Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

� #1
Old 02-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Observer
Turquoise is on a distinguished road
Default Magnesium Deficiency, But Can't Take Magnesium

Hey there. I have an issue that I haven't found an answer for. I've noticed it for about eight years now, but don't remember it being an issue prior to then, for whatever reason.

I have symptoms of magnesium deficiency and I've also had hair tests that show low magnesium levels. However, when I take magnesium supplements, I get worse in several ways. I get an increase of anxiety, I sleep even worse, and I get suicidal ideation.

I tried magnesium oil for a couple of weeks or so once and I was okay for the first couple of weeks, but then I went on a short trip for a few days and when I returned the oil gave me an instant burning rash.

My only hypothesis is that due to previous heavy metal toxicity (especially mercury), my ability to absorb magnesium is damaged and therefore a sudden increase from supplementation makes the body think it has an excess and then dumps its stores. But that's just a guess.

Any ideas?
� #2
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

Magnesium oil will make my skin red and itchy, but that soon subsides. If I rub a mild body lotion over it, it helps with the itch. You can try epsom salt baths also, that may help. I heard that some people can't take magnesium before bed, as it will cause anxiety, but I haven't found that to be a problem. The only form I take internally is magnesium citrate. Although I've used mag malate in the past.
� #3
Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Lecturer
liverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of light

Magnesium is a mercury chelator, so when you take magnesium you will experience detox symptoms especially if you have a lot of mercury.

From your symptoms it sounds like you need to see a health practitioner experienced in heavy metal chelation. Getting rid of large amounts of mercury is a job for experts. Using supplements such as alpha lipoic acid and chorella just moves the mercury around the body and can make things a lot worse especially if it lands up in the brain.

If your source of high mercury is amalgams you may have to get these replaced before chelating, otherwise you could pull more out of the fillings with the chelation and make the situation worse.
� #4
Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 AM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

Good one, Liverock. Whenever I take alpha lipoic acid, I itch like crazy in the most inappropriate places. So, I know it is working. Even better, cilantro, an herb used in many Mexican dishes. It binds to mercury as it is removed from the body. It has even been know to pass the brain barrier to bind with it there.

Magnesium should be experienced as a calmative. That's the objective. Magnesium relaxes the muscles, including the smooth muscles in the arteries. This makes the blood flow freer. Take care of your heavy metal toxicity, and try magnesium again.

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.