Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Alternative Therapies

� #1
Old 12-05-2013, 12:59 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough
Default Camphor for sinuses

My new general practitioner gave me a formula for my sinusitis and other sinus problems. He did this because I have such frequent sinus infections in the past 7 years. One of the ingredients is a prescription corticosteriod, called betamethasone. I'm not sure it is required, but I'm ignoring that it is a pharmaceutical and it is such small amount. I'm using it for now. It could probably be left out for long term use of the formula. After all, camphor is already an anti-inflammatory.

He wants me to use metholatum, because it contains 9% camphor, but I am unable to find a family size jar. I am instead using Vics Vaporub, which contains 4.5% camphor.

I'll tell you about camphor, in a moment. Here is the formula.

Remove about 1 teaspoon from the Mentolatum jar, so the other contents won't be too much for the jar.

Add 1 tsp Betamethasone valerate cream 1% to the family size jar of mentholatum.
Add 1/2 tsp Campho-Phenique to the jar (I add 1 tsp instead, since the Vics is less strength of camphor).
Mix well.

There. Just 3 ingredients.

For nasal swelling due to allergies or allergic rhinitis / sinusitis, plase salve-covered cotton swab (que-tip) into each nostril each night. This can be followed by an OTC nasal spray such as Afrin (listen up Limitme). Apparently the formula will not allow the nasal spray to rebound. Something to do with the cilia movement being freed.

Now for the camphor benefit.

Properties: Analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, bactericidal, diuretic, expectorant, rubefacient, stimulant, sudorific, vermifuge, vulnerary.

The fragrant camphor tree (Cinnamomum camphora) and its products, such as camphor oil, have been coveted since ancient times. Having a rich history of traditional use, it was particularly used as a fumigant during the era of the Black Death and considered as a valuable ingredient in both perfume and embalming fluid.

Camphor, traditionally obtained through the distillation of the wood of the camphor tree, is a major essential oil component of many aromatic plant species, as it is biosynthetically synthesised; it can also be chemically synthesised using mainly turpentine as a starting material. Camphor exhibits a number of biological properties such as insecticidal, antimicrobial, antiviral, anticoccidial, anti-nociceptive, anticancer and antitussive activities, in addition to its use as a skin penetration enhancer.

Too much camphor can be toxic, but a nasal swab is not too much.

Camphor also acts as an expectorant and a febrifuge, meaning that it cools fevers and helps clear lung congestion. Camphor is a very useful ingredient in inhalations for coughs, colds and difficulties in breathing. These actions, along with camphor's anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties make it a very useful and popular remedy for colds, flu, and bronchitis.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde