Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

� #1
Old 04-28-2011, 07:25 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough
Default Black Cumin Seeds

Has anyone investigated the truly ancient black cumin seed? Nigella sativa. I've become aware of it and am going to try it, but it is one of those things that "cures" so many things that I would not know if it is helping or not. Of course, if it does not help my major problems, it then becomes a dust collector.

Generally:
Quote:
For a little while there�s been some buzz around the complementary therapy world about a product, that admittedly is an old timer, but stardom has been slow to come its way. The rising celebrity is Black Seed Oil. It first made its debut around the time of Tutankhamen, had a mention in the Bible, and the Prophet Mohammed declared that �Black cumin heals every disease except for death�. Certainly praise indeed. Is it the very complex chemical structure of the seeds of Black cumin, Nigella sativa, having some one hundred different constituents that is the key to its success, just like St John�s wort and Ginkgo that also have incredibly complicated structures? Now, may I just say, at this point, I could delve into the intricacies of the constituents of the oil and bore every one, except you budding bio chemists out there. So you guys can �Google it�. For the rest of us let�s skip that and get to the bottom line � what does it do, and is it safe? The oil doesn�t lack clinical trials, in fact in the past forty years some two hundred studies have been conducted. The result? A panacea; which is perhaps why stardom has been slow in coming. Society is sceptical of �natural remedies for all ailments�, sadly myself included. However, what is of particular interest are the claims that it is an �immunomodulator� � regulating immune function. The results are encouraging in relation to asthma, bronchial asthma, and bronchitis, and in allergies such as atopic eczema, as well as for digestive upsets, circulatory system disorders and yes- even in the urinary system. The lymphatic system doesn�t escape either, because the oil has a purifying effect as it passes through.

The most abundant substance within Black seed oil, is Thymoquinone or TQ for short, and research has shown it to inhibit new or abnormal growths and uncontrolled cell division found in certain cancers, such as colon cancer. Even the investigation into the protective role of Black seed oil in breast cancer appears to be encouraging. The evidence suggested that most illnesses have a direct link to an imbalanced immune system that when compromised cannot function adequately in defending the body. Also if there is an increased production of immune cells, bone-marrow cells, and B-cells the prime function of the immune system is restored. Black seed oil stimulates and modulates components within the immune system, so if we consider auto-immune diseases such as psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis, can we hope that order may be restored by this potentially remarkable oil? It appears so.

https://blackseedoils.com/
Remedies (see what I mean about large list of cures):
Quote:
Black seed can be used for:

Weak Immune System (chronic reoccurring illness, AIDS).

Cancer

Diabetes

Over reactive Immune System
(allergies, rheumatism, M.S., leukaemia, hayfever and asthma)

Hormone System (P.M.S.)

Allergic Skin Diseases
(inflammations, edemas, nettle rash, acne & eczema)

Neurodermitis

Digestive Problems

Cough, Colds & Flu

Intestinal Parasites
(worms; amoeba)

Liver and Gall bladder complaints

Kidney and Bladder problems

Bladder inflammation

Rheumatic and Arthritic pain

Bruises and injuries

Weak concentration, mental exhaustion, lethargy, confusion

High Blood Pressure

Colic in babies

Sinusitis

Modern research
has confirmed the traditional uses of black seed for the following:

• Analgesic: Relieves or dampens sensation of pain.
  • Anthelmintic: (Also know as vermicide or vermifuge.) Destroys and expels intestinal worms.
  • Anti-bacterial: Destroys or inhibits the growth of destructive bacteria.
  • Anti-Inflammatory: Reduces inflammation.
  • Anti-Microbial: Destroys or inhibits the growth of destructive microorganisms.
  • Antioxidant: Prevents or delays the damaging oxidisation of the body�s cells - particularly useful against free radicals.
  • Anti-Pyretic: (Also known as ferbrifuge.) Exhibits a �cooling action�, useful in fever reduction.
  • Anti-spasmodic: Prevents or eases muscle spasms and cramps.
  • Anti-tumour: Counteracts or prevents the formation of malignant tumours.
  • Carminative: Stimulates digestion and induces the expulsion of gas from the stomach and the intestines.
  • Diaphoretic: Induces perspiration during fever to cool and stimulate the release of toxins.
  • Diuretic: Stimulates urination to relieve bloating and rid the body of any excess water.
  • Digestive: Stimulates bile and aids in the digestive process.
  • Emmenagogue: Stimulates menstrual flow and activity.
  • Galactogogue: Stimulates the action of milk in new mothers.
  • Hypotensive: Reduces excess blood pressure.
  • Immunomodulator: Suppresses or strengthens immune system activity as needed for optimum balance.
  • Laxative: Causes looseness or relaxation of the bowels.
This is an extensive list and explains the popularity of this product in the Orient. Not only used by the populace but also by the Ayurvedic system of medicine and the Unani Tibb. Research has also confirmed why this herb has been held with so much respect.
https://www.theblessedseed.com/?natural-remedies,27
Quote:
Nigella sativa is one the most revered medicinal seeds in history. The best seeds come from Egypt where they grow under almost perfect conditions in oases where they are watered until the seed pods form. Black cumin seeds were found in the tomb of Tutankhamun. Though black cumin seeds are mentioned in the Bible as well as in the words of the Prophet Mohammed, they were not carefully researched until about forty years ago. Since this time, more than 200 studies have been conducted in universities.

The famous Greek physician Dioscorides used black cumin seeds to treat headaches and toothaches. Mohammed said that black cumin cures every disease but death itself. The reason might be found in the complex chemical structure of the seeds. These little seeds have over one hundred different chemical constituents, including abundant sources of all the essential fatty acids. Though it is the oil that is most often used medicinally, the seeds are a bit spicy and are often used whole in cooking�curries, pastries, and Mediterranean cheeses.
https://www.kitchendoctor.com/herbs/black_cumin.php

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
� #2
Old 05-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Observer
lexus2011 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it in my home made bread!
� #3
Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2011 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it in my home made bread!
But I wonder if cooking it will have the same benefits. I mean, are they as fragile as flax?
� #4
Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Question

It kinda sounds too good to be true to me??????????
� #5
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM
perpetual student

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBird View Post
It kinda sounds too good to be true to me??????????
Yes it does, and I wonder how much to eat to really benefit.
� #6
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

On the list for the Health Food co-op today!

I'll report back!
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
� #7
Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Reader
majbsb is on a distinguished road

I'm already taking this, using cold pressed oil from Israel, delicious!
� #8
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

Hippee grocer is getting bigger, so they can afford a marketing department to maximize floor retail space. Had to order from Amazon. They did have raw cacao and organic chia seed, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
. Of course, if it does not help my major problems, it then becomes a dust collector.

The way I see it, the worst case scenario is $20 a pound delivered for an organic cooking seasoning, ain't too bad.
� #9
Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

You can find it under the name black seed oil at middle east and indian stores
� #10
Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Lecturer
mommysunshine will become famous soon enoughmommysunshine will become famous soon enough

I haven't read anything on it nor seen it recommended much. Is it a new "food" or an oldie but goodie that is becoming popular here in the West?
� #11
Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Frater Aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved1986 View Post
You can find it under the name black seed oil at middle east and indian stores

Good tip, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysunshine View Post
I haven't read anything on it nor seen it recommended much. Is it a new "food" or an oldie but goodie that is becoming popular here in the West?

Read the link.
� #12
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 AM
perpetual student

Several possibilities here.

https://www.iherb.com/search?kw=black%20cumin#none
� #13
Old 04-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Frater Aegagrus

Decided to give this a whirl

Black cumin seed
� #14
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Frater Aegagrus

Ok, seeds arrived a few days ago.

They taste like a combination of eucalyptus and poppy seed, and have a texture similar to celery seed. They leave an lingering aromatic similar in strength to anise seed.

I've been crunching a quarter teaspoon in my teeth once a day. Not sure what food I would season with these based on the flavor.
� #15
Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Explorer
jesichashope is on a distinguished road

I use the oil - organic, cold pressed. It is known originally as Habet El Baraka oil - means the blessed seed.
I use the one from El Captain and usually have a friend bring it back from Africa when she visits but if we run out I get it from: www.efooddepot.com - under products, El Captain Habet El Baraka oil --- you can cook with it as well or we have a bottle in the kitchen and one in the bathroom cabinet; sore throats, wounds, etc. Healed a nasty spider bite in a few days rather than have the doctor use his scalpel like the last one. This one left no scar.
The mid east and Africa have used this for centuries, my friend says there is an old saying it heals everything except death itself. Odd saying but I guess they find it very useful. Have to remember in many villages it is the remedies that keep them well, as doctors are not commonly available.

Tags
black cumin seed, nigella sativa
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.