Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

� #1
Old 01-02-2015, 08:29 AM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice
Default What vitamins to take or skip

Nice page with lots of info. I still like to take a multivitamin sourced from whole food just in case.

Quote:
So which supplements are worth bothering with? How do you know you're not just throwing money out the door when you grab a multivitamin off the shelf? Amidst the confusion, there are certain supplements where the scientific evidence for taking them is much stronger than others. And there are supplements where popular misconception far outweighs the scientific evidence.

https://gizmodo.com/what-vitamins-to-...-th-1669612592
Don't miss this more technical site mentioned on that page. https://ods.od.nih.gov/

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
� #2
Old 01-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Explorer
jbaerbock is on a distinguished road

Like you I take one of those 'one a day' type multivitamins to try and fill in any gaps I may have. I make sure it's not a massive dose of anything though.
� #3
Old 01-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Lecturer
pinballdoctor is on a distinguished road

Most multivitamins are useless for several reasons. First, they are made up with synthetic ingredients, contain artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, use elemental minerals, and contain amounts that are too small to be effective. Also, they contain lubricants such as magnesium sterate to help prevent their machines from clogging up. These "lubricants" coat the intestines and prevent nutrients from being absorbed.

Finally, most multivitamins, even the "good" ones, contain only a fraction of the 60 plus minerals and trace elements that we need, thus creating a false belief that we are getting all the nutrients that we need from the multi.

The only real solution is to take a product such as the "mighty ninety", then whatever nutrition you get from the food you eat is just a bonus, and taking a multi is no longer necessary.
� #4
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Observer
PureRight is on a distinguished road

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-fake-herbals/
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.