The Dangers of Eating Late at Night

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Seemed like a lot card stacking to me.

Best reason to not eat before bed is most people eat a high carb diet, and insulin cycling when you enter first stages of sleep prevents your body from producing HGH.

knightofalbion

I'd certainly go along with that.

As the old proverb goes
'Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a pauper'

The body renews itself at night, having a stomach full of food detracts it from that process.

jfh

perpetual student
In the US Southeast, culture has changed. After all, who really moves to the north to retire. Not long ago, there were 3 meals. Breakfast, dinner, and supper. Breakfast was mostly eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy. Perhaps also grits or oatmeal. Something to "stick to your ribs". Dinner was the largest and longest meal. Supper was something as small a soup (soup-er = supper). The small meal was due to the farm community going to bed shortly after the sun goes down. That's early.

I find that a late night snack or a late supper gives me dreams. ...and they are not at all good. Nightmares mostly, even though I have a Native American dream catcher at the head of my bed.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Not eating three hours before bedtime is a good target. Exceptions for individuals would be protein or resistive starches. Alcohol or spicy foods are bad as thy can induce acid reflux.

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
I have hunger pains if I try to go to bed on an empty stomach and just lay there with my body saying "feed me"...any suggestions?

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
I have hunger pains if I try to go to bed on an empty stomach and just lay there with my body saying "feed me"...any suggestions?

Eat something high protein, or maybe a glass of water with a few teaspoons of unmodified potato starch a few hours before bedtime.