What about soap, body wash, and shampoo?

I'm putting this in the Skin section of the forum, as it's related to the stuff you put on your skin.

So for the past many years I've been using the regular body washes and shampoos and soaps.

Ingredients include: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl, Betaine, Glycerin, Cocamide MEA, Prafum, etc etc.

Clearly, very high quality and healthy toxins. Of course I have no idea what any of this means, but the skin absorbs anything you put on it, and I don't want to be absorbing toxic stuff.

My only move on this topic is to go to a health shop, and buy what they have. We're talking very very few options, because of the country I live in. And I checked in the health store yesterday, and I have to say that even there I saw some ingredients that had questionable names...

On the other hand, maybe I can make my own?

Clearly I want something that cleans well, and smells nice, and contains nothing my body will struggle with.

What do you guys think about this?

Original Poster
This is what I'm talking about:

Though I'm not really interested in nitpicking to figure out which specific chemicals to avoid and which are okay... as far as we know okay.

I like the radical approach. So I'll go as lightweight and as minimalist as possible, and make it easy on myself :)

I still have half a bottle of shampoo and body wash, and a full bottle of shampoo + body wash to use. So I won't be purchasing any of these things just yet, but will slowly research to decide how to proceed and what to buy, or make.

jfh

perpetual student
I do that too. Try to find shampoos and body soaps without Sodium Laureth Sulfate. If they don't have that, I usually don't worry about the rest of the ingredients. Sodium chloride is table salt, so no worries externally for me. Other ingredients are small. But if it doesn't have the sulfate, they have to find some other foaming agent. I have even used solid soap as a shampoo at times.

If you do have a health food shop, ask them if they can find supplements for you. They normally try. My worse food product additive is sodium nitrate, I avoid absolutely. A year ago, I found that Oscar Meyer made one of their hot dogs without it and other preservatives. I asked the local grocer if they could stock that one. Within a week they did that, and it became popular locally. Now of course, Oscar Meyer has removed that highly toxic thing from all their meats, including sliced deli.

Original Poster
I looked around and found some interesting shampoos and soaps I can buy. You know, alcohol free, paraben free, with various natural oils etc. I'll take a deeper look when the time comes. Funny you mention it, I did see a soap advertised as shampoo. But to be honest, I'd rather my soap be solid, and my shampoos and body wash be liquid. I mean, I'm flexible on the body wash, but my shampoo has to be liquid. I hate the idea of rubbing a soap on my head, or trying to rub it all over my hands and then pass it through my hair.

Mhh... anyway, this is all not very important. Liquid, solid, who cares at the end of the day. As long as it's not unhealthy stuff, we are golden :)

I could ask, but, like when I asked if they can get Xylitol in larger package, or when I went to a pharmacy to buy Vitamin C, and I knew exactly which I wanted, and the pharmacy even carried that brand's products (Solgar). But they didn't have the Vitamin C I wanted, and they could not get it for me. So I ordered it from a friend overseas and she sent it to me.

I live in a riduclous country some times, haha. Last night I went out with a girl, and for the first time in forever I happened to not have any of the local currency money, but I did have Euros. So I went around before the date, asked a taxi driver, asked the pizza place, asked a kiosk, and lastly asked at the bar we sat down, if they could change my Euros in the local currency. We're talking a small amout, like let's say $20 bucks. And I told each person they can give me less than the current value, hoping that any of them would click that they can get the Euros from me for X, and then go to the currency/conversion shop tomorrow and change it back, and earn themselves a bit of money.

They all refused me. Ridiculous! I'd have jumped at the offer in a heartbeat. It's easy money, free money. And the guy at the bar even asked the manager, and even he didn't click. Ridiculous! That's why this country is so successful, you see (sarcasm) :p

So I'm not setting a goal to ask anything. If I need something (whatever that may be), and I go look for it, and they don't have it (whoever they may be), I may ask at that moment while I'm hot in my search. But if not, forget about that, I'll look for a sure way of getting it, won't waste a second asking.

And even if I asked, and they got it for me. What happens when they can't get it tomorrow or the store shuts down? No no no, no good. But if I find a way of getting it from a different country, that will never fail. And even if it fails, like the seller stops selling, I'll still have my "method" of getting it, I'll be familarized with ordering and receiving, and all that kinda stuff. It's better, safer, more consistent, no let downs.