Anti-nutrients

Ajax

I recently saw a film called The Perfect Diet where a seemingly healthy 24-year old had a heart attack and went on a search for the healthiest diet interviewing nutrition and medical experts and one conclusion is that grains including whole grains should be avoided as they are anti-nutrients and block absorption of essential minerals. It also mentioned that consumption of whole grains was singled out by the World Health Organization as the second-leading cause of iron deficiency. This raised my eyebrows and I wanted to share it. I personally used to have a diet high in whole grains and experienced fatigue, memory issues, and even shaking hands that dissappeared once I eliminated grains from my diet. I thought this was quite interesting and I wanted to share info about anti-nutrients. https://draxe.com/antinutrients/

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
Ajax, I too have a diet high in wheat as I love Italian food. What I worry about most is the agricultural chemicals used. I try to convince myself that wheat was among the most used crop in the earliest civilization. Of course, wheat has evolved over time too. And why would the population be growing toward 8 billion?

Phytates in your everyday meals should not be an issue for you as long as you’re eating a balanced diet. Most of us consume enough minerals in common foods to more than make up for the small amounts of these micronutrients that might be tied up by phytates. The only individuals who might need to be careful are vegetarians who consume a lot of wheat bran, which is a concentrated source of these substances. Phytate-associated deficiencies of iron and zinc do occur in some third-world countries where people mostly eat grains.

Bear in mind that cooking reduces a food’s phytic acid content to some degree.

Some of us, on this forum, consume grape seed extract daily. A high source of polyphenols. "Polyphenols, for example, are a type of antinutrient that can actually be beneficial (when eaten in appropriate doses), so it’s not always cut-and-dry as to the types we should avoid."

We should try to be more aware of consequences of our diets. I have a gene, according to 23andme, that makes my body behave badly with iron. So, when I take vitamin C or consume foods which are high in vitamin C, I get constipated. Vitamin C supports iron to make it more bioavailable to the body.

So, just be aware and be balanced.