Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Women's Health

� #1
Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough
Default Does just-in-case mastectomy increase survival?

Angelina Jolie won plaudits around the world when she announced in May that she�d had a pre-emptive double mastectomy once doctors told her she had a whopping 87 percent risk of developing breast cancer and a 50 percent chance of developing ovarian cancer. Jolie, who regularly leverages her fame for public good, said she chose to share her story in the hope that other women who may be living under the shadow of cancer �will be able to get gene-tested� and know about their �strong options� in the event they�ve been dealt some unlucky genetic cards. While Jolie�s decision to tell the truth about her situation was brave and extraordinarily well intentioned, how much of the truth was she told about her condition? Is her genetic history indeed an automatic death sentence? Here�s what doctors may not have told her. Most breast cancer develops in women without a family history of the disease. The vast majority of women who get cancer (eight out of every nine) don�t have a family history of the disease�and even with a family history, most women will never develop cancer. Four out of five women who have a mother and a sister with breast cancer will never develop the disease, and 12 out of 13 will not die from it. The danger increases with the number of close relatives who have the disease, but the risk may prove to be far less than that described to Jolie. For women who have one close relative with breast cancer, the lifetime risk is 8 percent, which increases to just 13.3 percent for those like Angelina Jolie, with two close relatives who had the disease. There is no solid evidence that just-in-case double mastectomies increase survival.

https://theoptimist.com/gene-genie/#!t6R4o

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
� #2
Old 02-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Enlightener
ozzie will become famous soon enoughozzie will become famous soon enough

I dont know,but I would not have it done even though my mother died from breast cancer.
� #3
Old 02-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Lecturer
knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure it is not done lightly but it is a very drastic response to something that should be approached holistically.

To my mind the genetic link is overplayed. Changing diet and lifestyle can significantly reduce the risk of getting not just breast cancer, but any form of cancer.

They can do amazing things these days with reconstruction. (Benefit of knowledge acquired and skills honed by years of cosmetic breast augmentation and medical breast reduction.) But that does not justify mastectomy. Unless it's a life or death situation, I don't think anything does.

Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever or whatever is the victim.
Everything is worthy of kindness.

https://holy-lance.blogspot.com
� #4
Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 AM
Guide
d0ug will become famous soon enoughd0ug will become famous soon enough

People put too much faith in genetics and scientific out comes. The fact is we have a 100% chance of dieing but I would not think of killing myself or paying some one else to do it.
� #5
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Observing cool stuff
happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough

FEAR based medicine.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.