Warning for Women - Popular Lipsticks May Contain Lead

Harry Hirsute

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Lipsticks tested by a U.S. consumer rights group found that more than half contained lead and some popular brands including Cover Girl, L'Oreal and Christian Dior had more lead than others, the group said on Thursday.

The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics said tests on 33 brand-name red lipsticks by the Bodycote Testing Group in Santa Fe Spring, California, found that 61 percent had detectable lead levels of 0.03 to 0.65 parts per million (ppm).

Lipstick, like candy, is ingested. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, a coalition of public health, environmental and women's groups, said the FDA has not set a limit for lead in lipstick.

One-third of the lipsticks tested contained an amount of lead that exceeded the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's 0.1 ppm limit for lead in candy -- a standard established to protect children from ingesting lead, the group said. Thirty-nine percent of the lipsticks tested had no discernible lead, it said.

"It's critical that manufacturers reformulate their product," said Stacy Malkan, a co-founder of the coalition. "It's possible to make lipsticks without lead, and all companies should be doing that."
https://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN1140964520071012?feedType=nl&feedName=ushealth1100

Harry Hirsute

Original Poster
?

pinballdoctor said:
A very knowledgeable friend of mine suggests that most women eat approx 5 pounds of lipstick each year..
Is your friend suggesting that these women are eating the lipstick as a snack or applying it as a cosmetic?

Xania

LOL - it's really difficult to imagine how much lipstick one would have to use in order to swallow five pounds of it!! :lol:

pinballdoctor

5 pounds sounds like alot, but that works out to about 6 grams per day, and thats including gloss. Now think how many women apply lipstick numerous times per day.
I wonder if that takes into account the fact that chemicals, including lead, can enter the bloodstream through the pores, and raise havoc in the body.

EarlyBird

Lipsticks

Hopefully this only applies to newer lipsticks.
Are these made in China too :?: :lol:

I haven't bought a new one in years :!:
I only wear lipstick when I go out; never around the house.
I gave up trying to impress my mailman - he's married. :lol:

Marcus

A very knowledgeable friend of mine suggests that most women eat approx 5 pounds of lipstick each year..

knowledgeable? I really doubt that. I wear lipstick. I purchase maybe 4 to 5 a year. Even with the cases they come in I doubt they would barley add up to half a pound and the cases make most of the weight.

pinballdoctor

Arrowwind said:

knowledgeable? I really doubt that. I wear lipstick. I purchase maybe 4 to 5 a year. Even with the cases they come in I doubt they would barley add up to half a pound and the cases make most of the weight.
Actually, he said 5 pounds of makeup. I just assumed he meant lipstick because what other makeup could be injested? :D

Here is an interesting article on the subject:
https://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_6013.cfm