Type 2: Dangerous Problems Caused by a Heatwave

JanH

From Dr. Mercola's site 7/27/2018

Heatwaves are known to exacerbate many health conditions, but if you have Type 2 diabetes, you may not be aware that injected insulin is absorbed more quickly in warm weather, and it can cause fluctuations in your glucose levels that can make them dangerously low. If you spend long periods of time sitting by the pool or sunbathing, that can affect you too, so health officials
are warning diabetics to monitor your insulin levels closely, and to take care not to become dehydrated which, by the way, can raise blood sugar levels, according to Express. The bottom line is, checking your blood sugar levels
more often is key to keeping them level during extreme heat situations.
Whether you’re diabetic or not, dehydration can make anyone ill, and sometimes you may not even realize it’s dehydration that’s making you feel tired grumpy or sick. Senior adults, infants and children can be particularly susceptible to dehydration, so it’s important to know what to look for. Children, for instance, may have no tears even though they’re crying, and may even vomit or get diarrhea, which only heightens the problem. Older
persons may experience bad breath, sugar cravings and decreased alertness and fatigue. To stay hydrated, especially in the heat and humidity, I always recommend clean, pure water as the best thirst quencher. Beyond that, there’s quite a bit of debate about how much water we actually need to stay properly hydrated. Under normal circumstances, the idea that you need a full eight glasses of water every day isn’t completely true. But, if you’re exercising to the point of sweating, or if you’re spending long periods of time outside in the heat and sun, it’s a given that you need to up your intake.
This is where knowing that proper hydration is more than just drinking more water is important, as the crux, really, is to hydrate your CELLS so they can better hydrate your body. As I explain in my article about cellular hydration, balancing electrolytes, fiber and electrical charges within your body are keys to hydrating yourself at the cellular level.

Jenniferallen

I read your problem, Heatwaves are known to exacerbate many health conditions, Type 2 diabetes is the most common type of diabetes. It is a chronic problem in which blood glucose (sugar) can no longer be regulated. There are two reasons for this. First, the cells of the body become resistant to insulin (insulin resistant). Insulin works like a key to let glucose (blood sugar) move out of the blood and into the cells where it is used as fuel for energy. When the cells become insulin resistant, it requires more and more insulin to move sugar into the cells, and too much sugar stays in the blood. Over time, if the cells require more and more insulin, the pancreas can't make enough insulin to keep up and begins to fail.