Why Are American Health Care Costs So High?

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
Similarly...One of the major oil companies was asked why gasoline prices were so high. The oil company, ExxonMobile, had recorded a 9 billion dollar profit (not revenue) in one quarter. This is normal for the large oil companies. That's 3 billion per month. And the USA congress gives a "research" subsidy to the oil companies. Yes. No kidding. That's our tax money.

So what was the response to why the gas prices are so high? "Because people will pay for it."

So, what's our alternative? Don't pay?

I think the rational is that Americans don't shop around. We won't drive to another station, if the price is 10 cents less. We have our favorite gas station. Perhaps it is on our way to work or something.

d0ug

Possible fix. There is no law that says a doctor has to cure you if a cure is available.
If such a law came about and enforced the doctors would start putting themselves out of business and prices would fall.
The way it is now it is for profit business the longer your doctor can keep you his patient the more money he/she will make.
For example if the doctor treated type two diabetes with chromium and vanadium. He might see the patient one or two times but use conventional treatment he has a patient for life and also the complications that come with it.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
In other words, that much is lost on things that do not benefit individuals, such as unnecessary methods, administrative overhead and fraud.

Yep.

If the individual was paying the bill, they would look it over to see whether they really received what the paid for.

RaulCruz

Well, Insurance plan is often neglected in routine health checkups and as such is not given its due importance. People suffer from bad oral hygiene as they figure out that routine visits to a dentist will be extremely expensive. So if the insurance plan is available in affordable rate than anyone can show their interest.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Possible fix. There is no law that says a doctor has to cure you if a cure is available.
If such a law came about and enforced the doctors would start putting themselves out of business and prices would fall.
The way it is now it is for profit business the longer your doctor can keep you his patient the more money he/she will make.
For example if the doctor treated type two diabetes with chromium and vanadium. He might see the patient one or two times but use conventional treatment he has a patient for life and also the complications that come with it.

I hear in Peru that docs get paid on success rates and not the number of patients

greif

I thought they were doing us a favor by taking that evil money away from us so we are not corrupted by it... ha ha

d0ug

Health care is expensive because they don't cure disease. The most expensive medicine is one that does not work.

Do-it-naturally

Any time an industry like Health Insurance has no barriers to entry there is an increased chance for higher rates.

With Obamacare, no one can be rejected. This means clients with chronic expensive illness are on the program, which puts a strain on assets. The higher income, none users will bear the brunt of the costs to offset the expenses.

bulrush

So, what's our alternative? Don't pay?
This is why I'm looking into alternative medicine. There are more studies supporting alt medicine now than there were in the 1980s.

Researchers noted that eight of the 10 most commonly used drugs in the United States are for hypertension, heart failure, diabetes and other elements of the “cardiometabolic syndrome.”
These are all inflammatory illnesses, caused in part by poor food choices, and in part by poisons in the food (Roundup and Bt).

Inflammatory illness increases with GMO exposure over time. An interesting writeup. And this article even has a graph of GMOs grown in the US vs certain inflammatory illnesses. Just read the HHS Chronic Conditions Chartbook for 2012. (It's a PDF.)

I was trying to find rates of high blood pressure over time but could not find that. I did find some other stuff instead. If you can find the HBP rates for the past 10 years or more, please PM me with a link. Thanks!

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
Sorry, I can't agree with you. This might be true for a few purposes and it's I think not only for expensive health care.
I think d0ug means that they cure symptoms but not diseases. Curing symptoms will only keep the patient looking for more help and more drugs. Take statins, for example. Why can't they find the inflammation problem which causes cholesterol build up, instead of continuing to cure the symptom.

Ajax

My doctor used to charge $25 for visit and routine exam. A year later, $75. A year later, $150. It was $175 last time I checked. His costs didn't go up, only his prices did. If doctors in the area charge $175 per visit, what is the incentive for a doctor to charge any less? As long as a doctor has a steady flow of patients, and patients are still locked into the idea that you choose a doctor for life, there is no reason for prices not to continue to be exorbitant.

d0ug

The most expensive health care in the world and the US is a way down the list of healthy people.
It is the first or third cause of death in the US the medical system. 85% of bankruptcies are due to medical costs. The medical system is a big failure.