what is the difference?

ozzie

What is the difference between Metumucil, and phsylium husk?
the only difference is the price, metumucil is flavoured and therefore more expensive,whereas physlium husk is natural, they both do exactly the same thing.
I use phsylium on my oats in the morning,just a desert spoon full,it helps to keep cholesterol down and also helps if you suffer with constipation,also good for ridding toxins out of your body.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I don't think there's any difference, I use the generic Walmart brand of Metamucil, and I've used just Psyllium Husk powder in the past. The Metamucil has sugar (artificial or real) and flavoring, I just prefer to make a glass of that and follow it with an equal glass or two of water.

It does have a lot of benefits other than softening the stool for easy passage, I heard it was also good for weight loss and the cholesterol benefits you mentioned.

jfh

perpetual student
I like Psyllium Husk too. I've used Metamucil, but prefer to find other brands. In USA, we have Dollar General stores. Very small and cheap stores with a lot of brand x products. I've found some there that's cheaper than Walmart or CVS pharmacy. The point is that psyllium husk is what matters, and it doesn't matter the brand. The only way I can use it is by putting a heaping dinner teaspoon of it in a small glass of water and drink quickly, followed by a larger amount of water. I don't like for it to thicken. Let it thicken in my stomach.

There are also brands of "clear" fiber. Mostly byproducts of corn. Turns invisible in water, coffee or other liquid. No taste. Benefiber is one brand. It only adds a little fiber to the diet though.

Wouldn't it be wonderful, if we could just get enough fiber in our diet? Not going to happen. But I use fiber for more than cholesterol. I need it for bowel movement. Cleaning the lining of the intestines.

ozzie

Original Poster
We can buy Psyllium husks at the supermarket in bulk about $14 au a kilo