Excitatory neurotoxins (excitotoxins) like MSG, aspartame, etc. If she's eating the standard junk food diet she's bound to be eating lots of excitotoxins everyday.
Even if the seizures aren't because of excitotoxins, it is still very important that she stops eating any food that has them because they cause lasting brain damage, and children are much more vulnerable then adults.
Listen to this lecture and tell me if this is something a child should be consuming:
Dr. Russell L. Blaylock -- Excitotoxins [MSG, Aspartame]
Here are the notes I took if you're pressed for time (I still recommend watching the whole thing though):
1:30 - 2:10 = talks about putting MSG in a [brain] cell culture and they all die after 1 hour although they look fine up until they're dead.
MSG goes through the blood-brain barrier.
About 34:50 = glutamate is the most common neurotransmitter in the brain, it carries information from one brain cell to another.
35:30 - 37:15 = glutamate opens a tiny pore in brain cells, a pore that lets calcium in. Glutamate is only in levels of 10-12 millionths of a mole outside the cell BY NECESSITY. When the cell needs to send an impulse, glutamate attaches to its receptor in the cell and opens the hole for calcium to enter the cell, this whole process lasts only for a millionth of a second or so before the glutamate is removed and the pore closes.
37:15 - 38:34 = If there's too much glutamate, the pore/hole stays open for too long and too much calcium comes in, creating too intense a reaction. It leads to inflammation (releases inflammatory chemicals), the production of free radicals and the radicals greatly damage the mitochondria. When the mitochondria dies, it activates the gene called the "P53" gene which is called the "suicide gene". The cell then kills itself, a process called apoptosis.
38:34 - 30:50 = the excess calcium can also inhibit the transport protein that is supposed to remove the glutamate, leading to a cyclic process that keeps going until the cell dies.
39:10 - 39:30 = Humans are five times as sensitive to excitotoxins then the next most sensitive life form on Earth which is the mouse. 20 times more sensitive then Rhesus monkeys [were the MSG safety test done on rhesus monkeys?] and newborns are 4 times more sensitive then adults.
39:30 - 39:45 = if you're pregnant MSG passes through the placenta and damages the baby's brain.
39:49 - 40:10 = babies are more sensitive because a) they don't have the brain enzymes to protect themselves yet, b) their blood-brain barriers aren't completely formed yet, and c) they frequently become hypoglycemic, which magnifies excitotoxicity.
40:12 - 40:52 = Excitotoxins can alter how the brain forms for babies and little children - during the last trimester of pregnancy and the first 4 years after birth is when most of the brain is forming. All the pathways are forming, all the dendrites are growing, etc, and they all have to connect in certain ways. That process is "very sensitive to glutamate." Too much destroys the connections or makes them grow in the wrong direction.
40:52 - 41:10 = "We know they can they [excitotoxins] can destroy certain groups or connections of these brain cells called nuclei", including the arcuate nucleus, the ventromedial nucleus, and other hypothalamic nuclei. "This nucleus is the most sensitive area of the entire brain."
41:30 - 41:58 = Also stimulate lipid peroxidation [as well as free radical production, or more likely because of it?], can ALTER PHYSIOLOGY in subtoxic doses (doses that won't kill a cell). If a cell produces hormones, it will be overstimulated and produce too many hormones; if it has to do with consciousness, it may cloud your consciousness; "if it affects memory and it's overstimulated, it might alter your ability to remember".
41:58 - 42:13 = One of the ways excitotoxins kill is by producing free radicals...they are very powerful free radical generators.
42:13 - 42:37 = Glutamate impairs the ability of glucose to enter the brain.
42:37 - 45:45 = "MSG babies" (animals):
*organ weights very small, causes atrophy of various organs (ovaries, testes, kidney, adrenal glands, spleen, pituitary all significantly smaller then normal).
* Animals all grossly obese, almost impossible to "diet off" or "exercise it off", because it alters the part of the brain that has to do with obesity.
* Abnormal reproduction functions very common; when they become adults, they have very small litters and this is true even for the males - they become infertile or have difficulty procreating.
* Frequently associated with unprovoked rage, overt aggression and antisocial behavior. Almost always present in these animals, and it lasts for their entire lifetime even if they were just exposed to it as babies.
* Impaired cardiovascular responsiveness.
* High triglycerides, cholesterol and VLDL - very low density lipoproteins. This persists for their lifetime. Puts them at high risk of heart attack and stroke, and arteriosclerosis.
* Abnormal hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis (permanently alters how the endocrine system functions).
^ Reproducible in EVERY animal species the experiments have been tried on - chicken, horses, sheep, etc.
About 45:45 to 47:00 or so - during brain development glutamate is used as part of the [building?] process, too much messes up the connections of the brain permanently.
47:00 to 48:00 - Temporal lobe is a very important region of the brain, and one of the most vulnerable to both glutamate and a lack of glucose (both symptoms of MSG).
48:10 to - 50:4: Endocrine Effects of Exposure to MSG in Neonates:
* Alters estrogen secretion, alters estrogen receptors in the hypothalamus which controls your estrogen cycle, altered testosterone for the males. So not only altered the nuclei that control the secretion of these hormones, but also altered the pathways in the hypothalamus that made up the control system. So when the animals got older, their control system was drastically different then normal...and this is what's happening in humans.
* Altered levels of hormones may cause infertility, problems with menstrual cycles, polycysstic ovaries, lots of other hormone-related problems.
* Lower doses can cause early puberty.
* Loss of growth hormone pulsation...that's why all these animals were short, because it altered the pulsating release of growth hormone.
* And again, can cause faulty development of hypothalamic pathways and altered endocrine control.
52:48 to 53:25 - MSG causes suppression of the immune system for the entire life time of the animal, possibly due to it's role in damaging the hypothalamus, because the hypothalamus controls immunity.
53:50 to 56:10 - Excitotoxins in Food and Intellectual Development
* Animal babies exposed to MSG are intellectually impaired, in one experiment in 1987 the researcher said the animals seemed to be "intellectually retarded".
* 1989 experiment, pregnant animals were exposed to MSG and their offspring were tested. The offspring initially looked completely normal, passed with flying colors when the researchers did a "simple little test for intellectual function they passed with flying colors". But when tested for more complex though, the animals were severely impaired. The offspring had an 80% reduction in levels of acetylcholine in the frontal lobes of the brain. Acetylcholine is "absolutely vital for learning and memory" Also a reduction in levels of norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter that lets you pay attention and concentrate.
* From 1950 to 1969,MSG was added to baby foods in a dose of 600 mg to 800 mg per 4.5 oz jar - the dose found toxic to animals.
After that I was interrupted and never did get around to finishing the lecture, but it's very informative and very important information. Another silent killer is GMOs, which your sister's grandchild should stay away from as well. They have been shown to do everything from lower immunity to cause cancer.