Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

� #1
Old 01-11-2015, 03:06 AM
Guide
Living Food will become famous soon enough
Default Juicing - who does it?

Does anyone here juice on a regular basis? If so, how often do you juice and what do you juice?

Juicing certain foods is one of the most powerful ways to improve your health imo, so it will be interesting to hear what people have to say about it.
� #2
Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Observer
enorita is on a distinguished road

I have not really juiced any food but I have juiced several fruits together and I don't know if that can count as juicing several foods.
� #3
Old 01-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Reader
larryz will become famous soon enough

I juice regularly, almost daily but not often as I want. Apples, carrots, romaine lettuce, grapes, oranges occasionally.

Organic juicing is mostly what makes Gerson Therapy so successful. Highly recommended that you at least give it an honest try. Check out www.gerson.org for more information.
� #4
Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Guide

Juicing mostly fruit is not ideal imo because the lack of fiber will likely cause a huge blood sugar spike. It is far better to make vegetables the main focus of your juice, with fruit as a flavor enhancer if you desire.

Quote:
I juice regularly, almost daily
That's great!

Quote:
Apples, carrots, romaine lettuce, grapes, oranges occasionally.
Lots of fruits listed there, what about veggies? I see the romaine lettuce, but what about the dark greens?

larryz: have you started the sprouting yet? I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
� #5
Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 AM
Observer
james007 is on a distinguished road

Yes love it. So easy to do as I bought a breville blend active (its amazing).

Favourite recipe:

Purechimp super tea 1/2 Tsp
Handful spinach
Almond milk 1 cup
Agave nectar 1tsp
Half a banana
Handful of strawberries

Yummy!
� #6
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Guide

James007: I believe you're referring to a blender. Blending has it's own benefits, but it is not the same thing as juicing.

But I'm glad you're enjoying your blender!
� #7
Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Reader
larryz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Food View Post

larryz: have you started the sprouting yet? I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Thanks for asking. I have the spouting books, have received the Azure Standard catalog, I'm just not sure yet about the setup. Any advice here (or by PM) would be great. No pressure though. Thanks!!!
� #8
Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Guide

Blending vs juicing (very simple talk)

Blending
The nice thing about blending is that you can blend low water content foods that you would never be able to juice. Blending is also considerably quicker and can be much easier to clean up afterwards than some juicers. The drawbacks are that blending oxidizes food alot more and seems to interfere with the energetic quality of the food. But if you don't have the time to sit down and chew your food very thoroughly, you should blend it. Just make sure to still chew and swish the blended food around in your mouth for optimum digestion.

Juicing
Juicers only work with foods with a high water content, aka fruits and vegetables. The juice they create has no fiber, which has both advantages and disadvantages. The nutrients are absorbed many times better without the fiber, but if you are juicing a lot of fruit than the lack of fiber becomes a detriment and it is like drinking sugar water. The main advantage of juicing is that is saves your body huge amounts of energy that would otherwise have to be spent on digesting all of the fiber in the food, which is why juicing is ideal for cleansing and fasting.

I mentioned that blending oxidizes the food a lot more than juicing, but juice also oxidizes much faster than blended food. Sound confusing? It works like this: when you blend a food, the act of blending itself will significantly oxidize the food, and after that the blended food will continue to oxidize at a moderate rate as time goes on. When you juice a food with a good masticating juicer, the act of juicing will hardly oxidize the food at all. However, since the juice has no fiber, the juice will oxidize very very rapidly after it has been made. The moral of the story is that juice should be drank immediately after being made, and although it's still best to drink blended food immediately, you have a little more leeway than with juiced food.

You get far more benefits out of vegetables if they are juiced than blended, but it is better to blend fruits than juice large amounts of them.
� #9
Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Guide

Quote:
I'm just not sure yet about the setup. Any advice here (or by PM) would be great. No pressure though. Thanks!!!
I will certainly help you with the setup, but I have a few questions first so I can better understand your needs.

What sort of sprouting are you thinking of doing? Mainly microgreens, mainly jar sprouts, only greens, or seed/legume/grain sprouts too? What sort of space do you have to work with, and would you be sprouting mainly indoors or outdoors? How much sprouts/sprout juice are you looking to consume?
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.