Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Alternative Therapies

� #1
Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Observer
feversandmirrors is on a distinguished road
Question First time using aromatherapy; few questions about dosing/diffusing

I�ve been dealing with severe anxiety for just about as long as I can remember (dating back to puberty) and after trying many different methods of treatment with mixed/no results I�m giving aromatherapy a try. This is something I�ve never done before so I�m very much a newbie at this and was hoping to get some help/advice here.

I ordered the Zaq Mirage Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser and bought 0.5 oz Aura Cacia Lavender Calming Oil from a local health food store as my first essential oil to try with it, since I�ve read Lavender is the �go-to� essential oil for anxiety.

My main question is about dosing. The �Mirage� model diffuser seems to have recently replaced the �Dew� model diffuser and has no reviews on Amazon; all the reviews are for the Dew model still. The Mirage holds 150ml water vs the Dew which held 80ml, so the dosing instructions in the reviews are kind of hard to follow. In addition, the bottle of lavender oil itself says �Suggested usage: Soothing mist, 18 drops lavender, 1 oz water in a mister.� Since there are just over 5 ounces in the 150ml of water that the Mirage diffuser takes, this would suggest 18 x 5 drops, or 90 drops total into the diffuser. This is very contradictory to the user manual for the diffuser which gives a vague recommendation of �3 to 5 drops� of essential oil into the water.

Also, most of the Amazon reviews for the diffuser only recommend adding �a few drops� or 2 � 4 drops, but those are for the Dew model which holds approximately half as much water, so I�d think it would about double that for the Mirage model which holds 150ml vs 80ml. Either way, there�s quite a variance between 90 drops of oil that the oil bottle recommends and the 2 � 4 (or 4 � 8 If doubled) that the Amazon reviews recommend and the 3 � 5 drops that the Mirage diffuser manual recommends. I don�t know if the bottle recommends that many drops because it�s a distilled version of lavender oil or a weaker potency or if I�m just not understanding some key piece of info here, but any help from someone more experienced than I would be much appreciated!

Btw, so far after running it for ~25 minutes with 4 drops of lavender oil in the diffuser in the center of the room, placed about 3 feet away from me, the lavender scent is only very faint�but again, I�m not sure if that�s how it�s supposed to be or not.

P.S.
I�ve also got three more essential oils on their way in the mail that I�ve seen recommended for anxiety�they�re 1 oz Ylang Ylang Extra by Now Foods, 1 oz Bergamot by Plant Therapy Essential Oils and 0.34 oz Roman Chamomile (undiluted) by Nature�s Kiss. I�d love to know the proper dosing instructions for these oils as well if possible.

Thanks so much for any and all help!
� #2
Old 04-19-2014, 03:09 PM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

Nice, but you can buy cheaper diffusers and find lavender oil cheap at iherb.
� #3
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

Great essential oil prices here, too. https://essentialoils4less.com/termsandconditions.sc
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell

Tags
anxiety, aromatherapy, diffusions, drops, lavender essential oil
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.