Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

� #1
Old 05-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Observer
angeljazz711 is on a distinguished road
Default dependent personality disorder

I have been dealing with mental health issues for as far back as I can remember: mostly anxiety and depression later in my life. (I'm now 28.) My doctor has put me on lexapro, which I'm not thrilled about, but it has taken the edge off.

Even so, I find that I still have certain issues. I'm extremely complacent around people because I want them to consider me normal and like me. That's when I HAVE to be social. Normally, I just keep to myself, can't stand having people be clingy, etc. I have trouble being a normal person because I can't get a job. I get overwhelmed on the first day and have crying spell panic things, and I end up quitting. I have trouble with decisions (especially life decisions), and I'm known to be "oversensitive."

Long story short: I think I have a personality disorder, specifically dependent personality disorder.

Does anyone know about these behavioral disorders and potential causes or maybe deficiencies or conditions that contribute to them? It's hard to find good information on the subject.

Thanks for any input!
� #2
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Guide
Ajax will become famous soon enoughAjax will become famous soon enough

Maybe you don't have a personality disorder, perhaps you just have a less common personality type and haven't yet gotten yourself to feel "at home" with it. Try the Myers-Briggs personality test. After I took it (I am INTP), my gf and I looked up website describing that personality and she said "Man, have they got you labeled". I am also very sensitive but my reaction is usually anger, and I have learned to deal with it and control it.
I recommend everyone take the Myers-Briggs personality test - it will open up your eyes regarding your thoughts, opinions, and reactions.

https://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Last edited by Ajax; 05-21-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: error in abbreviation
� #3
Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Observer
angeljazz711 is on a distinguished road

I've taken the Jung test in the past (and just retook it), and I'm an INFP. I know that this explains why I get overemotional and why I'm borderline antisocial, but I don't think it explains why I've been unable to "grow up." I have really low self esteem and it's like my successes don't even matter to me. I haven't been able to finish school or keep a job, and I live with my mom still. It just feels extreme--like I'm unable to function the way I want.

But thanks for the reply. It gives me something to consider so maybe I'm not so harsh with myself.
� #4
Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Explorer
larryz is on a distinguished road

Hello and sorry to hear about your condition.

I firmly feel there is nothing that a change in diet can cure.

Here is what I know about depression and mental issues - (good luck!)

Possible Causes and Contributing Factors:
Food allergy/sensitivity
Psychological stress
Thiamine deficiency
Endocrine hypo-function
Carbohydrate sensitivity resulting in dysinsulinism
Lack of sunlight
Medications
Heavy metal toxicity
Candida
Chronic illness or pain
Nutritional deficiencies (particularly B12, folic acid, B6, B1, tyrosine & tryptophan)

Suggested Dietary Changes:
Eliminate gluten, dairy for 2 weeks
Avoid aspartame (blocks serotonin to the brain)
� #5
Old 05-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Explorer
BKnatural will become famous soon enough

I think your right on the money with this response. Food sensitivities is something that is too far overlooked and needs to be considered more before people go to a doctor only to get hooked on some prescription. These do you no good, and is really a dependancy in itself. I struggle with similar issues as angeljazz711. I have realized you really need to come at peace with who you are and accept it. Don't hide anything your ashamed of in social gatherings because it really doesn't matter what people think. I struggle with conforming to the norm and therefore I refuse to because I now see my uniqueness as a gift and once you embrace it and let it shine, people like you more because you are not hiding anything, which can be awkward and uncomfortable.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.