Thousands of cancer diagnoses tied to a poor diet

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
If you follow this forum, you probably already know that poor diet can lead to cancer. Here is a study confirming that.

More than 80,000 new cancer cases are estimated to be associated with suboptimal diet among US adults in 2015, with middle-aged men and racial/ethnic minorities experiencing the largest proportion of diet-associated cancer burden in the US. JNCI Cancer Spectrum study
Your diet may have more impact on your cancer risk than you might think, a new study has found. An estimated 80,110 new cancer cases among adults 20 and older in the United States in 2015 were attributable simply to eating a poor diet, according to the study, published in the JNCI Cancer Spectrum. "This is equivalent to about 5.2% of all invasive cancer cases newly diagnosed among US adults in 2015," said Dr. Fang Zhang ... who was first author of the study. "This proportion is comparable to the proportion of cancer burden attributable to alcohol," she said. The researchers evaluated seven dietary factors: a low intake of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and dairy products and a high intake of processed meats, red meats and sugary beverages, such as soda. "Low whole-grain consumption was associated with the largest cancer burden in the US, followed by low dairy intake, high processed-meat intake, low vegetable and fruit intake, high red-meat intake and high intake of sugar-sweetened beverages," Zhang said. You may protect yourself from cancer by avoiding ultraprocessed foods and instead choosing organic foods, research has shown. People who frequently eat organic foods lowered their overall risk of developing cancer, according to a study published last year in the medical journal JAMA Internal Medicine. Specifically, those who primarily ate organic foods were more likely to ward off non-Hodgkin lymphoma and postmenopausal breast cancer than those who rarely or never ate organic foods.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Staff member
I agree Jfh, I try to buy more natural or organic foods now that I know the dangers of all the chemicals, hormones and preservatives they put in processed food these days. They use too many pesticides and herbicides when grown food too. My pets eat much healthier too these days, when I was young I bought inexpensive dog and cat foods, it's worth the extra money to keep them from dying from cancer.

Ruth

This gives me even more reason to eat a healthy diet. Sometimes I go off of it and eat the wrong stuff for awhile and then crawl back to the way I should eat. I say crawl because it takes me awhile to get back on track. Old habits seem to die hard!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Staff member
I don't have a good diet, still eat sweets, breads and not nearly enough fruits and veggies. But I go light when I overdo, and hope it balances out.

Rosiecont

If you regularly eat high-calorie diets such as pork, hot dogs, pizzas, burgers, deep freeze and deep fried chicken. Then the chance of getting cancer is higher than the average person.

ozzie

If you regularly eat high-calorie diets such as pork, hot dogs, pizzas, burgers, deep freeze and deep fried chicken. Then the chance of getting cancer is higher than the average person.
I agree with that,we have to be responsible for own health.
I have actually seen cancers in chicken meat and lamb and chickens are only 8 weeks old when killed for the market no matter what size they are I know because I have worked for KFC in a Chicken factory, many years ago.

d0ug

Many people come and visit me about health issues. I live in the countryside of the Dominican Republic. First thing I ask is where is the local farm animal hospital they look confused and say there is no hospital. Then I explain that all those animals can have the same ailments as you do. So what is the difference animals eat everything natural and eat what they want. We eat out of boxes and cans and have out taste buds fooled with additives and told by doctors not to eat what we want. Once the digestive system works properly and you eat naturally and what your body crave you will be healthy