Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Systems & Organs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2011, 01:51 AM
stoneman3 stoneman3 is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4
stoneman3 is on a distinguished road
Default copd

Sorry I need info on supplements and herbs to combat copd. help is appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM
kind2creatures's Avatar
kind2creatures kind2creatures is online now
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,571
Blog Entries: 44
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneman3 View Post
Sorry I need info on supplements and herbs to combat copd. help is appreciated
Stoneman3, from everything I've read about COPD, I'd recommend that you look into taking Vitamin D3, at least 2,000 IU's daily, Bromelain and Hawthorn. Here's a site with some info that may help.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/respiratory/copd_01.htm
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2011, 05:34 PM
saved1986's Avatar
saved1986 saved1986 is offline
In seaerch of spicy food
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,980
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default

K2C is correct on Bromelain. You need to take it on an empty stomach. Also the following:

1) N Acetyl Cysteine also known as NAC.

2) Try serrapeptase (on an empty stomach)

3) Cayenne pepper capsules or eat some hot salsa.

4) Coffee daily, 2 cups in the morning and one in the evening (caffeine breaks down into a substace called theophylline in the body which is a bronchodialator.

5) Magnesium 200 mg daily

6) CoEnzyme Q
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Arrowwind09's Avatar
Arrowwind09 Arrowwind09 is offline
Standing at the Portal
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,552
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Why would you want to break down theophyline, saved? Keeping the airway dialated is a critical issue for COPD.

I certainly would used vitamin D3 but at much higher dosages, like 5,000 IU minimum.
Load with 10,000 for at least 2 weeks, daily

Serrapeptase is certainly important. go to www.serrapeptase.info

You also want to make sure your heart is nourished will and vascular system in general as copd takes a significant toal on them over time and many copd folks end up with heart failure.
__________________
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." Marcus Aurelius
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM
stoneman3 stoneman3 is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4
stoneman3 is on a distinguished road
Default

thank you all. I do take 7000 units d3, 200 mg of ubiquinol, bomelein, I have to get Hawthorn.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 AM
saved1986's Avatar
saved1986 saved1986 is offline
In seaerch of spicy food
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,980
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowwind09 View Post
Why would you want to break down theophyline, saved? Keeping the airway dialated is a critical issue for COPD.

I certainly would used vitamin D3 but at much higher dosages, like 5,000 IU minimum.
Load with 10,000 for at least 2 weeks, daily

Serrapeptase is certainly important. go to www.serrapeptase.info

You also want to make sure your heart is nourished will and vascular system in general as copd takes a significant toal on them over time and many copd folks end up with heart failure.

Caffeine breaks down INTO theophylline. It is basically a natural pre cursor, it does not break down theophylline, it turns into it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 AM
saved1986's Avatar
saved1986 saved1986 is offline
In seaerch of spicy food
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,980
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneman3 View Post
thank you all. I do take 7000 units d3, 200 mg of ubiquinol, bomelein, I have to get Hawthorn.
COPD: Asthma or emphysema? If you have plegm issues, definitely take NAC. Also eat some salsa or hot sauce, and I mean hot. The relief will be temporary, but it will be there.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM
pinballdoctor's Avatar
pinballdoctor pinballdoctor is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,830
pinballdoctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Everything I know about COPD tells me it is caused by fungus, therefore, it is a fungal infection. (The inflammation is caused by mycotoxins that are excreeted by fungi).

There are several natural antifungals, such as coconut oil, grapefruit seed extract, colloidal silver, etc..

It would be beneficial to purchase a small nebulizer, so you can injest colloidal silver directly into the lungs on a daily basis. Do some research on these natural antifungals.

Also, there are two kinds of nebulizers. One operates like an air compressor while the other is ultrasonic. They are both good, however, the utrasonic unit is better.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 AM
saved1986's Avatar
saved1986 saved1986 is offline
In seaerch of spicy food
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,980
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdoctor View Post
Everything I know about COPD tells me it is caused by fungus, therefore, it is a fungal infection. (The inflammation is caused by mycotoxins that are excreeted by fungi).

There are several natural antifungals, such as coconut oil, grapefruit seed extract, colloidal silver, etc..

It would be beneficial to purchase a small nebulizer, so you can injest colloidal silver directly into the lungs on a daily basis. Do some research on these natural antifungals.

Also, there are two kinds of nebulizers. One operates like an air compressor while the other is ultrasonic. They are both good, however, the utrasonic unit is better.

There was a case where someone with COPD dropped a bottle of desinex (antifungal powder) and accidently inhaled some of the powder fume that formed. A day later he was better. Aside from inhaling those things, could you just cook with coconut oil and take oral grape seed extract?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Ted_Hutchinson's Avatar
Ted_Hutchinson Ted_Hutchinson is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,877
Blog Entries: 4
Ted_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura aboutTed_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura about
Default

As Curcumin is an antifungal that may be why it helps Though it could be it works as an antioxidant also
There is some argument about the bioavailability of curcumin some say

Doctor's Best, Meriva, Phytosome Curcumins,
is better than
Doctor's Best, Best Curcumin C3 Complex, and while the price is about the same I hedge my bets and take one in the morning and the other at night.

If you're in the UK bear in mind Customs charge VAT on orders above 18 and as they use their own exchange rate leave a margin for error. Post Office charge 8 for collecting the tax so use DHL if above 18, They charge 1.25 for collecting tax and will be faster and let you know when it's left customs and is on it's way. US/Canadian readers my find cheaper elsewhere I've not checked.

]Resveratrol has a similar action
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Ted_Hutchinson's Avatar
Ted_Hutchinson Ted_Hutchinson is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,877
Blog Entries: 4
Ted_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura aboutTed_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura about
Default

Magnesium and Health has a useful section on Breathe Easy with Magnesium about the use of magnesium to improve lung function.
It's particularly useful in relation to vitamin D intake as it counterbalances the role of the extra calcium that will be absorbed as a result of the extra Vit d.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Lufega Lufega is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Lufega is on a distinguished road
Default

I don't see why everyone is recommending serrapeptase. I tried it and it gave me horrible shortness of breath for the duration of use. In fact, it was because I used this supplement that I discovered I had a deficiency of alpha-1 antitrypsin.

Think about it. In COPD, there is a protease/antiprotease imbalance with higher quantities of proteases. Serrapeptase is a type of protease. So it's just going to make things worse !

Even though it might possess anti-inflammatory actions, it will further eat away at your lungs. There many other compounds that do this without having a proteolytic activity. Bromelain is another one that I don't use because, as a protease, it has the ability to do the same.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM
saved1986's Avatar
saved1986 saved1986 is offline
In seaerch of spicy food
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,980
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufega View Post
I don't see why everyone is recommending serrapeptase. I tried it and it gave me horrible shortness of breath for the duration of use. In fact, it was because I used this supplement that I discovered I had a deficiency of alpha-1 antitrypsin.

Think about it. In COPD, there is a protease/antiprotease imbalance with higher quantities of proteases. Serrapeptase is a type of protease. So it's just going to make things worse !

Even though it might possess anti-inflammatory actions, it will further eat away at your lungs. There many other compounds that do this without having a proteolytic activity. Bromelain is another one that I don't use because, as a protease, it has the ability to do the same.
I gave my dad both serrapeptase and bromelian and there was a small positive effect. If you are having issues with those, try cordyceps and coenzyme q10 and vitamin e. good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Ted_Hutchinson's Avatar
Ted_Hutchinson Ted_Hutchinson is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,877
Blog Entries: 4
Ted_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura aboutTed_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura about
Default

Carbohydrates and COPD
This blog explains why and how maintaining a LOW CARBOHYDRATE DIET may help reduce the symptoms of COPD.
Quote:
Restricting carbohydrates in patients with COPD is critical and beneficial, because carbohydrates increase the production endogenous carbon dioxide, which further burdens the already failed respiratory functions. Furthermore, restricting carbohydrates helps normalize the level of blood glucose and reduce the level of consequent inflammation is likely reduce the risk of COPD.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 PM
ozzie's Avatar
ozzie ozzie is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: australia
Posts: 691
ozzie will become famous soon enoughozzie will become famous soon enough
Default

stoneman 3, one of my friends who has bronchiectasis,is on an Ayurvedic Diet which has helped her a lot. You would have to find a very qualified Ayurvedic practitioner though to get good results, the diet is customised especially for you, if you wish I can give you a link to have a look at how she has improved.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bromelain, copd, hawthorn, vitamin d3
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMS and COPD Xania Alternative Therapies 17 07-08-2012 04:12 PM
Interesting article (emphysema/COPD) saved1986 Systems & Organs 2 03-22-2011 06:10 PM
Research for COPD nightowl Systems & Organs 2 08-08-2010 07:07 AM
Broccoli compound helps protect lungs in COPD nightowl Systems & Organs 11 01-12-2009 10:32 AM