Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

� #1
Old 03-10-2014, 05:40 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough
Default New accurate test for Alzheimer's

I would like to know if fish oil can supplement for those missing 10 lipids.

URL: https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/09/health...rs-blood-test/
Title: Blood test predicts Alzheimer's disease - CNN.com

(CNN) -- In a first-of-its-kind study, researchers have developed a blood test for Alzheimer's disease that predicts with astonishing accuracy whether a healthy person will develop the disease. Though much work still needs to be done, it is hoped the test will someday be available in doctors' offices, since the only methods for predicting Alzheimer's right now, such as PET scans and spinal taps, are expensive, impractical, often unreliable and sometimes risky.

"This is a potential game-changer," said Dr. Howard Federoff, senior author of the report and a neurologist at Georgetown University Medical Center. "My level of enthusiasm is very high."

The study was published in Nature Medicine.

'We were surprised'

In the beginning, the researchers knew they wanted to find a blood test to detect Alzheimer's but didn't know what specifically to look for. Should they examine patients' DNA? Their RNA? Or should they look for the byproducts of DNA and RNA, such as fats and proteins?

They decided to start with fats, since it was the easiest and least expensive. They drew blood from hundreds of healthy people over age 70 living near Rochester, New York, and Irvine, California. Five years later, 28 of the seniors had developed Alzheimer's disease or the mild cognitive problems that usually precede it.

Scouring more than 100 fats, or lipids, for what might set this group apart, they found that these 28 seniors had low levels of 10 particular lipids, compared with healthy seniors.

To confirm their findings, the researchers then looked at the blood of 54 other patients who had Alzheimer's or mild cognitive impairment. This group also had low levels of the lipids.

Overall, the blood test predicted who would get Alzheimer's or mild cognitive impairment with over 90% accuracy.

"We were surprised," said Mark Mapstone, a neuropsychologist at the University of Rochester Medical Center and lead author of the study. "But it turns out that it appears we were looking in the right place."

The beauty of this test, Mapstone says, is that it caught Alzheimer's before the patient even had symptoms, suggesting that the disease process begins long before people's memories start failing. He says that perhaps the lipid levels started decreasing at the same time as brain cells started dying.

He and his team plan to try out this test in people in their 40s and 50s. If that works, he says, that would be the "holy grail," because then researchers could try experimental drugs and treatments in a group that's almost sure to get the disease. That would speed research along immensely.

Plus, people could get a heads up that they were probably destined to get Alzheimer's. Although some people might not want to know that they're destined for a horrible disease, others might be grateful for the warning.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
� #2
Old 03-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Guide
d0ug will become famous soon enoughd0ug will become famous soon enough

The news reporter said that you could not do anything about. The pharmaceutical industry is on the march again to trap unknowing public.
This what they want you to believe that you are a victim of your body and you have no choice just line up at the doctor office and take their drugs that don’t work

� #3
Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Lecturer
liverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really nice

Could be years before this test is available, meanwhile for those approaching older age there is the peanut butter test.
Coconut oil and cutting out sucrose and lower carbs is already proving effective.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...detection.aspx
� #4
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Guide
d0ug will become famous soon enoughd0ug will become famous soon enough

The doctor caused this problem by telling everyone to stop eating fat and now there are finding that cholesterol is good. I wonder how many people following the doctors orders now or will have Alzheimer
� #5
Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 AM
Observing cool stuff
happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
The doctor caused this problem by telling everyone to stop eating fat and now there are finding that cholesterol is good. I wonder how many people following the doctors orders now or will have Alzheimer

Well, if lipid counts are not within the ever so strict and unfounded range of BELOW 100 - the newly formed forced health insurance will be CERTAIN to have all the healthy people on as many drugs as possible to lower the numbers and kill them quicker.

Just an opinion.
� #6
Old 03-11-2014, 03:44 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice

I've been taking a spoonful of coconut oil almost every day for a long time now, in the hopes of avoiding Alzheimer's, which has been in my family. Also using a good omega 3 fish oil. Don't know if I'd want the test, just try to prevent it and hope for the best. My memory was never that great, even when I was younger.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.