What about Mouthwash?

So at the moment I use a regular Listerine mouthwash.

I'm thinking of switching to alcohol-free mouthwash. Some people believe there are negative effects to alcohol in mouthwash (dry mouth, cancer, etc). If you want to know more then google it.

My questions are:

- Do you think an alcohol-free mouthwash is the better choice?

- I have oral thrush (candida/fungus probably). And as far as I know, alcohol feeds candida. I tried googling for candida + listerine and candida + mouthwash, but I didn't really find anything. Do you guys think getting an alcohol-free mouthwash would be better for this?

- I found this video the other day, and she explains which mouthwash to use and when (antimicrobial, anticavity)

I'm thinking of doing what she says (except with alcohol-free mouthwashes). Do you think that's a good move, or do you have a better move you can recommend?

Thanks

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I started having some gum issues in my old age and I was on natural mouthwash for some years. On advice from the dentist I went back to the Listerine, seems like it's most effective in killing bacteria. I heard about the alcohol causing cancer years ago, but not sure if that was proven and I'm not too worried about it at this point in time.

jfh

perpetual student
I was using non alcohol mouthwash for a while and was not satisfied. I went back to Listerine. I'm satisfied with it. It has Thymol. That's important. Thyme is a powerful healing herb.

You could also try Oil Pulling daily. I started with that (using coconut oil), but I was too lazy to continue. That happens to me. I can't keep consistent with anything. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-benefits-of-oil-pulling#section2

Original Poster
I was using non alcohol mouthwash for a while and was not satisfied. I went back to Listerine. I'm satisfied with it. It has Thymol. That's important. Thyme is a powerful healing herb.

You could also try Oil Pulling daily. I started with that (using coconut oil), but I was too lazy to continue. That happens to me. I can't keep consistent with anything. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-benefits-of-oil-pulling#section2
I tried oil pulling about 2 years ago for a while. I don't know, I wouldn't really want to make it a part of my daily or weekly routine. I know myself, and I know what I'm willing to adopt and what I'm not :)

That's not to say that I wouldn't do it if I knew for a fact it would do great big magical things for me. But, you know...

So this morning I bought 2 Listerines, both without alcohol. The girl in the video talks about Antiseptic and Anti-cavity, but unfortunately the I can't find any that clearly state on the bottle "Antiseptic and no alcohol" or "Anti cavity and no alcohol."

So I did the purchase following the Instructions on the bottles. One says to swish for 30 seconds and spit. The other says to swish for 30 seconds and spit, and then try not to eat or drink anything for 30 minutes.

So my morning and nightly routine is to use the first one first as the antiseptic to kill bacteria, and then use the second one to also kill bacteria but also to not rinse or eat anything for about 30 minutes after using it, so that it leaves that coating or whatever on my teeth. That's how I understand it anyway.

Though, one of the mouthwashes I bought - the second one - is a Green Tea one. And I'm not very happy with the taste it leaves in your mouth. So I'll be looking for a different anti-cavity mouthwash that's alcohol free. But for now I'll use these ones until I run out.

Oh I forgot to mention in my opening post. Supposedly the alcohol-containing mouthwashes kill off all bacteria, but the alcohol-free ones only attack the bad bacteria. The alcohol-free ones are not as effective, but ultimately they're better as they don't disturb the good bacteria. It's the same logic as antibiotic pills and natural antibiotics, such as garlic etc. So it makes sense to me as it's a familiar logic, so I'll believe it, at least until evidence to the contrary is presented :)