Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

� #1
Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Lecturer
liverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of light
Default No Deaths From Vitamins During 2013

https://credence.org/ECpages/?page_id=138

Quote:
31 Years of Supplement Safety Once Again

Confirmed by America�s Largest Database

by Andrew W. Saul, Editor

(OMNS Jan 14, 2015) There were no deaths whatsoever from vitamins in the year 2013. The 31st annual report from the American Association of Poison Control Centers shows zero deaths from multiple vitamins. And, there were no deaths whatsoever from vitamin A, niacin, vitamin B-6, any other B-vitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, or any vitamin at all.

Zero deaths from vitamins. Want to bet this will never be on the evening news?
� #2
Old 01-16-2015, 08:21 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

No, they won't be touting that on the evening news, that's for sure. Supplements won't be a good thing until the FDA/gov't has their greedy little hands on them. When we have to pay a physician to write a prescription for 500mg vitamin C, 15 capsules...and we have to pay $30 to fill the script, then it will be good stuff!
� #3
Old 01-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Guide
Living Food will become famous soon enough

Actually, many vitamin supplements are full of toxic substances.

A brief excerpt from the above link:

Quote:
What is Your Vitamin Really?

Most vitamins in supplements are petroleum extracts, coal tar derivatives, and chemically processed sugar (plus sometimes industrially processed fish oils), with other acids and industrial chemicals (such as formaldehyde) used to process them [1-5]. Synthetic vitamins were originally developed because they cost less [7]. Assuming the non-food product does not contain fish oils, most synthetic, petroleum-derived, supplements will call their products �vegetarian�, not because they are from plants, but because they are not from animals.
What about the studies that show that people who took synthetic vitamin supplements had a higher risk of getting certain diseases? People into natural and alternative health like to poo-poo them and say they were funded by the drug companies, but what if the studies are actually accurate? Considering what many of these supplements contain, that wouldn't be much of a stretch.

There are some high-quality food-based supplements out there, but they are relatively few and far between. Any supplement that you could walk into your local drug store and buy is almost certainly going to diminish your health, not increase it.
� #4
Old 01-16-2015, 10:15 PM
Guide

There may not have been any people who died from vitamin overdoses in 2013 (not surprising), but there could well be thousands of people whose diseases were helped along by their daily multivitamin.
� #5
Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 AM
Reader
Audi is on a distinguished road

This would explain why I am unable to tolerant a lot of vitamins I have tried, many that other's claim to have worked for them, had a negative affect on me as my body seems sensitive to unnatural things.

But unfortunately it is not easy to get the required amount from food alone and there aren't many 'natural' vitamins available in capsule form.
� #6
Old 01-17-2015, 05:52 AM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

The clinical studies regarding vitamins seem to be done using Centrum vitamins. I would not use those, because there is no evidence that they are, as Audi says, "natural". They have been around a long time. Most of the public use them, mainly due to marketing. Yet most of the public is still alive. Life and death are not good statistics for vitamin studies. It is the side effects and imbalances that don't show up in those studies. So in my opinion, it is improper to make a claim that insinuates that there have been no deaths due to vitamins. How do they know? Would a doctor or pathologist be able to say that death was caused by too much selenium because of a vitamin overdose? Or too much iron causing blah, blah, blah; which caused death?

I have taken multivitamins for many years. I'm careful to read the labels. I'm currently very please with Nature's Way. I hope they keep it up. Their Alive brand is food sourced.

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
� #7
Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

Centrum vitamins made by Pfizer...I'd run the other way before taking them! Plus, I understand that those hard pills don't even dissolve in your system anyway. I use either Country Life or Solaray (iron-free).
� #8
Old 01-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Enlightener
d0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura about

Everyone normally looks for a bargain some of the vitamin/mineral supplements are garbage but cheap. I far as I am concerned my health is worth a few more dollars and a little research. The old saying you get what you pay for comes to mind. Any vitamin made from a drug company who gets rich from you being sick should be something to think about.
� #9
Old 01-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
C. I use Country Life.

Country Life sells cyanocobalain.

https://www.country-life.com/store/vitamin-b-12-500-mcg

.................and it's in their mutli too.

https://www.country-life.com/store/chewable-adults-multi
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
� #10
Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Guide

I don't use multivitamins, I prefer to get my nutrients from food thank you very much I understand that many people's diets wouldn't be providing them with a full spectrum of nutrients, but are these multivitamins really helping? They have vitamins and minerals, but are they in a bioavailable form? Are they in the correct proportion for proper nutrient synergy (highly unlikely), or are they more likely to have an unbalanced nutrient profile and have an antagonistic effect on certain nutrients? They may have some of the more common vitamins and minerals, but what about the hundreds to thousands of phytochemicals that each play a separate beneficial role in the body, or the enzymes and plant hormones found in living plant foods? Would these vitamins and minerals be functioning properly without these essential cofactors?

See, these multivitamins raise all sorts of questions to think about, and many of the answers are probably unsatisfactory. Are the companies employing scientists to spend hundreds of hours combing through the data so they can come up with the best ratio of nutrients, or are they throwing them together with little understanding of their synergestic and antagonistic effects?

All the other concerns are quite important, but there is an even bigger problem that is even more important than the rest, and that is the problem with the one-size-fits-all approach. When a company sells a multivitamin, they are selling one formulation of multivitamin to hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands of people. What's the problem with that? All of these thousands of people have different nutritional statuses, biochemical makeups and nutritional needs, but the company is marketing the EXACT SAME formulation to all of them!! Once person may be critically deficient in zinc, another may be critically deficient in copper (the two are antagonistic nutrients). One of them is going to be screwed! As a matter of fact, it's highly unlikely that anybody will be getting exactly what they need. Some people's nutritional status may be improved somewhat, but others will likely actually be worsened because the exact ratio of nutrients in the supplement is drastically different than the ratio their body actually needs! There are stories of couples living together and eating almost the exact same diet, yet they will have radically different nutrient statuses. That's really no surprise, but it illustrates how different we all are and how we all have different needs. No generic, mass-marketed supplement will be able to fulfill those needs properly.
� #11
Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice Goat View Post
Country Life sells cyanocobalain.

https://www.country-life.com/store/vitamin-b-12-500-mcg

.................and it's in their mutli too.

https://www.country-life.com/store/chewable-adults-multi

It looks like that's the forum they use in Solaray, which is too bad, never noticed that. The country life I use says their B-12 is dibencozide. I know you didn't mention that one in your B-12 thread. https://www.vitacost.com/country-life...ian-capsules-3
� #12
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
The country life I use says their B-12 is dibencozide.
That is good.

Quote:
Cobamamide (AdoCbl), which is also known as adenosylcobalamin and dibencozide, is, along with methylcobalamin (MeCbl), one of the active forms of vitamin B12.
Yarrow doesn't sell cyanocobalamin.

Unfortunately, Country Life uses Folic Acid rather than methyl folate in that multi.
� #13
Old 01-19-2015, 10:16 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Thanks SG!
� #14
Old 01-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Enlightener
d0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura about

The only complaint about vitamins and minerals is they are unregulated and do not have a strict quality control after saying that the track record of vitamins and minerals are one million times safer than the drugs that have a double blind placebo tested and have to go through strict testing regulated.
Drugs kill millions per year.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.