What kind of iodine?

qx4

As I get all my supplements from vitacost, I tried to order lugol from them but they don't offer it. So I bought Atomidine by Heritage Products.
Is this something you guys are aware of, I mean this product?
I am concerned about ingesting synthetic stuff, but when I tried kelp powder I got jitters, rapid heart beat, etc. Probably I got too much, I don't know, but I remember taking no more than a teaspoon in water.
What about eating seafood, isn't this a great way to get iodine? I know about mercury dangers, but still... I read that even going for a swim in the ocean, where you invariably will ingest some water, is a good way of getting iodine.
I am new here, found this forum yesterday, but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people.
Thank you.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
As I get all my supplements from vitacost, I tried to order lugol from them but they don't offer it. So I bought Atomidine by Heritage Products.
Is this something you guys are aware of, I mean this product?
I am new here, found this forum yesterday, but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people.
Thank you.
Hi qX4, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I'm not using Iodine yet, but I get mine so far from iodized sea salt and seafood. Edgar Cayce recommended Atomidine years ago:

ATOMIDINE
Atomidine is a commercial product which is sold as an antiseptic for cuts, sores, infections, insect bites, and skin rashes. However, Atomidine is also often taken internally in minute doses as recommended by Edgar Cayce as a glandular stimulant and purifier. Atomidine contains 1% iodine trichloride and other unlisted ingredients.​

Edgar Cayce stated that Atomidine "will increase the flow of secretions or activities in the glands of the system (as related to the ductless) ..." [411-1] It is used for treating a wide variety of conditions related to glandular dysfunction.
Since Atomidine contains iodine, when taken internally, it can over-stimulate the thyroid gland and heart. Edgar Cayce recommended that Atomidine be taken under the supervision of a physician.

Typically, Atomidine is taken in cycles which vary greatly depending upon the needs of each individual. A typical cycle may involve taking Atomidine for five days and then resting for five days. Here are some basic instructions for taking Atomidine: Take Atomidine in a cycle of 1 2 3 2 1 drops per day for 5 days, off 5 days, and 1 2 3 2 1 drops per day for 5 days. Do this once per month (that is, when the cycle is done, wait 2 weeks and begin again). [1 2 3 2 1 means 1 drop the first day, 2 drops the second day, 3 drops the third day, 2 drops the fourth day, and 1 drop the fifth day - in half a glass of water, before breakfast.] CAUTION: Atomidine should only be taken under the supervision of a physician. Some individuals may experience increased anxiety and/or cardiovascular functioning as a result of taking Atomidine.

EarlyBird

Iodine

I take Detoxified Iodine from Global Light Network.
Website is https://www.globallight.net 12 to 15 drops daily for 5 days, then skip a day.
I have found that trying to get the amount of Iodine that I need would be impossible to get just from seafood, kelp or Iodized salt of any kind.
I think you need to find out what your Tsh numbers are, then go from there. Your Dr can
authorize the blood test for you. Each person is different as to their requirements.

Ted_Hutchinson

I've been using

Kelp

IOSOL

WAB666 is a $5 discount code for Iherb. I find that Iherb prices are about the same as vitacost but the shipping to the UK is slightly cheaper. I've also found Iherb to be more reliable but maybe that's just luck. Spreading your IHERB rewards code around certainly means you then get additional discounts and so that makes IHERB overall the cheapest option.

and Iodised salt. (I live in the UK and the only supermarket near me that sells iodized salt is LIDL.

jw8725

I've been using

Kelp

IOSOL

WAB666 is a $5 discount code for Iherb. I find that Iherb prices are about the same as vitacost but the shipping to the UK is slightly cheaper. I've also found Iherb to be more reliable but maybe that's just luck. Spreading your IHERB rewards code around certainly means you then get additional discounts and so that makes IHERB overall the cheapest option.

and Iodised salt. (I live in the UK and the only supermarket near me that sells iodized salt is LIDL.
Ted just out of interest mate, what's your full supplementational protocol at the moment? Also I think we can just give up on the sun, its been pants so far up here in Yorkshire. So much for getting some natural D3 huh?

tsteimel

I have been taking Iodoral, which is a tablet form of Lugol's Iodine, for months and am very happy with the results. I purchased it on the internet via amazon.com, but then discovered that my new primary care physician, an M.D. and Naturopath, carries it on the shelf in his office. You may want to consider Dr. Brownstein's book entitled, 'Iodine - Why You Need It & Why You Can't Live Without It' as well as taking the Iodine Loading Test to determine the exact dosage you need. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid two years ago, and found that I needed supplemental iodine as much or more than I needed the thyroid medication. (I take Armour Thyroid - the natural form.) Anyway, hope this helps . . .

pinballdoctor

Unless you are from Japan and eat alot of sea weed, sea veggies, etc., you aren't getting enough iodine for maximum benefit. The average Japanese woman gets between 10mg and 15 mg of iodine daily. This is more than 100 times the amount injested by American women. That is why they have very little breast cancer and American women are dying from breast cancer at an incredible rate.

You can purchase Lugols iodine from the internet. I got my last batch from ebay for cheap. True Lugols is 5% iodine and 10% potassium iodide, however, the iodine that I got from ebay was half strength. It is 2.5% iodine and 5% potassium iodide, which means you must take twice as much to get the maximum benefit. In other words, instead of taking 10 drops per day, you take 20.

The body requires both forms of iodine, thats why I recommend Lugols.

Robk

Swims in the ocean and eating seafood wont give most people the benefit of the iodine they might really need, taking into account the mass deficiencies...

although some people are super sensitive and even what you mentioned from kelp is often considered to be a detox reaction...that is one of the great benefits of iodine.

In any case or any product, go slow if you are trying to work you way up, if detox reaction, take a look at supporting that as well