UN, Obama Flog Global-warming Alarmism — As More Scientists Defect

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Former global-warming alarmist and “Gaia Guru” Dr. James Lovelock is once again doing combat with his erstwhile comrades in the “green” movement, dishing out scorn for the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which recently issued its latest dire global-warming predictions. In an interview with The Guardian on March 30 and another with the BBC on April 3, Lovelock, the geophysicist best known as the originator of the Gaia Hypothesis, said environmentalism has “become a religion” for many, and suggested that the IPCC has virtually copied his own exaggerated predictions from eight years ago — views that he has since repudiated.
The 94-year-old author, inventor, and former NASA scientist who is one of the most famous founders of the environmental movement also reiterated his support for natural gas “fracking” and his contempt for advocates of wind and solar energy, which he says will never provide sufficient energy for modern society. He also took swipes at the massive government funding of global-warming research, which has corrupted and politicized the science.
The IPCC’s report, Lovelock told BBC’s Jeremy Paxman, “is very similar to the statements I made in my book about 8 years ago, called The Revenge of Gaia. It’s almost as if they’ve copied it.” The following exchange then ensued:
READ MORE

Jeremy Paxman: Sure. But you then, after publishing these apocalyptic predictions, you then retracted them.

James Lovelock: Well, that’s my privilege. You see, I’m an independent scientist. I’m not funded by some government department or commercial body or anything like that. If I make a mistake, then I can go public with it. And you have to, because it is only by making mistakes that you can move ahead.
Isn't that something? The scientist that started the cult now realizes that his theory was flawed, but the zealots have run off with his gospel and continue to preach it.

Reminds me of the whole Alpha Dog theory of wolves that was recanted by the author on his death bed, but that would be a post for the PETS section.

d0ug

The whole scientific study was slanted right from the very start a lot of the scientist would not participate in the study because it only had one result.
The study was if there was global warming it must be the fault of man, that was the premise. The ice caps on Mars are receding faster than ours the just have too many cars up there !!
It all is a money grab they try to penalize everyone to gain money for a few. Carbon tax will do what except make the person collecting very rich.
An example when I was younger there was lots of fish and the government said we need a fishing licenses so we can populate the fish so there will be more. Now the have raised millions or billions of dollars there is less fish but we do have thousands of people checking to see if you have a licence

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
No argument here; the percent of man made CO2 when compared with ALL 'greenhouse' gasses is below the margin of error for measurement. Additionally, man made CO2 is a small fraction of a percent of all natural CO2. :rolleyes:

On April 2, the British-based Yorkshire Evening Post interviewed emeritus professor and former NASA scientist Les Woodcock, who called global-warming alarmism “rubbish.” Prof. Woodcock elaborated:
The term "climate change" is meaningless. The Earth’s climate has been changing since time immemorial, that is since the Earth was formed 1,000 million years ago. The theory of "man-made climate change" is an unsubstantiated hypothesis [about] our climate [which says it] has been adversely affected by the burning of fossil fuels in the last 100 years, causing the average temperature on the earth’s surface to increase very slightly but with disastrous environmental consequences.
The theory is that the CO2 emitted by burning fossil fuel is the "greenhouse gas" [that] causes "global warming" — in fact, water is a much more powerful greenhouse gas and there is 20 time more of it in our atmosphere (around one per cent of the atmosphere) whereas CO2 is only 0.04 per cent….
Carbon dioxide has been made out to be some kind of toxic gas but the truth is it’s the gas of life. We breath it out; plants breath it in. The green lobby has created a do-good industry and it becomes a way of life, like a religion. I understand why people defend it when they have spent so long believing in it, people do not like to admit they have been wrong.
“If you talk to real scientists who have no political interest, they will tell you there is nothing in global warming,” says Woodcock. “It’s an industry which creates vast amounts of money for some people."
“Even the term ‘global warming’ does not mean anything unless you give it a time scale,” Prof. Woodcock notes. “The temperature of the earth has been going up and down for millions of years, if there are extremes, it’s nothing to do with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere; it’s not permanent and it’s not caused by us. Global warming is nonsense.”