Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

� #1
Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Observer
wicki859 is on a distinguished road
Default Magnesium Hydroxide...Safe? Beneficial?

So, I am new here. I am kind of excited that I found this forum actually. I am wondering if you could help me out. I take a supplement that is touted as a gentle daily cleanse that is supposed to oxygenate and energize the body. It is sold in conjunction with a probiotic. One of the main ingredients listed on the label is magnesium. So, I thought that was great. I know many people are magnesium deficient, and I am sure I am. I thought this product might be a great way to get what I need. We were actually taking a mag sup that was from Pure Encapsulations, and that was Magnesium glycinate.

Are there really even any benefits to magnesium hydroxide other than being a laxative? Can you get any of the other benefits of magnesium? Or should I can that supplement and go with a better form of mag?

The ingredients in this are Ascorbic Acid 150mg, Magnesium Hydroxide 380 mg, Sodium 50mg, and Bioflavinoid (lemon quince and grapefruit) 50mg.

Could I do better with Epsom salt baths and a mag oil?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
� #2
Old 01-07-2015, 08:04 AM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

Magnesium oxide and mag hydroxide are not well utilized by the body. They just sit in the intestines and accumulate water. The best form of magnesium are those that are bound by acids such as mag citrate and mag malate. Another excellent form is mag chloride. You can even get mag chloride in a liquid form, commonly called magnesium oil, though it is not really an oil. You use it externally on your skin. It is transdermal, and the body can use it easily, as it does not go through the digestive system. And it is cheap.

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
� #3
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Enlightener
d0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura about

All these minerals are essential but they work as a team and to separate one it might be a big mistake. Pit picking minerals or vitamins are for experts and not for the average person. If you want to play it would be an idea if you get a hair or nail annalists to see just what is missing or what you might be toxic in.
� #4
Old 01-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

I put magnesium chloride in my hydrating beverage. In pill form I take magnesium citrate.
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
� #5
Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

I take magnesium citrate daily, also use epsom salts occasionally for a relaxing bath, and mag oil for cramps.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.