Vit D Levels Can and Do Drop After Most Surgeries

jaminhealth

So going into a surgery one would be smart to have good optimal Vit D levels. I was a low 16 in 2006 and got my D up to 80 and felt Great, and then at 72 I had a hip replacement and the D levels dropped over 40 pts...I had read this could happen, that it could drop and boy did it. I felt good after the surgery and had a good recovery BUT in some months I went downhill. Could have been the drop in D for all I know. And all the restructuring of the body, it's been a hard road on his hip job.

I've been working to get back up to 80 and can't seem to get past 50 on the bloodwork results.

Always good to have Optimal Vit D levels regardless.

Vitamin D status may influence risk of complications after non-cardiac surgery

Cardiac surgery is excluded from the surgery types where D drops.

Rosiecont

Regular sun exposure can delay aging, which plays a role in vitamin D. Studies have shown that people with higher levels of vitamin D in the body are about 10 years younger than those with lower vitamin D. 90% of the vitamin D needed by the human body needs to be obtained by sun exposure. The skin produces vitamin D3 by obtaining ultraviolet rays from the sun, and the body converts vitamin D3 into active vitamin D. This type of vitamin helps promote the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, promotes the formation of bones, and vitamin D is thus Known as "sunshine vitamins."

jaminhealth

Original Poster
Yes, to the above, but there comes a time with older folks where the SUN is not tolerated and fears of skin cancers and that's when the supplements are wonderful.

Reactions: jfh