* Chlorella
* Dulse
* Bladderwrack
* Lentil sprouts
* Millet sprouts
* Sesame seed sprouts
* Alfalfa sprouts

clairebear83

I got free veg (no longer good for sale but still ok) from the shop which was an unexpected treat, and a big bag of coriander. So this made me think to try and make a clear noodle soup with coriander, similar to what I was eating a lot of in Laos and south east asia generally.

Gave it a go (never actually made any kind of soup before) and it was pretty good!

Ingredients:
Chicken, beef and veg stock cubes (ok so I cheated a bit here!)
Yellow Pepper
Mushrooms
Carrot
Sweetcorn
Coriander
Garlic
Chilli powder
noodles

= yum and healthy!

Living Food

Original Poster
I'm trying not to get too off topic here, but...some of the foods people listed are just plain horrible for your health. MSG, trans fats, and lots of other nasties. And nearly all restaurant food is loaded with harmful chemicals.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I'll (gladly) elaborate if you want me to.

Living Food

Original Poster

Someone posted that they wanted me to elaborate, even though that post has since disappeared. So here goes:

Monosodium glutamate is an excitotoxin (kills nerve cells) and responsible for many degenerative diseases. MSG doesn't even have to be listed on food labels, it hides behind all kinds of names like "spices", "soy protein", etc. This link gives a partial list of ingredients that contain MSG.

Dr. Russell Blaylock (a retired neurosurgeon) talks about the dangers of MSG and aspartame, another excitotoxin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEh3_JBDErw

He also wrote a brilliant book called "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills" on the subject.

A small sampling of the damage caused by MSG:

* it damages the immune system for the lifetime of a person (nothing can repair the damage done to the parts effected), so it makes them more prone to cancer and other immune diseases.
* MSG is a powerful free radical generator.
* MSG also impairs glucose entry into the brain (the brain is almost entirely dependent on glucose), so the brain can’t run properly because it doesn't get the fuel. When the brain is starved of the fuel it needs it becomes 100 times more prone to the effects of MSG. WOW!!!
* MSG will permanently damage the brain connections.
* MSG also causes massive hormone problems, so infertility is highly possible. Even if a baby's mother ate MSG , their child can have trouble having babies when they grow up.
* MSG can also bring on puberty early. (And according to the China study, early puberty is a big factor in developing breast cancer)
* MSG can also cause lack of growth hormone, so people can be short.
* Unborn babies are four times more sensitive to MSG
* MSG can also cause diabetes and cardiovascular damage
* MSG's effects aren't often noticed straight away, it is the effects 40 years later that really do the damage, like heart attacks at 40 or severe mental problems
* MSG can make people have severe learning problems so they find it hard to learn things

MSG effects on animals:

* If you give MSG to animals it will suppress the immune system for life.
*Very very small organ weights
*Obesity and difficult to control…even exercise won’t help lose the weight in most cases because it alters part of the brain which helps stop obesity.
*Abnormal reproductive ability (small litters and infertility)
*Unprovoked rage and aggression and anti social behavior.
*Impaired cardivascular responsiveness (eg, when you run your heart speeds up too much)
* High cholesterol and triglycarides…so increased chance of heart attack or stroke
* MSG will suppress an animal's immune system for the rest of their life

Foods people listed that contain MSG: The restaurant food, the mince, possibly the bread, the chicken corn soup, the chicken curry, the chicken, beef and vegetable stock cubes, possibly some of the spices. If the foods were organic they might not have any but they still might.

Trans fats: Can lead to strokes, heart disease, diabetes, neurological damage, cancer, and many other problems. They cause massive inflammation in the body, which is a major contributor of every health problem.

Foods with trans fats: Margarine is almost entirely trans fats (NEVER eat margarine), nearly every food I listed for MSG could have trans fats. Most processed foods do.

Other problems I noticed: refined grains, GMOs, foods made with tap water. And virtually no nutrients in any of the listed foods.

Roughly 75% of all processed foods have GM ingredients, and that number becomes much larger if you ignore organic processed foods. So everything I listed for MSG has GM ingredients, as well as the corn. GMOs kill.

-------
While I'm on the subject:

Never ever drink soda, and NEVER drink diet soda. Soda is one of the leading causes of osteoporosis, normal soda is full of refined sugar and "diet" soda has aspartame (diet soda actually makes you much fatter then normal soda), it's made with tap water, and it's extremely acid-forming in the body.

Also never drink pasteurized, homogenized milk - paradoxically it's also one of the leading causes of osteoporosis, it's acidic and mucus-forming, it's loaded with antibiotics and pesticide residue + other man-made toxins (they concentrate the higher up you go in the food chain, so animal foods have far more then produce), you can't absorb the calcium anyway [pasteurization destroys the enzymes required to assimilate it, especially phosphatase], the homogenization makes it as deadly as trans fats, ad when drunk with just about any other food, especially fruit and grains, it causes that food to ferment and mess with your digestion. Even though many diary products no longer have artificial hormones, they still have "natural" hormones added that are still very bad for our health.

Other diary products are even worse because they just have even ore chemicals added to them, especially cheese. American cheese in particular is more harmful chemicals then anything else. Butter is frequently dyed yellow and it is so concentrated (it takes 2 to 3 gallons of milk to make one pound of butter) that it has extremely high levels of harmful chemicals like pesticides, PCBs, etc.

Most meat is full of antibiotics, hormones, pesticides and other chemicals. There are other problems with meat consumption too.

There's tons of information out there on everything I mentioned (I especially encourage people to read up on GMOs), and a lot of other things that I didn't mention - this is just a starting point. Even if you don't want to eat like I do, at least avoid as many of these poisons as you can and eat organic, natural, whole food. Also avoid municipal water at all costs, but remember that most bottled waters are no better.

ChrisCarlton67

you would not like my list, then, ,living food. I want to be healthy and try, but it's a tough habit to break when the family cooks for you.

My mother made beef stew, with "gravied" broth. Fatty, but tastes soo good. Home cooked comfort food we call it. I had some of her home made potato salad too. Very tasty. For breakfast, I had a bowl of the fruity pebbles cereal (generic version).

tonight we are having spaghetti. My family is made of of a lot of meat eaters.

However, I would love to eat more fresh greens, but in our area, they are not cheap at all. Very remote area that does not have a long growing season so the time frame to buy local is very short. Prices are jacked up on everything else because of transport costs to get it here.

I may consider starting a group buy program in my area so we can get whole, natural, GMO free, foods at a discount. If anyone can chime in on how to start this... maybe I'll make my own thread on this.

Living Food

Original Poster
Grow your own sprouts; you can grow them year-round and they're dirt cheap, and they're one of the most nutritious foods there is. Put any questions you might have in the How to sprout your own sprouts thread you started, and I'll answer them there.

That applies to anyone reading this.

Living Food

Original Poster
But then in which form, one should consume milk, in case he has no option of having fresh, hygienic milk.
Don't. Even fresh, raw milk from grass-fed cows has many problems, so it's better to avoid it entirely. Raw goat's milk is better but still not ideal. If the best you can get is pasteurized, homogenized milk (even if it is organic), DO NOT drink it.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
I'm trying not to get too off topic here, but...some of the foods people listed are just plain horrible for your health. MSG, trans fats, and lots of other nasties. And nearly all restaurant food is loaded with harmful chemicals.

I was thinking the same thing, my friend. :D

pinballdoctor

Change requires replacement...replacing something bad with something good.

For starters, replace cows milk with almond milk.

Replace margerine with butter.

Replace coffee with tea. (green, white, rooibos [red], herbal)

Replace water with filtered water. (make sure you supplement with all your minerals).

Replace processed/fast food with salads, fruits and veggies.

Replace alcohol with lemonade, resveratrol, curcumin, and astaxanthin.

Replace stress with exercise.

Replace fried eggs with soft scrambled eggs in butter, or poached.

Replace prescription drugs with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and fatty acids.

Replace sugar with stevia.

Replace deep fried foods with baked.

Replace your doctor with knowledge.

Living Food

Original Poster
Yesterday:

* Ryegrass juice
* Pea shoot juice
* Chia grass juice
* Fenugreek sprout juice
* Kelp
* Spirulina
* AFA
* Chlorella
* Sesame seed sprouts
* Broccoli sprouts
* Amaranth sprouts
* Adzuki bean sprouts

Ryegrass:

Pea shoot greens:

Chia grass:

Fenugreek sprouts:

Sesame seed sprouts:

Broccoli sprouts (with pea shoots in the background):

Amaranth sprouts:

Adzuki bean sprouts:

Who can tell me that doesn't look appetizing?

tick

Green Tea, Steamed Chicken with onions, mushrooms, ground beans, tortilla....

Same old same old... That was my breakfast by the way...

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
well - yesterday *Sunday* Breakfast : organic coffee w/halfnhalf and stevia.

Lunch : a kefir smoothie with cocao powder, stevia and berries.

Snack : I invaded my dh's supply of unhealthy cookies - not proud.

Dinner : bbq chicken breast, caulif/sweet potatoes and tea.

majbsb

upon waking, 1 lemon with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar.

Breakfast - 2 bananas and cashew nuts - then off to lectures.

Late lunch - Papaya, plum, strawberries in coconut meat and water with almonds - smoothie.

Dinner - er kind of forgot since I no longer get hunger pangs or remotely feel hungry.

Shall raid the fridge, I have some jackfruit in there with more baby coconuts to smoothie into!