Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Colds, Flu & Fever

� #1
Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Observer
hopeful is on a distinguished road
Default What vitamins should seniors take more of during the winter?

Last winter me and my wife did pretty good as far as not being sick in the cold and flu season. We took vitamin d, vitamin c and a b vitamin every day, besides a multi vitamin and fish oil. Should we take more of anything else in the winter months to keep from getting colds? We also try to eat healthier all year around now. We don't have a lot of money to spend on supplements, so we try to keep to the basics. Thanks
� #2
Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice

I agree that vitamin D3, ascorbic acid, and a vitamin B-50, along with fish oil and a multi are very good to take during cold season. Here are some other vitamins and herbs that you may want to consider using...https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Common_Cold
� #3
Old 10-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Guide
Ajax will become famous soon enoughAjax will become famous soon enough

The best way to avoid colds and flu is frequent hand-washing. Most viruses you catch get on your hands first, then wiping an eye, rubbing your lips, or eating sandwiches or finger food gets the virus into your system.
� #4
Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice

I definitely agree that washing your hands is a good practice to protect against colds. I also use the disposable wipes they supply in supermarkets, to wipe the handle of the cart. Anyone who goes out in public, touches doorknobs, counters, etc. benefits from a good hand washing. I wash my hands when I come home before I touch anything in my house.
� #5
Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Lecturer
knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

I'd say you've had some very wise counsel here, Hopeful. I can't really add anything further other than a recommendation for the regular addition of garlic to your diet.

Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever or whatever is the victim.
Everything is worthy of kindness.

https://holy-lance.blogspot.com
� #6
Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

If you're taking a B-50 complex daily, it will also be beneficial to take a sublingual B-12. I'm currently using a 1,000mcg Methylcobalamin.
� #7
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Observer
ReadmeByAmy is on a distinguished road

It is hard to get sick having colds and coughs during the winter season so I indulged myself eating the natural healthy way ahead of time. I include a lot of garlic and onions on my diet because it is a natural antibiotic and this really works for me and I rarely had colds and coughs all through the year. I also drink natural ginger tea everyday and this will also helps a lot. Drinking lots of water also is the best especially for seniors to take during the winter season

Tags
aging, colds, flu, vitamins, winter
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.