white, black, brown, Red Rice and Turmeric

jbo

Has anybody try Red rice before? Seems like there are a lot of health benefits to it, but not sure if it's any good?

I was eating brown rice, but switched over to black rice recently. I'm starting to think I should probably make a mix of black and brown rice, because the black rice I'm noticing can be cooked in twenty minutes and it appears that a lot of the hull/bran is removed from the black rice I buy, which the removal of the hull is what makes white rice worse. I like the antioxidant benefits of black rice, but I'm thinking if it only takes 20 minutes to cooks the black rice I'm making that the hull is being removed and it's not as healthy. So maybe half black and half brown?

I'm also trying to make rice without adding any salt and I'm also trying to get more Turmeric. I keep reading that we should try and get it everyday and Dr. Weil has some info on his website

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02833/turmeric-tea
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03001/Three-Reasons-to-Eat-Turmeric.html

So far I've been using lemon juice with curry powder that includes turmeric, but started adding extra turmeric and mixing it all together. I'm really impressed with it, but not sure if there are any other healthy recommendations.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
All rice is high glycemic, so moderate intake accordingly. Isn't 'wild' rice actually bamboo seed, and distinctly different than rice?

jbo

Original Poster
All rice is high glycemic, so moderate intake accordingly. Isn't 'wild' rice actually bamboo seed, and distinctly different than rice?
yeah, it's 55 on the glycemic index, but that is not high, it's classified as medium. 50 and lower is classified as low, so it's close to being low, but it's by no means high. The half banana I eat everyday at 51.

We're also talking about two different things, because I'm talking about Oryza sativa or what we just call rice, which is not related to wild rice. Wild rice has been growing in North America that the native Americans would eat it.

Black rice, brown rice and white rice aren't wild rice. I've seen wild rice that's dark and looks black in color before, so it might be why your getting confused between black rice and wild rice.

jbo

Original Poster
Actually really like mustard, just don't have a reason to take it everyday. I'm trying to get things from food first and pills second. I would drink it as a tea, but I drink so much tea as it is that I'll end up living in a bathroom :)

I eat a small portion of rice for dinner almost everyday.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Interesting info on glycemic index index for rice, thank you.

Not sure about mustard as a suppliment, i don't take it, but i understand it's a bit like turmeric, which I do use for cooking.

Wild rice grains come from a different species of grass than white (and brown) rice. Though closely related to the rice plant, wild rice actually comes from a long-grain marsh grass native to the Great Lakes region of North America