Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

� #1
Old 01-20-2015, 03:27 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Yogurt's Health Damaging Ingredients

I've been strictly using plain greek yogurt daily now for a long time. The only ingredient is cultured grade A non-fat milk. Many other yogurts on the store shelves have very unhealthy ingredients. I add raw honey, organic lemon or lime juice, and organic flaxseeds or hemp hearts to my greek yogurt.

https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/yog...ng-ingredients
� #2
Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Nothing but.............

Quote:
Ingredients

pasteurized organic whole milk, live active cultures.

Trader Joe's
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
� #3
Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

Zero fat is better in my case, I get enough fat from other things I eat.
� #4
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Dr Mercola, and MANY others................

Quote:
Just about every piece of dietary advice you can find recommends low-fat or non-fat dairy. But a growing number of experts are arguing that it's healthier to eat and drink dairy products with all the fat left in.
The fat in dairy foods is roughly 50 to 60 percent saturated fat, but the idea that this is bad for your heart may be nothing more than a mistaken interpretation of the science. In a 2010 analysis, scientists said:
"...There is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of [coronary heart disease or cardiovascular disease]."
What's more, according to dLife:
"If only half of dairy fat is the saturated kind, what kind is the rest? Dairy fat contains lots of oleic acid (the stuff that makes olive oil so healthy), along with a type of fat called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) that may help with weight loss. Recent studies strongly suggest that something -- possibly the CLA -- in dairy fat does indeed help with weight management."
Read More

Quote:
For years my family only drank low-fat milk. It�s supposed to help us keep our weight down and reduce the risk of heart disease, right? Wrong. In fact, reduced-fat milk can harm our health. We now steer clear of the stuff whenever possible.
https://www.bodyearth.net/milk/worth-...-low-fat-milk/

Quote:
Before processing, skim milk has a very unappetizing blueish color, a chalky taste, and watery texture that doesn�t resemble natural milk at all. So, to whiten, thicken, and make it taste a little more normal, powdered milk solids are often mixed into the milk.
What�s so bad about powdered milk? Well, in the manufacturing process, liquid milk is forced through tiny holes at very high pressure, which causes the cholesterol in the milk to oxidize, and toxic nitrates to form. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, while unoxidized cholesterol from unprocessed foods is actually an antioxidant to help fight inflammation in the body. The proteins found in powdered milk are so denatured that they are unrecognizable by the body and contribute to inflammation.
Shockingly, dairy manufacturers are not required by the FDA to label the powdered milk as a separate ingredient, because it�s still technically just �milk,� the single ingredient found on the list. So, there�s no way to be sure that it is or isn�t in your fat-free or low-fat dairy products.
https://butterbeliever.com/fat-free-d...-milk-secrets/

Lengthy read, but worth it. Primer on man made vs natural fats..........
Enjoy Saturated Fats, They�re Good for You!

by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

� #5
Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Thanks for the info SG, I knew that saturated fat wasn't bad for you like they tried to scare everyone into believing for years now. I get plenty in my diet, and eat stuff like cheese and ice cream too. I do need to lose some weight, so I guess I'm picking which things will have the fats.
� #6
Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Guide
Living Food will become famous soon enough

Solstice Goat is completely right. Something to be aware of is that milk from grass-fed cows is very high in CLA, but if they are eating a diet of grains the CLA content will be minimal. Milk from predominantly grain-fed cows has too many problems to list right now because cows are not designed to eat grains. Just because milk is organic doesn't mean that it is healthy.

It is also important to get your milk and dairy products from small farms where the cows are treated well. It may simply sound like a moral preference, but it is a health necessity because the conditions and mental state of the cow will imprint itself onto the milk. The milk may have a lot of nutrients, but if the cow is locked up in a tiny pen all day it is not worth it because the milk will be energetically toxic.

I'm not a big advocate of dairy consumption, but if you're going to do it make sure you do it right.
� #7
Old 01-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Enlightener
d0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura about

Thanks SG for that link it had information I was looking for.
Enjoy Saturated Fats, They’re Good for You!
� #8
Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Frater Aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
Thanks for the info SG, I knew that saturated fat wasn't bad for you like they tried to scare everyone into believing for years now. I get plenty in my diet, and eat stuff like cheese and ice cream too. I do need to lose some weight, so I guess I'm picking which things will have the fats.

Cutting fat isn't the way to lose weight, you must cut carbs.

It's not the butter on your bread, it's the bread.

It's not the cream in your ice cream, it's the sugar.

Lastly; your Greek yogurt is most likely using non-fat milk fortified with dehydrated milk, and also adding more as a thickener. Be sure to read up on the hazards of dehydrated milk.
� #9
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Well dehydrated milk has to be better than some of those gums they use. I have cut back on bread, etc. Been exercising more too, when you're long in the tooth, it takes a little more effort to lose the flab, lol.
� #10
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Frater Aegagrus
Talking Any time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
Thanks SG for that link it had information I was looking for.
Enjoy Saturated Fats, They�re Good for You!
You're welcome. Be sure to click the 'Best Of Dr Donald Miller' tab at the bottom of the page to access many more articles on health and nutrition.
� #11
Old 01-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Guide
Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

I never understood why they advertise yogurts to have natural probiotics -- and then PASTEURIZE it to kill them all - finally adding in artificially cultured lab-rat probiotics -- not to mention things like high fructose corn syrup to make it taste super sweet. They have turned what was once a healthy treat into pure junk food equivalent to a candy bar.
� #12
Old 01-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Guide
Living Food will become famous soon enough

Why not buy the best quality milk you can and make your own yogurt? That way you have 100% quality control over what goes in it, you can ferment it as long or as short as you like, you'll learn a valuable new skill, and it's fun! Good things start to happen once you take responsibility for growing/making your own food. Relying on other people to feed us high-quality food, especially faceless corporations, is not a good strategy.
� #13
Old 01-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Frater Aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
Well dehydrated milk has to be better than some of those gums they use.

Quote:
liquid milk is forced through tiny holes at very high pressure, which causes the cholesterol in the milk to oxidize, and toxic nitrates to form. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries
Why not avoid both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
I never understood why they advertise yogurts to have natural probiotics -- and then PASTEURIZE it to kill them all -
Ingredients
pasteurized organic whole milk, live active cultures.

Trader Joe's
� #14
Old 01-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Frater Aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Food View Post
Why not buy the best quality milk you can and make your own yogurt? That way you have 100% quality control over what goes in it, you can ferment it as long or as short as you like, you'll learn a valuable new skill, and it's fun! Good things start to happen once you take responsibility for growing/making your own food. Relying on other people to feed us high-quality food, especially faceless corporations, is not a good strategy.

I was making Kefir for a while.
� #15
Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Food View Post
I made my own yogurt for several years, a long time ago, but now I choose not to dedicate the time to it, and prefer to buy already made for convenience.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.