iHerb, Swanson's, Vitacost. Might be better price. And now you know the ingredients to shop around.

Gen1GT

Original Poster
Damn, you guys are supplement masters! LOL

jfh, that Osteo Joint Ease is about $30 CDN. I buy the kind without the MSM to help with my knee, but I was only buying it for the glucosamine, but I had no idea the other ingredients had myriad benefits! Thanks again,

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
Gen1GT, I forgot that you may not have the same benefits and access to USA online vendors. Shipping costs for one.

ozzie

Hi Gen1GT I too suffer from Osteo arthritis of the hip and back and Knee,The Dr gave me a script for Celebrex,but I can assure you I wont be taking that after the bad side effects I have read about it, so will be taking ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon of Cayennne pepper in lemon drink for the pain relief.
That flamease sounds interesting though.

d0ug

Hi Gen1GT I too suffer from Osteo arthritis of the hip and back and Knee,The Dr gave me a script for Celebrex,but I can assure you I wont be taking that after the bad side effects I have read about it, so will be taking ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon of Cayennne pepper in lemon drink for the pain relief.
That flamease sounds interesting though.
You might think of gelatin or bone soup as these can help regrow cartilage also for the pain DMSO topically works great it is MSM