Why Purified Water and Distilled Water are Bad For You
During nearly 19 years of clinical practice I have had the opportunity to observe the health effects of drinking different types of water. Most of you would agree that drinking unfiltered tap water could be hazardous to your health because of things like parasites, chlorine, fluoride and dioxins. Many health fanatics, however, are often surprised to hear me say that drinking distilled water or purified water on a regular, daily basis is potentially dangerous. Paavo Airola wrote about the dangers of purified water in the 1970's when it first became a fad with the health food crowd.
Distillation is the process in which water is boiled, evaporated and the vapor condensed. Reverse osmosis or purified water is free of dissolved minerals and, because of this, has the special property of being able to actively absorb toxic substances from the body and eliminate them. Studies validate the benefits of drinking purified water when one is seeking to cleanse or detoxify the system for short periods of time (a few weeks at a time). Fasting using purified water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value. Purified water is an active absorber and when it comes into contact with air, it absorbs carbon dioxide, making it acidic. The more purified water a person drinks, the higher the body acidity becomes. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Purified" water, being essentially mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to dissolve substances with which it is in contact. Notably, carbon dioxide from the air is rapidly absorbed, making the water acidic and even more aggressive. Many metals are dissolved by distilled water.
The most toxic commercial beverages that people consume (i.e. cola beverages and other soft drinks) are made from purified water. Studies have consistently shown that heavy consumers of soft drinks (with or without sugar) spill huge amounts of calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals into the urine. The more mineral loss, the greater the risk for osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and a long list of degenerative diseases generally associated with premature aging.
A growing number of health care practitioners and scientists from around the world have been advocating the theory that aging and disease is the direct result of the accumulation of acid waste products in the body. There is a great deal of scientific documentation that supports such a theory. A poor diet may be partially to blame for the waste accumulation. Meats, sugar, white flour products, fried foods, soft drinks, processed foods, alcohol, dairy products and other junk foods cause the body to become more acidic. Stress, whether mental or physical can lead to acid deposits in the body.
There is a correlation between the consumption of soft water (purified water is extremely soft) and the incidence of cardiovascular disease. Cells, tissues and organs do not like to be dipped in acid and will do anything to buffer this acidity including the removal of minerals from the skeleton and the manufacture of bicarbonate in the blood. The longer one drinks distilled water, the more likely the development of mineral deficiencies and an acid state. I have done well over 3000 mineral evaluations using a combination of blood, urine and hair tests in my practice. Almost without exception, people who consume purified water exclusively, eventually develop multiple mineral deficiencies. Those who supplement their purified or distilled water intake with trace minerals are not as deficient but still not as adequately nourished in minerals as their non-purified water drinking counterparts even after several years of mineral supplementation.
Purified water tends to be acidic and can only be recommended as a way of drawing poisons out of the body. Once this is accomplished, the continued drinking of purified water is a bad idea.
Alkaline ionized Water is the best possible drinking water. Disease and early death is more likely to be seen with the long term drinking of purified or distilled water. Avoid it except in special circumstances.
Dr Theodore Baroody, in his book "Alkalize or Die", offers a list of symptoms that may be precipitated by Acidosis:
3. Muscular pain
4. Cold hands and feet
6. Low energy
7. Joint pains that travel
8. Food allergies
9. Chemical sensitivities or odors, gas, heat
11. Panic attacks
12. Pre-menstrual and menstrual cramping
13. Pre-menstrual anxiety and depression
14. Lack of sex drive
19. Hot urine.
20. Strong smelling urine
21. Mild headaches
22. Rapid panting breath
23. Rapid heartbeat
24. Irregular heartbeat
25. White coated tongue
26. Hard to get up
27. Excess Head mucus
28. Metallic taste in mouth
1st, this assumes that you "believe" the alkalize theories. "Alkalize or Die", pretty much says it all. the doctor that wrote that book wrote this article.
Given the choice of drinking �city water� or purified water I think I will take my chances with purified water. With it at least I choose what additives shall be placed in it.
Those who supplement their purified or distilled water intake with trace minerals are not as deficient but still not as adequately nourished in minerals as their non-purified water drinking counterparts even after several years of mineral supplementation.
I find it extremely hard to believe this statement as valid.
12 years ago at the age of 77, my mom was told by a chelation doctor to drink nothing but distilled water, due to various heavy metals in her hair analysis. She bought a Sear's distiller, and has drunk nothing but distilled water ever since. She's 89 now, lives alone, pretty much self sufficient, and none of the bad stuff has kicked in yet.
As for myself, I drink spring water, straight from the thermal artesian well.
For now we see through a glass, darkly.... 1st Corinthians 13:12
Some people don't even drink water, they do a completely raw diet and get nature's water from nature's packages, i.e., the fruits and vegetables. They seem to do just fine for years being naturally hydrated.
I personally don't get those symptoms from your long list, because I follow a mostly vegan diet and it seems to keep me healthy.
I think RO water is very delicious and better than tap water. If you eat cooked foods at all you have to have some water so that your body can eliminate the cancer causing substances.
If I wanted to improve my RO water, I can set it in the sun for 8 hours in a glass container and get the sun energy to make the water healing. I can also say a prayer on the water. There are plenty of options without having to buy some expensive water.
If I lose some minerals from RO water, I can regain them by consuming mineral-rich foods and drinks.