Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

� #1
Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Observer
Pandora is on a distinguished road
Default SSRI withdrawal

I've been on various ssri's throughout the years and have recently come off them completely. I was on seroxat for many years but the heavy weight gain was just not worth it, and it was impossible to get off. I had to be prescribed Valium just to get myself off it. I then went on Prozac which just made my anxiety worse, so I switch to Citalopram which didn't really do anything at all. I did a slow taper of citalopram and didn't really encounter many difficulties until this week, when the last bit of 3mgs went into me. The withdrawal isn't dangerous physically, otherwise I'd see the doc, but I'm still getting quite intense headaches, slight nausea and the famous 'brain zaps' that every seems to get. I can handle all these things, what I can't handle is the terrible depression I've been feeling. My mood swings ar all over the place and I'm crying left, right and centre and having a very vivid nightmares. I know this is withdrawal rather than a return to what I was feeling before going on meds as my doctor would probably suggest. I just want to know how long will these withdrawal symtoms go on for? It's been about 8 days now.
� #2
Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice

I don't have any experience with these drugs, but I commend you for wanting to get off of them safely. This article seems to suggest the withdrawal period may be approximately two weeks...https://psychcentral.com/lib/ssri-dis...ndrome/0005734
� #3
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Observer
Pandora is on a distinguished road

Thanks K2C, it's been about that now but still getting it. I was on them for a very long time so maybe it could be a bit more for me.