Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Cancer

� #1
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough
Default Whole grain proven against colon cancer

As the researchers analyzed their diets, they found that the consistent (daily) consumption of whole-grain wheat foods, including whole-grain breads and cereals resulted in a 44% lower incidence of colorectal cancer among the population studied.

==================

New evidence from the Danish Cancer Society Research Center, Copenhagen has confirmed that whole grain foods made from wheat and rye significantly reduce the risk of colon cancer.

The researchers followed 1,372 colorectal cancer patients together with 1,372 matched healthy persons as part of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study.

To confirm whole grain wheat and rye consumption the researchers measured blood levels of alkylresorcinols � phenolic lipids consumed almost exclusively from the bran of cereal grasses wheat and rye.

The researchers found that those with the highest 25% of alkylresorcinols in their bloodstream had a 52% lower incidence of distal colon cancer, with the lowest risk ranging from a 72% lower incidence.

Furthermore, among Scandinavians, higher levels of alkylresorcinols had a 27% reduced incidence of all types of colon cancer.

Furthermore, their research found that among populations that ate greater amounts of alkylresorcinols � notably Central Europe and Scandinavian countries � there was a clear relationship. This of course means that it isn�t about eating a few meals here and there with whole wheat and rye: Rather, it is about consistently including whole grains in the diet.

The researchers stated this clearly:

�Plasma alkylresorcinols concentrations were associated with colon and distal colon cancer only in Central Europe and Scandinavia (ie, areas where alkylresorcinol levels were higher).�

Those areas where �alkylresorcinol levels were higher� relate to regions where more whole-grain wheats are consumed. Other regions of Europe and among many other western countries, wheat products consumed are primarily from white (refined) flours, which contain little alkylresorcinol content.

https://www.realnatural.org/whole-gra...-colon-cancer/

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
� #2
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Guide
d0ug will become famous soon enoughd0ug will become famous soon enough

I would wonder who sponsored the study. Like most sponsored studies the results are owned by the person or company who sponsored the research.
So if it is not in their interest it will not be published.
On the same page as the article there is more wheat advertising.
I have a gluten intolerance that took 71 years to find so I am a little suspicious of anything pushing grain. Maybe with all the gluten free diets there are companies starting to hurt.
� #3
Old 03-17-2014, 01:42 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

Did you happen to read through the References. And it is reported by someone quite trustworthy to the natural world https://www.caseadams.com/
� #4
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation The vast damage done by grain, A-Z from arthritis to..........

Quote:
This Is Your Gut on Gluten

Posted: 08/06/2013 11:54 am

Are you curious to know what's really happening inside your body when you eat your morning bagel or bowl of cereal?
What is gluten?
Gluten is a protein made up of the peptides gliadin and glutenin and it is found in many grains such as wheat, semolina, spelt, kamut, rye and barley.
Gluten (from Latin, "glue") is a protein that gives bread its airy and fluffy texture and dough its sticky texture. It's also used as a stabilizing agent in many processed foods, such as salad dressings and mayonnaise. It's in almost everything from beauty products to packaged foods to medications and supplements.
Why is gluten getting such a bad rap now?
The prevalence of celiac and gluten intolerance has increased significantly over the last 50 years. A 2009 study published in Gastroenterology showed that celiac disease has increased from one in 650 people to one in 120 people over the last 50 years.
We're no longer eating the wheat that our parents ate. In order to have the drought-resistant, bug-resistant and faster growing wheat that we have today, we've hybridized the grain. It's estimated that 5 percent of the proteins found in hybridized wheat are new proteins that were not found in either of the original wheat plants. These "new proteins" are part of the problem that has lead to increased systemic inflammation, widespread gluten intolerance and higher rates of celiac.
Today's wheat has also been deamidated, which allows it to be water soluble and capable of being mixed into virtually every kind of packaged food. This deamidation has been shown to produce a large immune response in many people. Lastly, in our modern fast-paced world with fast food at our fingertips, we're eating much more wheat than our ancestors ever did.
So, what happens in your gut when you eat gluten?
LINK to Article

Dr Mercola:

Quote:
Investigators describe the case of a patient with a two-year history of adult dermatomyositis. This is a relatively rare form of rheumatoid arthritis that has many skin symptoms. The patient had malabsorption and had celiac disease.
Their observation raises the question of an association between dermatomyositis and celiac disease as part of a continuum, suggesting that celiac disease may be included within the spectrum of the gastrointestinal manifestations of dermatomyositis and polymyositis.
Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2001 Mar-Apr;19(2):201-3

This is a very interesting case report that strongly suggests a correlation between the consumption of gluten (wheat, rye, barley, oats and spelt) and rheumatoid arthritis.
This clearly is not universally true for all patients with RA, but I have seen a substantial percentage of the over 2,000 patients I have treated for RA improve quite dramatically once they stopped eating gluten. I have seen many go into complete remission by doing this.
Although stopping gluten is very difficult to do, it is certainly a reasonable approach to consider for such a devastating illness. Generally improvement is noted in a week or two.
Please see the other article and comment I wrote in this issue regarding rheumatoid arthritis.
Related Articles:
"Leaky Gut" Intestinal Protein Linked to Autoimmune Disorders ...

The Prevalence of Celiac Disease in At-Risk Groups of Children in the United States

Quote:
Leaky Gut

In a recent comment – it’s nice to have smart readers! – Rich brought up the links between wheat and leaky gut.
Leaky gut is the first step toward autoimmune disease. As a recent review states:
Susceptibility to at least 50 diseases, including celiac disease (CD) and type 1 diabetes (T1D), has been associated with specific HLA class I or class II alleles. A common denominator of these diseases is the presence of several preexisting conditions that lead to an autoimmune process…. In all cases, increased permeability precedes disease and causes an abnormality in antigen delivery that triggers immune events, eventually leading to a multiorgan process and autoimmunity. [1]
Gluten is a complex of proteins found in wheat, rye, oats (PAJ: see comments), barley, and other grains. One part of gluten is a type of protein called prolamins, which are chiefly responsible for gut damage:
It is the gliadin fraction of wheat gluten and similar alcohol-soluble proteins in other grains (collectively known as prolamins) that are associated with the development of intestinal damage. A common feature of the prolamins of wheat, rye, and barley is a high content of glutamine (>30%) and proline (>15%), whereas the nontoxic prolamins of rice and corn have lower glutamine and proline content. [1]
I’m quoting this because it speaks to the differences among grains. Rice and corn do not contain gluten. Corn contains other dangerous toxins, but is not a primary cause of autoimmune disease. Rice is the only grain we consider safe to eat.

From Cholera to the Cause of Leaky Gut

The mechanisms by which wheat causes leaky gut have been intensively studied by Dr. Alessio Fasano’s group. In 1995 Dr. Fasano and colleagues discovered that a toxin released by Vibrio cholerae, the bacterium that causes cholera https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholera, causes tight junctions to open for a time. [2] This makes the small intestine leaky.
Dr. Fasano and colleagues suspected that the bacterial protein’s action must mimic some natural human protein which controls intestinal permeability. In 2000, they discovered this human protein and named it “zonulin.” [3]
Wheat and Crohn’s Disease

They subsequently showed that gliadin stimulates zonulin release. Gliadin binds to a receptor called CXCR3, and activation of this receptor triggers zonulin release and increased intestinal permeability.
Interestingly, zonulin release was much higher and longer-lasting in Crohn’s disease patients than in healthy patients. [1] Restriction of gluten restores intestinal integrity in Crohn’s disease patients.
So Crohn’s disease patients should absolutely not eat wheat!
Leaky Gut and Type I Diabetes

A leaky small intestine is a feature of many autoimmune diseases, but Crohn’s disease and Type I diabetes are notable for highly permeable small intestines. Patients with both diseases have high serum levels of zonulin. [1]
In a rat model of Type I diabetes, the BioBreeding diabetes prone or “BBDP” line of rats often develops a leaky gut at age 50 to 75 days when eating a (toxic) diet of rat chow. Zonulin levels increase up to 35-fold at this time, but were reduced if the rats were fed a gluten-free diet. Rats with the highest zonulin levels developed Type I diabetes develops 15 to 25 days later. If a compound that blocks the action of zonulin is given to the rats, Type I diabetes incidence is reduced 70%. [1, 4]
This shows how crucial a leaky gut is to onset of autoimmune diseases like Type I diabetes, and also how quickly diseases can develop once the gut is compromised. The longer the gut is leaky, the greater the likelihood that some autoimmune disease will develop.
In humans, the relationships between these diseases are much the same as in rats. Crohn’s disease and Type I diabetes are co-morbid: the prevalence of Crohn’s among Type I diabetics is 6- to 9-fold higher than in the general population. Meanwhile, newborn children exposed to wheat at 3 months of age or earlier, when the gut is immature, are 4- to 5-fold more likely to develop Type I diabetes. [4]
Conclusion

Leaky gut is a prerequisite for development of autoimmune disease. Wheat seems to create a transient, mild leaky gut in nearly everyone, but in Crohn’s disease the gut becomes chronically and severely leaky in response to wheat consumption.
In rats, this leaky gut can lead to development of autoimmune diseases like Type I diabetes in as little as a few weeks.
If you eat wheat, it’s probably only a matter of time before you develop some disease or other. All of the autoimmune diseases, from rheumatoid arthritis to Hashimoto’s to lupus, are made more likely by wheat consumption. Why not switch to rice or other “safe starches” and save yourself some trouble?
Related Posts

Other posts in this series:
  1. Why Wheat Is A Concealed Cause of Many Diseases, II: Auto-Antibody Generation. Oct 28, 2010.
  2. Why Wheat Is A Concealed Cause of Many Diseases, III: Adjuvant Activity Nov 1, 2010.
LINK

Quote:
Here are some of the details about how wheat can be harmful:
-Wheat can bind important minerals from our food and prevent their absorption. These include calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc and copper – all essential for good health.
-Wheat can reduce our digestive enzymes, especially those from the pancreas, rendering key foods less digestible – including protein and fats. By not digesting protein, amino acid absorption is impaired, and whole protein absorption could cause allergies. And by not digesting fat, essential fatty acids may not be absorbed adversely affecting a whole spectrum of problems from skin quality to inflammation and hormonal balance.
-Since wheat is high glycemic, it can lead to the production of higher amounts of insulin by the pancreas. In addition to causing more fat storage, this can also increase the risk of various diseases later in life, including diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.
https://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/10...s-i-leaky-gut/

Read more

Celiac Disease, Effects Of Gluten On The Body, Gluten, Gluten Intolerant, Gluten-Free, How Gluten Affects The Body, Wheat, Healthy Living News
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
� #5
Old 04-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Guide

Yes gluten intolerance is one of the biggest problems we have because most people do not know they have it. Anyone one who has had chronic lung problems [bronchitis, asthma] when young, stomach pain, appendicitis, skin rashes, dry skin. All these can be a sign of gluten intolerance. The only way you can check it out is to go 100% gluten free for three month and than go back and have a large amount of gluten and see what happens. There is no reliable test to know for sure.
Once you become gluten intolerance the small intestine gets destroyed by the unbroken protein going through the system it destroys the villi which is very small tubular structure in the intestine that absorbs minerals, vitamins, amino acids and fatty acids. These can not be absorbed but calories and sugar can be absorbed.
When the villi get badly destroyed it leaves holes with is all a leaky gut and allows large particles of food enter the blood stream and the immune system knowing they don’t belong there reacts.
Anyone who has chronic or multi health problem probably has gluten intolerance and unable to get the nourishment they need to correct their problem.
� #6
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Lecturer
knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for that, dear Jim. Interesting article.

Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever or whatever is the victim.
Everything is worthy of kindness.

https://holy-lance.blogspot.com
� #7
Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM
perpetual student

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion View Post
Thank you for that, dear Jim. Interesting article.
You're welcome, Knight.

I don't buy into this gluten free fad that has become a pseudo-science. I tried a gluten free diet for at least 3 months, and it did absolutely nothing for me other than punish me in depriving me of food that I like very much.

Quote:
URL: https://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-ki...h-about-gluten

Most of the people who reach for gluten-free products don�t have celiac disease and or even a sensitivity to wheat, Peter H.R. Green, MD, director of the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, told WebMD. "The market for gluten-free products is exploding. Why exactly we don�t know. Many people may just perceive that a gluten-free diet is healthier."

In fact, it isn�t. For people with celiac disease, a gluten-free diet is essential. But for others, "unless people are very careful, a gluten-free diet can lack vitamins, minerals, and fiber," says Green.
I think the real problem is the Round-up herbicide chemicals left on genetically modified wheat. They can have the same symptoms of celiac disease. It is the biological effects of glyphosate � cytochrome P450 inhibition, and unfortunately a good reason to avoid GMO crops such as corn, soybeans and wheat.
� #8
Old 04-12-2014, 06:12 AM
Lecturer
knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

To my mind the core of the problem is that commercially used wheat is 'mongrelized' cross-bred wheat and not the original natural variants our ancestors used. (Because it produces a a higher yield)
So it doesn't surprise me that many people suffer intolerance & allergies to it.

The wheat of old was viewed by the ancients as the staff of life.

I would like to see the old strains re-introduced.

Given climate change and growing global population grains are a food group humankind simply cannot do without.

Oats and millet are both super foods that mankind could make much better use of.

Ditto quinoa - technically not a grain but bracketed as such. Indeed from reports I've heard of it looks set to be the food of the 21st century.
� #9
Old 04-13-2014, 05:48 AM
Guide

It is very difficult to go gluten free because gluten is hidden in most foods, tomato soup, chicken soup, processed meats, gravies, a lot of canned products use wheat as a thickener.
If anyone else in the house is eating gluten you can be contaminated.
You need to be fanatical about checking what you eat and what is around you to be gluten free.
� #10
Old 04-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
It is very difficult to go gluten free because gluten is hidden in most foods, tomato soup, chicken soup, processed meats, gravies, a lot of canned products use wheat as a thickener.
If anyone else in the house is eating gluten you can be contaminated.
You need to be fanatical about checking what you eat and what is around you to be gluten free.

Yes. The wheat section starts at the bakery/deli, continues to the snacks/chips, runs all the way through the frozen food section, doesn't stop at the canned goods, soup mixes, baking section, runs through the drink section, processed dairy, etc.

Believing that we cannot exist without grain is definitely high praise for Monsanto et al.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.