deep. cracks/fissures on fingers

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
Not certain what to do. At times they bleed. As many as 3 or 4 at same time.
Now they are on right thumb, index and middle near fingernail.
One on left thumb.

While splitting open they sting badly and throb for a couple days.
A big part of my day entails putting new stock away...drapes, rugs, towels etc. I have a lot of band aids on.

I don't like this. Happens in cold temps. We have polar vortex thing.
Am I doomed to this forever or should I move to warmer climes?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I would suggest putting on a thick creme at night, with some gloves on if you can deal with it. I sometimes do my feet, and put small plastic bags on them and then socks overnight. It may take several nights of treatment, but the results are great, soft and not dry/rough anymore.

It's not particularly organic or healthy, but I get Genes Vitamin E Creme Swiss collagen complex moisturizing creme with vitamin A & D cheap, from Sam's club. It's really greasy, so it can't be used all the time, and has to soak in (or be covered) or it'll stain clothing. I don't belong to Sam's Club, but a couple of times a year they send a free pass in the mail or newspaper to non-members.

Another one I've used is a Shea Butter blend, that one's similar and good also. Internally, you can start taking a spoonful of extra virgin coconut oil daily, and perhaps a natural vitamin E (D-Alpha) not DL. Omega 3 fish oil will also help with the skin, I use all three supplements, and live in a very dry climate, with cold winters.

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
Original Poster
Check out the Cocoa butter that Trader Joes sells. Really good and inexpensive.
Going to look today. Thanks. I am taking sulphur and petroleum in homeopathic. All the usuals for skin. Borage oil and coconut on skin.

Shea butter. Cocoa butter. Gloves.
Whatever it takes. Thank you again. Why does it happen? Another fun aging thing?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I think our skin does lose moisture and elasticity as we age, causing problems like that...well, better to be old than the alternative. :p

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Going to look today. Thanks. I am taking sulphur and petroleum in homeopathic. All the usuals for skin. Borage oil and coconut on skin.

Shea butter. Cocoa butter. Gloves.
Whatever it takes. Thank you again. Why does it happen? Another fun aging thing?

It's called 'Coconut Body Butter'. I was not exact on my last post. Ajax turned me onto it a few months back. At $5 for 8oz, it has taken the place of my wife's spendy face cream. She likes it much better

larryz

Good ideas everyone, thanks! I suffer the same problem. i gotta get my outdoor run in daily no matter what the weather is. Cracked, swollen, freezing cold fingers are part of the deal..

Derrick

Since i started taking silica and flax seeds, i have had very few cracks develop. Heal time has also been improved. Both are pretty cheap, less than most lotions / creams.

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
Original Poster
Increase the amount of fatty acids your taking especially omega 3
I do. I take fermented cod liver oil with butter caps. Coconut oil and butter in my morning coffee, as well as use topically. Hemp oil in my salad. A little olive oil and lots of avocado.

I think its diminishing hormones. The cracks have lessened in severity and number with the warmer weather. Thank goodness.
I am going to order some blood tests and may be considering hormonal panel as well. But what, which?
Maybe post a question in the women's topic.
Thanks for all the help.

I find topical application of iodine followed by --gulp-- layer of 3M's New Skin, helps with pain and speeds healing.
I no longer drink alcohol to help my liver with this latest "toxin".
No oil, lotion or creme seems to help.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I used Red Clover Blossom herb during my menopause, I didn't need any hormone therapy at all. Red Clover is supposedly also available in ointment form, although I've never used any, you may want to look into that. Another thing you may consider is Ghee on the hands at night, with a glove cover. You can also take coconut oil internally. Good luck.

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
Original Poster
I used Red Clover Blossom herb during my menopause, I didn't need any hormone therapy at all. Red Clover is supposedly also available in ointment form, although I've never used any, you may want to look into that. Another thing you may consider is Ghee on the hands at night, with a glove cover. You can also take coconut oil internally. Good luck.
I will definitely try the herb. Maybe in tincture form?
Ghee and gloves. Worth a try....maybe on feet too. ;)

I use coconut oil in my coffee and for oil pulling. as well as moisturizer. Cook with it too. I have even used it as a spread for sandwiches.
I really like coconut oil.

Thanks again for the suggestion of clover blossom!!

Beach Man

Not certain what to do. At times they bleed. As many as 3 or 4 at same time.
Now they are on right thumb, index and middle near fingernail.
One on left thumb.

While splitting open they sting badly and throb for a couple days.
A big part of my day entails putting new stock away...drapes, rugs, towels etc. I have a lot of band aids on.

I don't like this. Happens in cold temps. We have polar vortex thing.
Am I doomed to this forever or should I move to warmer climes?
I used to have this problem several years ago in the wintertime here in the Northeast U.S. when I was loading and unloading trailer trucks. At that time the product, Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion (in a pump bottle), had just come on the market and was available at local drugstores/pharmacies. I decided to try it and rubbed it into my hands before going to bed. To my surprise it completely healed the cracks after just three overnight applications, and I was able to discontinue its use for two or three weeks until the problem would again begin to develop. Using it only every two or three weeks in the wintertime, the bottle lasted over two years.

When I finally ran out of the lotion about three years later I found that for some reason the product had stopped working - it no longer healed the cracks, but just seemed to soften the skin. Fortunately, I had not yet discarded the original bottle, so I compared the ingredients on the label of the original bottle to those on the label of the new bottle. I found that the active ingredient in the original formula had been removed and replaced with several other ingredients with chemical like names which acted as emollients but just masked the problem as the new formula failed to heal the cracks!

I then realized I was witness to "for profit" Capitalism at its worst! The original formula had worked too well! Because it actually healed the cracks with just two or three applications, thus eliminating the need to continue using the product, the bottle was lasting too long - in my case more than two years. Thus the company was not able to sell nearly as much of the product as they wanted. By changing the formula to one that simply relieved the symptoms but necessitated daily use to obtain some degree of relief by just softening the skin but not healing the cracks, the company was able to sell much more of the product and thereby increase profits!!

Now for the answer to the problem of deep and often painful cracks on the fingertips. What was that active ingredient that had been removed from the original formula of Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion that had actually healed the cracks after just three nightly application!? Zinc!

After a brief search of similar products I found two that contained significant amounts of zinc oxide and have used them both with success. Neither one works as quickly as the original Vaseline Intensive Care as they both take about 5 to 7 days to fully heal the cracks, but they do heal them. However each is messier to work with as they are creams rather than lotion, and the skin does not tend to absorb them, thus requiring something to cover the hands after application to prevent getting the cream on your hands from getting on anything you might touch including your bedsheets, etc.

For that purpose, immediately after rubbing in the cream I put on "vinyl exam gloves" which are latex free and powder free and which can be purchased at just about any drugstore/pharmacy. I happen to use the Target store brand, "up&up". I caution you to not use latex gloves as repeated use of latex gloves has been known to cause a severe allergic reaction. Every year a local couple place an "In Memoriam" tribute to their late daughter with an accompanying statement and cautionary note in the local newspaper's Obituary section about her unfortunate death due to a fatal allergic reaction to the latex in the latex exam gloves she had used regularly as a Registered Nurse in a local hospital. It's particularly significant to me as I had known the young lady prior to her becoming a nurse when she worked as a bank teller at my local Savings Bank.

The two creams I found to contain the zinc oxide are Balmex Diaper Rash Cream ZINC OXIDE 11.3% and the CVS store brand, ZINC OXIDE SKIN PROTECTANT OINTMENT with "Active ingredient: Zinc oxide, 20%".

Of the two, I have found that the Balmex is a little more difficult to work with as it is obviously manufactured (as a Diaper Rash Cream) to stay on the skin and is much more difficult to wash off from the hands after getting out of bed to start the day. However, each of the creams actually heal the finger cracks!

Last edited:

D Bergy

I have a similar problem in the winter. It is made worse because I handle a lot of paper. The paper sucks what little oil I have on my hands. I suspect you have the same problem handling all of that cloth. It takes all the oil from your hands.

I have used a lot of hand creams, but most of them will make my hands break out. The one that works the best for me is wool wax cream. I order it on line. Somebody gave me some a long time ago and I never found a better product so I ordered some more.

Dan

bulrush

My MIL (mother in law) has the same thing. Her doctor guesses (just a guess!) it's a metal allergy. So she cannot touch metal. She also avoids paper as it has drying agents on it to dry the ink quickly, and some people are sensitive to this. (I work for a printer so handling newly printed material is tough on my hands.)

She has seen improvement by eating all organic food, avoiding all metals, and wearing nitrile gloves (at Harbor Freight) when gardening and working in the dirt. She also sees improvement by putting coconut oil on her hands twice a day, and wearing nitrile gloves for an hour to let the oil soak in. Coconut oil really did work well for her.

Keep the hands moisturized but not with lotions that contain all kinds of chemicals!